Search

Upgrading from Tango to Flex

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired

Hi Everyone,

My company only books me flex on routes that are 3+Hours. I have a few trips from YEG to YVR and am booked in Tango. Is there a way I can call AC and pay for the upgrade to Flex myself? Normally, I would not do this, but I am working to get to 50K by June for a trip to England I have in July... The two trips to YVR will push me over the threshold.

Just wanted to check on the possibility before I call AC and wait on the line for hours...

Thoughts??
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
No you can't. You would have to cancel the existing ticket and buy a Flex fare, sorry.
Can't you pay the difference to your employer to book Flex for those shorter hops?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by mountaingrl
No you can't. You would have to cancel the existing ticket and buy a Flex fare, sorry.
Can't you pay the difference to your employer to book Flex for those shorter hops?
I asked and was told it is a bit of a logistical/accounting nightmare as they book all our tickets on a company CC
Old Mar 16, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
I booked tango last week through my corporate travel agent, called in and changed bookings to flex. Paid no change fee just the fare difference.

Worked out great for 81$ and change for 4 segments up front, all short haul.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by Klove007
I booked tango last week through my corporate travel agent, called in and changed bookings to flex. Paid no change fee just the fare difference.

Worked out great for 81$ and change for 4 segments up front, all short haul.
Hmmm, OP maybe call and try then, I thought a different fare class would require a reissuing of a ticket, but maybe not ^
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, SPG, Fairmont PC
Probably best to do it within 24 hours of buying the ticket, since during that window you can change or cancel without penalty. Likely you'd have to pay change fee and fare difference after that.

AC should consider offering fare class upgrades for price difference only. It would likely be profitable for them, because of people in situations similar to OP.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
I did do it within the first 24 hrs directly with ac reservations.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There have been some reports that if your sole reason for the change is to go from Tango to Flex, they'll do it without a change fee, regardless of when you call, since they're getting more money from you, while providing the same service.

Although I think someone said they won't do it to Latitude, since that would let you cancel your ticket.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:26 pm

Please let us know how you make out! Would definitely consider doing this to help me out getting status on my next couple bookings!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC - SE100K

Yet another reason why AC should enable AQM accrual when one purchases a LMU from a Tango fare. I bet there are many employees in the OP's situation that would purchase the upgrade for the miles, and keep it easy on their company accountants in the process.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Hertz Gold
Get your company to pay for the Tango ticket then have it upgraded to another fare class within 24 hrs and pay the difference in fare yourself.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
I've done this many times, as my company only pays for Tango in most circumstances and/or the fare differential is acceptable or on sale. I've never had a problem getting it done by calling AC and I've never paid a change fee. Sometimes the rep automatically excludes the change fee, and other times when they try to charge I tell them there is no change fee and they check with someone else and then don't charge it.

I've only done this change fee-free from Tango to Flex or from Tango/Flex to a Z fare. I can see a PP's point that they wouldn't let you do it fee-free from a restricted fare to an unrestricted (J/Y/B).
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:13 am

I did this just a few days ago. The only issue I had was getting the agent to see the cheapest flex fare. initially he wanted to charge over $400 but I pointed out the lowest flex fare was only $90 more than the Tango.

There was no mention of any change fee.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AC*E, SPG G, Nexus, GE
I upgraded one leg of a TATL flight from Tango to Flex... I had to pay the difference in price from the original booking day price, not the current price. So if the difference today is $50 and but the difference on the original booking day is $75, you will need to pay $75

or at least that's the scam they told me
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
This should be possible, without a fee, even if it's not within the 24 hours. See this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...e-flights.html

Of course, you can't upgrade to a Latitude or Exec Flex fare without a fee as that would let you cancel the ticket without penalty afterwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.