Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Rejection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Lounge Rejection

This is my first posting, so forgive me if I don't know all the ropes. I am a pretty loyal AC flyer, or at least fly them as much as their fares, schedules and itinieries allow one to do so.

My wife and I flew back from Sydney last week to LAX, on our way to Yul. I must say we probably got a bit spoiled on Qantas, as their service in J for the 14 hours was pretty much all anyone could ask for.

As most of you probably could understand, one's mood is never quite as kind after flying for 14 hours, but miracles of miracles,the customs and baggage exchange went perfectly and we were off to the AC lounge for the two and half hour break we had between flights.

I'm not really one to complain about little things, but I was really taken aback by what transpired. I arrived at the lounge desk with my J class ticket, amex platinum, new elite card etc ready, and upon entry to the lounge was told that they were FULL and we should step outside. I explained to her our day of flights, and simply told her my wife was quite tired and if possible could she find her a place or us wait five minutes, and was told no, please leave.

While I wanted to say many things, we went to the outside washrooms to wash up and change, and when we came back twenty minutes later, we were told nothing was available and again, please step out now.

For me, we just went down to Starbucks, bought some tea and made our way around the airport for a couple of hours, but the whole thing just seemed out of whack. I know AC does a lot of cross promotions, and in the spirit of selling has been busy with access cards, invitations, upgrades etc, but in the end, if they are refusing real passengers with real tickets with real connections from pretty long flights, what is the purpose of the lounges in the first place. They had by my count 14 J class passengers to Montreal, and maybe 20 of the same to Toronto, well, with 100 seats in the lounge, if they can't make room for them, who are they making room for?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AC 75K, SPG P, CX SL
That's just absurd.

Modest Suggestion: If AC is going to sell lounge access, if they have to turn away a (super)elite due to capacity they should compensate them with whatever the going rate is to buy access for the day.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:26 am

The MLL is a *G lounge. That means that AC has to let all valid *G passengers in. Depending on the time, that could include some large body aircraft (NZ and CA operate out of T2 as well).

Honestly, depending on the route, I think it's possible. I've seen half the lounge leave at certain locations leave just so everyone can pre-board the same flight. MLL includes more than just J pax.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Presuming flight schedules are redundant, I believe that AC's first priority should be it's once a day (yul) or more (YYZ) flights and then take care of China Air ect. There are many ways of accessing the lounges to be sure, but having a AC J ticket really should be the #1 route to getting into the MLL, and they should always have room for them, no real excuse, and really not at LAX at 10 am in the morning.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Thats not just absurd, its unacceptable. You should lodge a complaint to AC. Even if you are not the complaining type, and 'don't want to make a fuss', the airline needs to know about these things.

One thing in the lounge's defence, is that there is probably a 'maximum occupancy' limit die to fire regulations. But in that case, they should have told you that AND told you when pax would be exiting to catch the next outward flight so you could definitely come back then.

That said, something odd must have been happening that day and hydrogen's comment:
Originally Posted by hydrogen
The MLL is a *G lounge. That means that AC has to let all valid *G passengers in. Depending on the time, that could include some large body aircraft (NZ and CA operate out of T2 as well).

<snip>
... reminds me. Air NZ have a lounge right next to the MLL (and I think CA have their own lounge as well), but I recall it was due to be closed about this time. I've landed on QF and gone to the MLL many times over the past 2 year and never found it crowded when I arrived. I strongly suspect on this occasion it was full of Kiwis

BUT that still doesn't excuse them punting an AC (S)E? with a J ticket. Complain, complain strongly and don't be fobbed off.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Smile

What I can't figure out is the fact I heard her say they were sending the China Air passengers to Air France, so at the very least, they should have plan "B" and be able to send THEIR own to another lounge just in case this happens. I sent a letter to AC and awaiting their 5/14 week response. I was simply embarrassed that our airline would be that type, as I thought that was limited to our neighbours down south, and I wonder if they would do that themselves. I'm proud that Ac is our national carrier, they are very good, but not on that day and not at that moment. I saw the Air New Zealand plane land (funny paint job) while waiting, but presume the same planes come and go each day, so not sure what was so special about that Saturday, but maybe in 5/14 weeks, AC will let me know.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Thats not just absurd, its unacceptable. You should lodge a complaint to AC. Even if you are not the complaining type, and 'don't want to make a fuss', the airline needs to know about these things.
In the good old days -- oh, let's say just a year ago -- Air Canada used to have folks hang around here with brand new enthusiasm and a brand new name ACTopTier and would actually respond and try to fix things.

