Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

An interesting sample of AC defectors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An interesting sample of AC defectors?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
As those following this forum know, I have migrated away from AC/AE over the past few years as I viewed the program deteriorating become of less value given my travel patterns. While I had maintained SE status for the past several years and always had either that status or Elite status since such a program was introduced in the late 1980s, in recent years I shifted a lot of my overseas flights to UA and earned 1K in it for a fews years. Given the deterioration of aspects of that program but more so service issues since the merger with CO, I have now moved most of that flying (transborder and some international) to AA and become ExecPlat in its program. This year I am 75KElite with AC but this will be my final year with any elite status in the program, and any AC flying will be restricted to intra-Canadian flights. I also dropped down to Platinum in the MP program but intend to keep my STAR status through flying at least 75K EQMs on UA and its partners, including AC, and crediting those flights to MP.

There have been numerous posts, particularly this year, about people defecting form AC/AE and joining one or another of the US airline programs. For anyone taking a lot of transborder flights, this is a no-brainer. After achieving top tier elite, automatic upgrades to the front cabin is pretty much guaranteed about four or five days before the flight(s), no vouchers or eCredits required. So why fly AC unless your company doesn't mind paying for J or uses Latitude passes which also do the comp upgrade thing?

However, actual numbers of defectors remains speculative...at least for me until last Monday when I flew AA to DFW for my connection onward to NRT, upgraded shortly after booking my $1200 ticket using AA SWUs. Of the 16 people in the full front cabin, I counted three who sported not only AA ExecPlat tags but the new AC 75KElite tags. Counting me, that would represent 1/4 of those on the flight who have obviously decided it was better to give AA their money to fly to the US than AC.

While I don't believe this would provide an accurate scientific sampling, it is an interesting random sample that surely must be affecting AC's competitiveness and reinforces the belief that a lot of top tier elites are leaving, perhaps following my path of going from SE last year to 75KElite this year to nothing next year, but maintaining top tier elite status in one or another of the US programs.
Your message is pointless ... They are doing the right thing ... They don't care about customers like you who want "free" upgrades ... it's not bringing "real" money in ... They care about J pax and people willing to pay at least 3000$ to 4000$ for Transpac in FLEX ... beu bye!!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE (8+ years) + 1MM
WS for short haul

Well AC has lost my west coast business to WS. A combination of:

[1] direct YYJ-YEG flights meaning a 1 hr vs. 2.5-3 hr flight with AC (no YVR stop - sorry YVR),
[2] cheaper by 25%,
[3] live tv (yes, that's actually quite nice),
[4] jets vs. prop (AC actually replaced their CRJs from YYJ-YYC with Q400 props which are up to 20% slower, and bumpier over the rockies),
[5] paying $75 if you buy a flex fare to get an earlier flight to Victoria (pushing the cost even higher than WS)

All this makes this a no-brainer for anyone traveling short haul. AC only offers 1000-2000 Altitude pints round trip.

What really pushed me over the edge was my upgrade on the YEG-YVR leg in February. The meal consisted of a choice of a bag of chips or a small chocolate bar. Really? I can't imagine anyone paying for business class if this is what they got on an E90.

I'm a 200+K traveller last year and MM SE and once WS offers decent premium economy or business class across the country, I will move that business over as well.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by YUL_Around_The_World
Your message is pointless ... They are doing the right thing ... They don't care about customers like you who want "free" upgrades ... it's not bringing "real" money in ... They care about J pax and people willing to pay at least 3000$ to 4000$ for Transpac in FLEX ... beu bye!!
It is and it isn't.

On the one hand AC is shafting some of its most loyal customers and they're responding. OPs message points out how.

On the other hand, AC has decided that its FF program isn't getting it what it wants, so its out shafting folk, which is fair enough.

Truthbetold, amongst those of us who have flown AC a lot over the last few years, its not clear that AC's executives have ever had their eye on the ball. They have made some pretty bad choices in the past (spinning off AE, seeing as FF programs have been pretty successful money generators for airlines like QF, which AC now wants to emulate), and I don't think its any great secret that without the Government bending rules for AC (protection from competition, protection from AC employees, protection from federal pension laws), this airline would have changed for the better a long time ago, even if it came through a painful restructuring. You could replace the entire exec with trained monkeys and AC would still do just as well as it is doing right now, largely because its performance is tied to external factors.

Hence OPs ...and others...need to put up a red flag every now and then. At least they're being proactive, unlike the "told you so" crowd that will show up as soon as the unions start trying to claw back their share of the profit pie if/when it expands.

Can AC afford to piss off its more loyal flyers? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll find out soon enough. Should the loyal fliers be complaining? Well, what would you rather they do? Keep quiet and wait for AC to really struggle after its alienated its FFs

After all, its not clear that this is a zero-sum game - it could well be a lose-lose game.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
[3] live tv (yes, that's actually quite nice),

WS is phasing TVs out - no new aircraft deliveries contain this feature. Replaced with pay-as-your go rental tablets. Shades of Jetsgo. I know, I was there.

WS is also contemplating "Comfort Plus" paid seating sections - two-abreast.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by back seat
How can AC see who the defectors are or even care with their high load factor?
The thing I wonder about load factor is this: Let's assume AC's load factor is higher than it was five years ago. Five years ago did they still have the same number of seats to fill, or were there more of them? It's easy to claim high load factors if you're flying fewer aircraft. That's the piece I don't know...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Tangoer

WS is also contemplating "Comfort Plus" paid seating sections - two-abreast.
Which, on short haul flights at least, is precisely what AC's domestic Exec Class has become.

I don't fly much anymore but when I do it's always either paid J or J reward. If WS debuts "Comfort Plus" I can see no reason why I'd stick with AC paid J domestically. And seeing as I've already switched my international flying away from AC then AC will lose me. I'm sure they won't care but it's still their loss.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by acysb87
On the shuttle bus this am from hotel to SFO. A bunch of flight attendants from various airlines,including AA. The AA bunch were vocal about routes,distances to commute for work and passengers on board.
One AA attendant quipped she told a recent pax that" we are here for your safety,we do not have to like you."
Someone answered back, 'Remind me why I do not fly AA?" ^
Someone else took a quick dig as well at the FAs
So I guess that my sample of 2 people taking shots at AA FAs would mean 20% .......
Fair enough given your sample. However, I must say the front line staff at AA have been the most positive and customer oriented I've come across in years. I'm not putting down AC's front line people, they're as variable as any company's and can't be all branded by the occasional indifferent ones. However, I've not yet come across a "sour" AA FA or gate agent. The last three transPac flight crews have been great, with members going out of their way to offer me more than the normal business class service (including sampling wines from the F cabin without my having to ask). Yes, like at AC and UA, few FAs like their company's president...it will be a wait and see through the merger but they did vote to support the initial US entrees. (There's an interesting thread on the subject of AA crews on that forum over on MP for a range of more informed impressions.)

And The Lev, you left out the wifi on AA's B738s, so yes on this route AA does have an equipment advantage.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:57 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by yulred
It is and it isn't.

On the one hand AC is shafting some of its most loyal customers and they're responding. OPs message points out how.

On the other hand, AC has decided that its FF program isn't getting it what it wants, so its out shafting folk, which is fair enough.

Truthbetold, amongst those of us who have flown AC a lot over the last few years, its not clear that AC's executives have ever had their eye on the ball. They have made some pretty bad choices in the past (spinning off AE, seeing as FF programs have been pretty successful money generators for airlines like QF, which AC now wants to emulate), and I don't think its any great secret that without the Government bending rules for AC (protection from competition, protection from AC employees, protection from federal pension laws), this airline would have changed for the better a long time ago, even if it came through a painful restructuring. You could replace the entire exec with trained monkeys and AC would still do just as well as it is doing right now, largely because its performance is tied to external factors.

Hence OPs ...and others...need to put up a red flag every now and then. At least they're being proactive, unlike the "told you so" crowd that will show up as soon as the unions start trying to claw back their share of the profit pie if/when it expands.

Can AC afford to piss off its more loyal flyers? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll find out soon enough. Should the loyal fliers be complaining? Well, what would you rather they do? Keep quiet and wait for AC to really struggle after its alienated its FFs

After all, its not clear that this is a zero-sum game - it could well be a lose-lose game.
What would the monkeys be trained in?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

As those following this forum know, I have migrated away from AC/AE over the past few years as I viewed the program deteriorating become of less value given my travel patterns. While I had maintained SE status for the past several years and always had either that status or Elite status since such a program was introduced in the late 1980s, in recent years I shifted a lot of my overseas flights to UA and earned 1K in it for a fews years. Given the deterioration of aspects of that program but more so service issues since the merger with CO, I have now moved most of that flying (transborder and some international) to AA and become ExecPlat in its program. This year I am 75KElite with AC but this will be my final year with any elite status in the program, and any AC flying will be restricted to intra-Canadian flights. I also dropped down to Platinum in the MP program but intend to keep my STAR status through flying at least 75K EQMs on UA and its partners, including AC, and crediting those flights to MP.

