Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Distinction: the new program for aeroplan collectors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I think it's pretty useless, but better than nothing. What do you think?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Aeroplan inhouse loyalty scheme

Interesting development on the heels of losing control over Top Tier. AP sent me a survey on their own proposed loyalty programme recognizing silver, gold and platinum members on the basis of mileage earned, being all AP activity, not only flight activity.

Could be an interesting development.

As an aside, I have not tried, is the Altitude card actually still an Aeroplan card as well i.e. it can be used to swipe at partner stores to accumulate?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
That is interesting! So it looks like we'll soon have to choose between Aeroplan and ALtitude.

A choice between two losers.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I wonder how AE would recognize people who fly a lot? Give them more points?

AE points are so worthless now as a travel option with YQ and all the other charges added on. So what would be the benefit of more points other than an endless supply of toasters?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:58 am

I like toasters
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by markandrew

As an aside, I have not tried, is the Altitude card actually still an Aeroplan card as well i.e. it can be used to swipe at partner stores to accumulate?
new card works fine swiped it at Esso and Rexall so far points showed up just fine in AE account
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Deleted - moved here from another thread

Last edited by RooFlyer; Mar 5, 2013 at 12:28 pm Reason: Thread merge
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by RCyyz
I wonder how AE would recognize people who fly a lot? Give them more points?

AE points are so worthless now as a travel option with YQ and all the other charges added on. So what would be the benefit of more points other than an endless supply of toasters?
I would expect the level of uselessness to be similar to Air Miles Gold program. 25% off here and there and some "exclusive" offers.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Very interesting. It is in an Aeroplan Advisors survey. Seems like Aeroplan is looking at offering it's own status within Aeroplan. Status might depend on number of AP miles accumulated and benefits range from lower Classic mile requirements to 7-year expiration exemption.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC A50, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Air Miles Gold, JAL Hotels Gold
Seemed to have up to a 40% discount on Classic Plus awards (let's see if they increase the pre-discount level beforehand), increased access to business class awards (not sure if this means they will block business class awards for non top members), and reduced fees for call center bookings / changes (for 100k level), and removal of the 7-year expiry rule.

If the 40% discount and increased business class access actually work out then perhaps it will be of some use, but we will have to wait to see what the T&C are, and how they "enhance" the rest of the program.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Discount on ClassicPlus only. No discount on Classic.

Increased access to business class - no details. But somehow I believe it will be AC only. No way they will give extra A* business class inventory, especially on non-YQ airlines.

I don't see much benefit in the new program. And if the past experience is any indication, then I expect some "enhancements" will be announced at the time the new program is introduced.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE
Definitely seems like more of a separation between AC and Aeroplan which, imo, is good.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
My standard response in the comments field at the end of all these surveys is always something along the lines of "Until you get rid of scam charges, I have no interest in accumulating AE miles just so you can rob me on reward tickets".

We need to get the message across!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TelFunku
level of uselessness
Hah! I have a new favourite Phrase of the Day.

^
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
My standard response in the comments field at the end of all these surveys is always something along the lines of "Until you get rid of scam charges, I have no interest in accumulating AE miles just so you can rob me on reward tickets".

We need to get the message across!
Or make the program more transparent. Even with Classic Rewards in Y, you can rarely get 2 cents/mile, and certainly not with ClassicPlus. So why would I redeem with Aeroplan miles a non-upgradeable, not AQM flight when the Capital One Aspire card exists that gives a straight 2% travel cashback across the board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.