They might actually have read this thread, said "hey, that's not right, let us look into it" and might them PM you.

Now, they rarely appear, and if they do, only as part of a careful rollout of the next round of cuts and degradation of service.

My, how things change!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

If you look at everything they are doing these days, it's about revenue maximization, and as a shareholder, i say ok, however distasteful some of it affects us as passengers. I presume they watch Ryanair promos and get excited about new ways to charge passengers. The point is I don't want a $20 voucher, I want them to smarten up, as what happened was bad for business, and I wasn't the only person she told go away. As a long time flyer , I go yikes!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Doesn't surprise me though - The MLL at LAX is tiny:

Wouldn't take much to completely fill it up, and if it was full what should they have done? Evicted some people? Let you in, with the understanding you would have had to stand for two hours? Personally, I think the *A carriers in the international terminal in LAX should just get together and build a lounge shared by all...
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Been there too many times, small lounge with no bathrooms or coca cola, next door much , much better.

The picture above must have been taken standing in the cafeteria, you can see the tops of the forks & knives. No matter how you slice is, for the flights there are room for AC passengers, it s the "guests" that may fill the room.

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Mar 24, 2013 at 5:49 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
Doesn't surprise me though - The MLL at LAX is tiny:

Wouldn't take much to completely fill it up, and if it was full what should they have done? Evicted some people? Let you in, with the understanding you would have had to stand for two hours? Personally, I think the *A carriers in the international terminal in LAX should just get together and build a lounge shared by all...
Is that the MLL at T2? Doesn't look quite right, but might be the angle & lighting. If so, the pic only shows about half the lounge. 'Cafeteria' tables area is behind the pic taker, and more seats etc to the right.

But yes, its not large, but should be adequate for the core customers.

Personally, I think the *A carriers in the international terminal in LAX should just get together and build a lounge shared by all
(my underlining). Here, do you mean Tom Bradley International Terminal? If so, *A IS getting a bigger shared lounge during the current extensions / renovations.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:06 pm

Surely, at the minimum, they could let you line up and wait until someone leaves the lounge.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I think this is truly appalling, especially on a paid J fare. Of all pax you should have had priority access to the lounge.

Yes, there probably are regulations limiting the number of pax in the lounge at any one time, but surely considering your circumstances it could have been dealt with in a more customer friendly manner.

Jeez, no wonder they are called "lounge dragons"!

Meh!
The lounges and the fight that often happens with getting into them, really makes me wonder, or think twice about even bothering to go there. There is a very limited selection of drinks, a few nuts and nachos flung onto a platter, some crackers and cheap cheese; add in a few DYKWIAS yelling on their phones.....!

Sometime I wonder, is it really worth it?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:40 pm

Isn't the LAX NZ lounge available for any *A Gold card holders? If so, I would assume any *A J or F ticket holders can also access it.

But yes, unnacceptable. The agent should have at least tried to make arrangements at other lounges.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by INEC
Isn't the LAX NZ lounge available for any *A Gold card holders? If so, I would assume any *A J or F ticket holders can also access it.

But yes, unnacceptable. The agent should have at least tried to make arrangements at other lounges.
I made the comment above that I thought that the Air NZ Koru Lounge at LAX T2 was closed. However checking on the Air NZ web site, there's no mention that this has occurred yet. Air NZ Lounges

Click on 'information' at the bottom of the LAX colum,n and check out the lounge!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.