Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

An interesting sample of AC defectors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An interesting sample of AC defectors?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by gglave
In reading FT, it seems to me the SEs don't leave - They have a pretty good experience with AC (regular upgrades, concierges, front of waitlists, reward availability). They like it and they're not going anywhere.
I disagree. I'm SE and I've never flown so many other airlines than AC in my life. The non-stop benefit cut backs as well as the expensive fares are just too much.

I honestly believe the only people they haven't pissed of (yet) are those once a year (or two years) ultra discount Flight Centre leisure travelers that don't care about status, just Disney World. They get pissed off on that trip, but forget by next vacation.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Yet year after year a goodly batch of Air Canada fliers, most of them with fairly high status with Air Canada, see the grass as greener on the other side of the border and take their leave.
In reading FT, it seems to me the SEs don't leave - They have a pretty good experience with AC (regular upgrades, concierges, front of waitlists, reward availability). They like it and they're not going anywhere.

It's the Es (and 'formerly E now-Ses') who leave, and frankly, I think that's AC's goal. AC doesn't mind losing them.

As others have said, AC seems to dividing itself into two tiers -

- A top tier, for those passengers who regularly fly paid Executive or Latitude. They provide services and programs to support them. This is where the SEs (now 100Ks) live.

- A bottom tier, for leisure travellers who might otherwise be on Transat, Sunwing, WestJet etc (aka Rouge & Tango fares).

The "in between" traveller (of which I'm one) isn't of much interest to AC any more.

The senior-tier FTers seem to be happy about this as well - Witness 'bottom feeder,' 'don't let the door hit you on the way out' comments etc. Can't blame them, I suppose, as it makes for emptier lounges, better chances for upgrades etc.
That may be true in general but plenty of SEs have left, me included.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Some of us are "prisoners of our own device" as the song says.

Too vested and frankly, late in the age game to start over......but, when pushed, may have to reconsider....
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:22 pm

I just found out that my own brother defected to OW.

He is a professional who flies J for leisure/conference purposes only, been AC*E the last few years, annually 2 J trips to Asia, and 2 J trips to Europe type thing. Just found out that he flew to LHR via BA and HKG via CX this year instead of AC. I can't really comment, I don't fly those two airlines but he swears by the CX services over AC.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Qster
I can't really comment, I don't fly those two airlines but he swears by the CX services over AC.
I am shocked.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
I am shocked.
Sigh, unlike him, I don't have the disposable income to fly J for leisure and work only pays for me to travel within Canada/US. :-(. One day, I will get there.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Qster
I don't have the disposable income to fly J for leisure
Disposable income has very little to do with leisure flying in J these days Just gotta be smart.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Disposable income has very little to do with leisure flying in J these days Just gotta be smart.
Disposable income has everything to do with Leisure flying in J.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

That may be true in general but plenty of SEs have left, me included.
Just asking. Do you ever see yourself a top tier member in any airline program in the future? Your insight is always quite interesting,even by rail.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I'm with rankourabu on this one.

Many FTers rack up hundreds of thousands of miles each year on company paid travel, and then use those miles for leisure travel.
Before I left the corporate world, we (wife and two kids) flew F/J to Hawaii every year for 10 years, with flights and hotels paid in miles, all earned on flights paid by my Fortune 500 employer.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many FTers rack up hundreds of thousands of miles each year on company paid travel, and then use those miles for leisure travel. Before I left the corporate world, we (wife and two kids) flew F/J to Hawaii every year for 10 years, with flights and hotels paid in miles, all earned on flights paid by my Fortune 500 employer.
Exactly. Unless of course you are redeeming Aeroplan points, than you do need hundreds of dollars of disposable income for scamcharges
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Should probably say that Disposable income has everything to do with Leisure flying in paid J...
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry

Many FTers rack up hundreds of thousands of miles each year on company paid travel, and then use those miles for leisure travel.
Before I left the corporate world, we (wife and two kids) flew F/J to Hawaii every year for 10 years, with flights and hotels paid in miles, all earned on flights paid by my Fortune 500 employer.
I don't have the numbers at hand, but what are the scamcharges these days on four J tickets to Hawaii?

Also, explain to me how you ever FIND four J-class reward tickets on one flight to Hawaii?

Even if you did find four tickets how many points would you need? 400,000? Who does that much flying? Even with credit cards adding to the mix it's pretty tough.

You need disposable income for the scam charges and some kind of magic beans to find four J tickets.

Colour me a skeptic.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need disposable income for the scam charges and some kind of magic beans to find four J tickets.

Colour me a skeptic.
well, SFO777, did say in the past, and did not say using Aeroplan points. Using other, more useful points, there is no issues finding J seats for <$200 to go to virtually anywhere in the world in J.

I spend 12-15 weeks out of the country annually on vacations, I work part time, which doesnt really translate into a lot of disposable income, dont have a corporation bankrolling my points earning, and yet still manage to fly upfront about 60% of the time. It is doable.

While I understand why AE keeps making sense to some people who are corporate bankrolled, and receive unpublished perks, Aeroplan makes ZERO sense for anyone paying for their flights out of pocket, and looking to maximize rewards on their hard earned points.

I know plenty of Aeroplan E's and SE's who spend over $10k on personal travel a year, who have defected from Aeroplan. I guess these are what corporate drone high rollers who fly from Winnipeg to Moose Jaw weekly would call bottom feeders.

Last edited by rankourabu; Mar 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Old Mar 19, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC 50K E, A3 Gold, CX Gold
I'm a Altitude 50K and this year I'm still at 0 status miles. Usually by this time I'd be close to 20k in status miles with AC...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.