AC Could learn from this

Old Mar 7, 13, 1:34 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: YQR
Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,Bonvoy Tit, LTG
Posts: 1,266
AC Could learn from this

My wife and I recently took reward flights to SIN with AC. The trip was made at short notice so we were in the back of the bus and had some indirect routing. My wife is diabetic so we had ordered special meals.

We flew from YYC to LHR on AC 850. A horrible experience. We were truly towards the back on a full flight with a couple of school trips. There was less legroom, or so it seemed to me, than on a short haul on a Dash 8 or CRJ. The FA said they had squeezed in extra rows. For such a long flight it was horrible. I have always foung AC to be more generous with seat pitch but I guess that is a thing of the past.

At LHR we used our *G status to use the SQ Lounge to shower/ freshen up. When we came to board we found they had upgraded us to the Business Class cabin, which we were not expecting as we were after all both humble Es and were also on Reward Tickets.

This is where the difference in service really came though. It turned out that they had no diabetic meals in the J Cabin. This was a total non issue for us as there was a pretty good choice of menus and my wife was able to select perfectly adequate ( more than adequate I would say ) meals from the menu and to pick and choose what she ate. We never said a word. However, at the end of the flight both the Senior FA in J , followed by the SD, both came up and apologized profusely for the lack of diabetic meals. Now there were meals for her but in the Y Cabin where we were expecting to be and I guess they hadn't wanted to serve that in J. Anyway my wife was telling them that it was not a problem at all, not even the tiniest bit. However, despite our protestations they insisted on giving her a S$100 certificate to use on in flight purchases on our return flight. Now that is what I call service.An unexpected upgrade followed by compensation because the upgrade wasn't up to thei standards. Kudos to SIA and a lesson in Customer service for AC.
Fizzer is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 1:38 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia and Canada
Programs: Qantas FF Plat; AC 50K; Virgin Aust Silver; SPG, Accor Gold
Posts: 795
Wow. EVERY airline could learn from that!
RooFlyer is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 1:42 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: YWG
Posts: 2,168
Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post

We flew from YYC to LHR on AC 850. A horrible experience. We were truly towards the back on a full flight with a couple of school trips. There was less legroom, or so it seemed to me, than on a short haul on a Dash 8 or CRJ. The FA said they had squeezed in extra rows. For such a long flight it was horrible. I have always foung AC to be more generous with seat pitch but I guess that is a thing of the past.
You just wait until that 77H this summer...
hydrogen is online now  
Old Mar 7, 13, 1:48 pm
  #4  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,188
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

No, not all of them, sadly.
KenHamer is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 2:09 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto - YYZ
Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Posts: 5,445
Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
My wife and I recently took reward flights to SIN with AC. The trip was made at short notice so we were in the back of the bus and had some indirect routing. My wife is diabetic so we had ordered special meals.

We flew from YYC to LHR on AC 850. A horrible experience. We were truly towards the back on a full flight with a couple of school trips. There was less legroom, or so it seemed to me, than on a short haul on a Dash 8 or CRJ. The FA said they had squeezed in extra rows. For such a long flight it was horrible. I have always foung AC to be more generous with seat pitch but I guess that is a thing of the past.

At LHR we used our *G status to use the SQ Lounge to shower/ freshen up. When we came to board we found they had upgraded us to the Business Class cabin, which we were not expecting as we were after all both humble Es and were also on Reward Tickets.

This is where the difference in service really came though. It turned out that they had no diabetic meals in the J Cabin. This was a total non issue for us as there was a pretty good choice of menus and my wife was able to select perfectly adequate ( more than adequate I would say ) meals from the menu and to pick and choose what she ate. We never said a word. However, at the end of the flight both the Senior FA in J , followed by the SD, both came up and apologized profusely for the lack of diabetic meals. Now there were meals for her but in the Y Cabin where we were expecting to be and I guess they hadn't wanted to serve that in J. Anyway my wife was telling them that it was not a problem at all, not even the tiniest bit. However, despite our protestations they insisted on giving her a S$100 certificate to use on in flight purchases on our return flight. Now that is what I call service.An unexpected upgrade followed by compensation because the upgrade wasn't up to thei standards. Kudos to SIA and a lesson in Customer service for AC.
Sounds like you had a great flight and absolutely agree that the S$100 certificate was most generous! Regarding your AC flights - there hasn't been a configuration change on 767's/A330's/777's since the aircraft was "XM'd" several years ago. No extra rows have been squeezed in. When a customer has been upgraded from Y>J, in the absence of a special meal appropriate to the class of service, we give the option of brining the Y meal forward if there is nothing suitable from the regular J menu. This most commonly occurs with Kosher, Diabetic and Gluten-Free meals. Not to take anything away from top notch SQ, rest assured that most of us will make use of all resources on board to ensure our customers comfort.
ACYYZ/SD is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 2:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 310
there was a really great article today about united. A guy was rushing to see his dying mother and they went out of their way to make sure he made it. they held the connecting plane for him and personally transfered his bags. Some airlines do care.
todare is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 2:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Back in YYZ after 3 years of expat life in LHR
Programs: AC SE100K
Posts: 924
Originally Posted by todare View Post
there was a really great article today about united. A guy was rushing to see his dying mother and they went out of their way to make sure he made it. they held the connecting plane for him and personally transfered his bags. Some airlines do care.
Some excellent employees do care.
The airline, and many not-so-excellent employees don't give a hoot.
Depends on who you get on any given day.
lostinthewash is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 3:27 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,416
SQ does have their issues, and are sticklers for procedures, but there is a reason
for my handle on this forum...
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 3:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,348
Originally Posted by lostinthewash View Post
Some excellent employees do care.
The airline, and many not-so-excellent employees don't give a hoot.
Depends on who you get on any given day.
Yes. In my rookie days of frequent flying (AC*P), I had a pretty amazing experience with AC when I needed help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ir-canada.html
yvr76 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 3:33 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: YQR
Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,Bonvoy Tit, LTG
Posts: 1,266
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Sounds like you had a great flight and absolutely agree that the S$100 certificate was most generous! Regarding your AC flights - there hasn't been a configuration change on 767's/A330's/777's since the aircraft was "XM'd" several years ago. No extra rows have been squeezed in. When a customer has been upgraded from Y>J, in the absence of a special meal appropriate to the class of service, we give the option of brining the Y meal forward if there is nothing suitable from the regular J menu. This most commonly occurs with Kosher, Diabetic and Gluten-Free meals. Not to take anything away from top notch SQ, rest assured that most of us will make use of all resources on board to ensure our customers comfort.
I take your word on the aircraft configuration.I was only repeating what the FA had obviously erroneously told me ( when I looked shocked after preboarding if I recall ). I haven't taken that flight before but I have to admit that I don't ever recalll being so squeezed for legroom on an AC flight before. I normally prefer AC because my knees aren't jammed against the seat in front unlike some. Perhaps when I pay by Flex/Tango I get to select better seats but because this was R I was assigned seats. I really don't know but it was perhaps one of the most unpleasant flights I have taken in some time, with that compounded by its length.

