Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

An interesting sample of AC defectors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An interesting sample of AC defectors?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
I'm halfway there. Still doing 100k with AC, TATL mostly, but the second 100 which used to go to them has moved to cathay/OW. Qatar joining OW will be a game changer for me in Montreal, as it is the easiest, and by far most pleasant way for me to get to Asia without travelling through toronto or vancouver.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:55 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by back seat
Over the last three months I find myself flying almost weekly and for the most part I keep coming across extremely full flights.....

How can AC see who the defectors are or even care with their high load factor?
That of course is a large part of the problem. Right now, with pretty much every airline on the planet making money and showing good load factors, every airline exec loudly crows "see what a great job I'm doing -- that's why I deserve a 300% salary increase and $7.8million bonus."

'Course the instant the economy tips and loads/profits start to decline, they will all in unison proclaim how it's all the economy's fault.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
My travels are almost exclusively domestic. WS is a non-starter...so I'll stick with AC.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Thought about jumping, but decided to use my Star Gold 50K status recently to board in UA's Group 2. Got empty overhead bins everytime ^.

I'll stay with Altitude/Aeroplan, but do most of the flying with UA, since we get free Club access and my Nexus card helped bypass them March Break lines departing from/arriving at YYZ. Flying UA or AC out of YYZ doesn't really matter to me; whatever's cheaper, since I travel only for vacations.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I have thought of it but stayed with AC for one year as a lowly E35. So far no upg cleared over the last six months. Company pays for Flex in NA and more importantly half my flights are YYZ-YVR. I already have Nexus and Amex Plat and AA Gold and am laying the steps for a defection. I moved my CC from Aeroplan to Amex Plat. If I dont hit E50 this year I will likely move as there is not much benefit to being E35 (no Star Gold). No chance of hitting E75. On TATL I earn nothing while flying on vacation on LH. I have flown UA before and upg on my own dime. So the choice will be AA or MP.
I believe AC likes 2 types of customers - the low end once or twice a year flyer with no benefits/status (think Rouge or the new 77) or the high end SE or J customer. Everyone else is disposable specially if they fly within Canada.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by acysb87
BTW , my AC flights today were on-time,100% capacity from SFO.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: MP 1K,
I'm a Defector.

6 or 7 return flights a year YYJ-SYD now go to United via SFO. I have 100 Eeupgrades points to use and then drain the aeroplan account, then the 2-3 Family vacations/year will go to United as well.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
This is probably my last year as SE, but I'm cutting back on my non-domestic AC flights and flyimng other * carriers. Right now I'm at ZRH on my way to HKG on LX. Apart from the bizarre requirement that you need a cell phone to get a text message to log in to the wi-fi, I'm very pleased with LX. Next time it will likely be TK.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:38 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by acysb87
On the shuttle bus this am from hotel to SFO. A bunch of flight attendants from various airlines,including AA. The AA bunch were vocal about routes,distances to commute for work and passengers on board.
One AA attendant quipped she told a recent pax that" we are here for your safety,we do not have to like you."
Someone answered back, 'Remind me why I do not fly AA?" ^
Someone else took a quick dig as well at the FAs
So I guess that my sample of 2 people taking shots at AA FAs would mean 20% .......

BTW , my AC flights today were on-time,100% capacity from SFO.
Are you sure you weren't on the previous flight?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:48 am

I'm not going to make SE next year. Not even sure about 50K at this point.

I moved the majority of my premium business to EY & EK. They simply offer prices that LH+AC can't touch. The one-way first class from CMB to NA is especially delicious.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Are you sure you weren't on the previous flight?
If you meant 36 hours previous outbound,then yes. There were 2 empty J seats and a few in Y .(you would be correct in not 100% capacity previous flight.

BTW, just bought a rail pass for intra Europe travel in April. Bought 1st class,to give it a try. So much easier than flying/driving there.Driving not the issue,parking the car in a hard to find parking spot is the problem
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: various
Last year I did my annual YYZ-Australia using any star alliance except AC, a bit long but really enjoyed the change.

Next month I'll be flying BA TATL for the first time in almost 20 years......see how that goes. Maybe a switch to OW....who knows.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Of the 16 people in the full front cabin, I counted three who sported not only AA ExecPlat tags but the new AC 75KElite tags. Counting me, that would represent 1/4 of those on the flight who have obviously decided it was better to give AA their money to fly to the US than AC.
I flew YVR-SEA a couple weeks ago on QX. 3 of us had AC elite tags.

Originally Posted by Tangoer
Today I overheard a co worker praising Admirals Club Lounges over MLLs. Is this so?
Probably a typical Canadian who will trash AC even if it's not the truth.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tangoer
Today I overheard a co worker praising Admirals Club Lounges over MLLs. Is this so?
Originally Posted by tracon
Probably a typical Canadian who will trash AC even if it's not the truth.
Have you even visited an Admirals Club club recently? The LAX, SFO, DFW (D), and ORD H/K clubs are indeed better than any MLL I've visited recently (YUL-D, YUL-TB, YYZ-D) and that's before we even talk about the quality and helpfulness (or lack thereof) of the agents.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: 50K
Originally Posted by Dorian
My situation is a bit different. Our group is on paid J and almost 95% TPAC/TATL or YYZ.

Kind of obvious to people here but when you are paid J, status is kind of irrelevant. This means we can fly whatever carrier we like while taking in to account fare.

What has happened over the past year is that far more of our flights have been on CX, QR, EK, LH, etc.

We really used to be severely loyal to AC...but we've been burned time and time again by the executive...so we gave up caring.
From my perspective the above comment is the one AC executives need to pay most attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.