There have been numerous posts, particularly this year, about people defecting form AC/AE and joining one or another of the US airline programs. For anyone taking a lot of transborder flights, this is a no-brainer. After achieving top tier elite, automatic upgrades to the front cabin is pretty much guaranteed about four or five days before the flight(s), no vouchers or eCredits required. So why fly AC unless your company doesn't mind paying for J or uses Latitude passes which also do the comp upgrade thing?

However, actual numbers of defectors remains speculative...at least for me until last Monday when I flew AA to DFW for my connection onward to NRT, upgraded shortly after booking my $1200 ticket using AA SWUs. Of the 16 people in the full front cabin, I counted three who sported not only AA ExecPlat tags but the new AC 75KElite tags. Counting me, that would represent 1/4 of those on the flight who have obviously decided it was better to give AA their money to fly to the US than AC.

While I don't believe this would provide an accurate scientific sampling, it is an interesting random sample that surely must be affecting AC's competitiveness and reinforces the belief that a lot of top tier elites are leaving, perhaps following my path of going from SE last year to 75KElite this year to nothing next year, but maintaining top tier elite status in one or another of the US programs.
If life were truly that simplistic then Air Canada's way forward would be to eliminate their FF program altogether (rather than just renaming it).

The route to world domination would be equally clear - sell nothing but full J and full Y fares.

You really should explain that to the AC executives. I'm sure they would be grateful for your profound wisdom.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:11 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tracon
Of the 16 people in the full front cabin, I counted three who sported not only AA ExecPlat tags but the new AC 75KElite tags. Counting me, that would represent 1/4 of those on the flight who have obviously decided it was better to give AA their money to fly to the US than AC.
I flew YVR-SEA a couple weeks ago on QX. 3 of us had AC elite tags.

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Today I overheard a co worker praising Admirals Club Lounges over MLLs. Is this so?
Probably a typical Canadian who will trash AC even if it's not the truth.
So most Canadians ("typical") are liars?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Academic
This is probably my last year as SE, but I'm cutting back on my non-domestic AC flights and flyimng other * carriers. Right now I'm at ZRH on my way to HKG on LX. Apart from the bizarre requirement that you need a cell phone to get a text message to log in to the wi-fi, I'm very pleased with LX. Next time it will likely be TK.
I was just in the Swiss lounge at ZRH and they'll print you out a code for the wife at the desk if you tell them you don't have a local mobile.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I was just in the Swiss lounge at ZRH and they'll print you out a code for the wife at the desk if you tell them you don't have a local mobile.
You can also go to the information desk downstairs (in direction of E gates one flight down) and scan your boarding pass to get a code then go back upstairs to the Swiss lounge.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
I believe that the idea that they have missed the mark is likely wrong. They have missed it for the general FF community who is gaming the system, but they answer to shareholders - not to say that they do a good job at that either, but that is where they think they are trying to aim.

Since so many will pay the higher, upgradeable fares or the J fares, we can subsidized low T fares to the masses. It is the only way that AC can fill seats and compete with the rest of the pack given their bloated and ineffective staffing at all levels. A combination of being captive and lazy keeps us there.

Up to 2 years ago, I flew DL/KLM for nearly all of my TATL and US flights, but circumstances have changed - as have my patterns. IMO, all airlines that I've been on suck, but I haven't experienced the upper crust since paying for J on them is out of my budget...
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair enough given your sample. However, I must say the front line staff at AA have been the most positive and customer oriented I've come across in years. I'm not putting down AC's front line people, they're as variable as any company's and can't be all branded by the occasional indifferent ones. However, I've not yet come across a "sour" AA FA or gate agent. The last three transPac flight crews have been great, with members going out of their way to offer me more than the normal business class service (including sampling wines from the F cabin without my having to ask). Yes, like at AC and UA, few FAs like their company's president...it will be a wait and see through the merger but they did vote to support the initial US entrees. (There's an interesting thread on the subject of AA crews on that forum over on MP for a range of more informed impressions.)

And The Lev, you left out the wifi on AA's B738s, so yes on this route AA does have an equipment advantage.
The nicest and most polite FA I met in 2012 worked a AA flight I was on from Chicago to Green Bay. She loved her job and it showed.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer

What would the monkeys be trained in?

How to get into the right offices on Parliament Hill, hat in hand. Like the minkey in 'Return of the Pink Panther'.

In fairness, AC apparently has a history of appointing political hacks to its executive, presumably to train the others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.