My original point though was not a diatribe against AC ( which I can see it could be interpreted as ) but more kudos to SQ. What you suggested would happen on an AC flight would have been more than acceptable and what we would have expected TBH. What occurred, however, was a committment to going beyond what would be expected as a minimum response and going the extra mile. That was where SQ stood out and what I meant by the title of the post. I agree with the second post that All airlines could learn from this.

I work in an industry ( health care) where there is little to no competition on price and the only way one provider can differentiate itself from another is by service. Thus I am sensitive to when there is an obvious committment to not only acceptable service but exceptional service. To that extent, as generally happy as I am with AC, SQ has gone above and beyond and would earn my business whenever I had the choice. If AC could harness the same philosophy company wide ( and I agree there are some exceptional examples within AC, although unfortunately all too often that does not come across as the case) then AC would ultimately benefit from this IMHO.

Last edited by Fizzer; Mar 7, 13 at 3:38 pm
Fizzer is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 3:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,348
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD View Post
Sounds like you had a great flight and absolutely agree that the S$100 certificate was most generous! Regarding your AC flights - there hasn't been a configuration change on 767's/A330's/777's since the aircraft was "XM'd" several years ago. No extra rows have been squeezed in.
Fair enough but the new 77H aircraft coming on this summer will really do a disservice to AC's reputation.
yvr76 is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 6:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario, CAN
Posts: 5,813
Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
Fair enough but the new 77H aircraft coming on this summer will really do a disservice to AC's reputation.
A disservice to AC's reputation as an unprofitable carrier?
CloudsBelow is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 8:23 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa
Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Posts: 389
IIRC the XM'd 767 have an inch more legroom in rows 12-17 than they do towards the back. Can't seem to find it on seat guru at the moment.
YOWie is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 8:41 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YYZ/YUL/YOW
Programs: TK*G/E+ SPG (G)
Posts: 2,929
Originally Posted by 4havnfun View Post
IIRC the XM'd 767 have an inch more legroom in rows 12-17 than they do towards the back. Can't seem to find it on seat guru at the moment.
Its true. This past December/Jan, I was on a 767 and scored a seat with what felt like 33" legroom on my outbound; on my inbound it was definitely 31" - one can really feel the difference. I believe the window/aisle seats toward the back are 31", while the midsection are 32" and the forward Y cabin has up to 33". I may well be wrong, so don't take my word for it.

As an aside, I think its fair to say that AC employees and AC are two very different entities. I've rarely had cause for complaint when dealing with an AC agent in situations where they have any amount of discretion over how to proceed. However, when they go by the book (and I don't think they really have a choice), it can get very frustrating indeed.

Part of the problem is that North Americans put up with a lot of the nonsense AC dishes out - in fact there's not a few folk on this board who would rip into you for simply suggesting that AC should even acknowledge the absence of diabetic meal in J (again, thats not to say that an AC employee wouldn't rectify the situation in any which way that he could, as YYZ/SD has made clear, but don't expect any form of compensation) - they would simply write you off as ungrateful after recieving a freebie J upgrade.

I think the mark of a true quality carrier is its ability to treat even an op-up in J as a full fare J pax with all the privileges. Its the very definition of professionalism - do your job properly without being influenced by circumstances.
yulred is offline  
Old Mar 7, 13, 8:44 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YOW
Posts: 2,351
Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
Perhaps when I pay by Flex/Tango I get to select better seats but because this was R I was assigned seats.
You can call AC Reservations for seats on reward flights as well. You would have access to the same seats as you have on a Flex ticket. Even if it is really late the priority seats are usually open still.
SensFan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: