Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Using EUpgrades on reward ticket (X)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE, golden circle diamond

so, now SE's have the ability to apply for a same day upgrade on classic (X Class) reward tickets - the description mentions that the upgrade is 'within 1 day - at check in' - does anybody know if this can be done at OLCI? or can it only be done at the check in line 3 hrs prior?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: AC SE
I just asked at iah Houston check-in....agent said you can't UG on reward ticket. I tell her I'm SE. She says she hasn't been informed of any changes to the program.
Wow
And trying to get into lounge, I'm informed that with no card, my star alliance status needs to be on my boarding pass - which of course now reads 100k instead of *G.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
Anyone know if you can upgrade others booked with your points?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Wanted to upgrade LGA-YYZ today (AE award ticket), but it's 6 credits instead of 4. Not going to bother.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the SE benefits;

'Upgrades on Aeroplan ClassicFlight Rewards are permitted on a standby basis, and may only be requested at check-in for eligible flights operated by Air Canada and Air Canada Express within North America. Sun destinations are defined as those within the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America. Note that upgrades only apply when the reservation was completed by the same member who is requesting the upgrade.'

As Klove007 asks , I am not sure what to answer.

If I request an e u/g for a pax that I have 'gifted' a AE 'classic' ticket from my account, is this do-able?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
I tried to upgrade a flight for my brother that I've booked for April and it says I must wait until t-24 to do so, presumably I assume right before he checks in.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Klove007
I tried to upgrade a flight for my brother that I've booked for April and it says I must wait until t-24 to do so, presumably I assume right before he checks in.
I can book Mrs.acysb87 on an economy reward and hope that I can u/g her from my e-credits as I generally have credits extra at year end.
That would be my plan. Not sure if the u/g benefit is for the sole use of the SE member,period.I would be OK if the benefit extended to those on our nominee lists as well
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: MP 1K,
Originally Posted by acysb87
I can book Mrs.acysb87 on an economy reward and hope that I can u/g her from my e-credits as I generally have credits extra at year end.
That would be my plan. Not sure if the u/g benefit is for the sole use of the SE member,period.I would be OK if the benefit extended to those on our nominee lists as well
I have a aeroplan trip in Y booked for my Family of four coming up during spring break and was looking at the reservation in my Eeupgrade account. I got the following message when I looked at what it was going to take to upgrade.

"You may request an upgrade for only one eUpgrade Travel Companion who is not registered in your list of eUpgrade Nominees. All other upgrade requests must be for registered nominees."

To me that implies that registered nominees qualify.

I would love to hear from someone who has tried upgrading a family travelling on the X fare, and how it went?

I all ready think I am going to have to call in to request the upgrade as I can't find a way to add the kids aeroplan number to the reservation online.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
New SE benefit - upgrading on economy award - does the passenger have to be that SE?

I am a SE, who wants to use this benefit on others.

Let us say that I want to book an award ticket for a family member; can I use my eupgrade credits to upgrade one of them?

Let us say that that family member has the award ticket through their or another nonSE passenger's account - can I use my upgrades?

In both case, the family member may be added as my nominee.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: Nexus
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am a SE, who wants to use this benefit on others.

Let us say that I want to book an award ticket for a family member; can I use my eupgrade credits to upgrade one of them?

Let us say that that family member has the award ticket through their or another nonSE passenger's account - can I use my upgrades?

In both case, the family member may be added as my nominee.
It would be great to get some clarity on these new SE100 benefits associated with rewards bookings. This is how either I perceive it or how it was explained to me by the AE SE desk.

1. Bookings made by an SE100 on AE have one free change per booking regardless as to number/status of pax on the boking. All are free on first cglobal change.

2. As an extension of the above, a reward booking by a non-SE100 that includes an SE100 in the boking does NOT have a free change.

3. Regardless of the status of the "booker" using AE, only pax wiith SE100 and traveling companion on same reservation can upgrade at the gate using e-ups.

Hopefully someone with actual experience can put this to the test.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:24 pm

So yesterday I emailed the SE service desk to get some Aeroplan numbers added to a booking and ask for some clarification on when I can request an upgrade on the X fare. This is the response I got.

"Dear Mr. [smarsh102]:

Thank you for your email.

For your reference, eUpgrade credits cannot be used in conjunction with Aeroplan reward tickets. Indeed, the eUpgrades are among the most valued of the top tier benefits and as you know, they are subject to fare prerequisites. This is not meant to discourage customers who take advantage of their Aeroplan miles but rather, for viability reasons, Air Canada must subject the use of complimentary upgrades to capacity controls. Therefore, to ensure members have a reasonable chance to take advantage of this benefit, it is necessary to have fare prerequisites. We trust you will agree that if all classes of service were eligible in conjunction with the upgrades, the potential requests in comparison to the size of Air Canada’s Executive Class cabins would surely outweigh our partner’s ability to honor them. This would only disappoint our members and would not reflect favorably on our product. Rather than offer a benefit knowing we would not be able to accommodate most requests, it is necessary to allow the use of the upgrade in conjunction with certain fare types only and reward tickets are thus excluded. As indicated in the automated reply you received upon sending this correspondence, queries regarding bookings cannot be handled by e-mail. To obtain further assistance, please call the Air Canada Altitude Super Elite line at [removed] In the event you are in a region where no toll-free number is available, you may dial the local Montreal number, [removed] and reverse the charges.

We trust this information will serve as clarification and look forward to serving you again.

Regards,

[removed]
Aeroplan - Customer Service Representative
www.aeroplan.com"

Anyone on here try to upgrade an Aeroplan ticket yet?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like they have not updated their answer yet/the question fell in the hands of someone not familiar with the new program?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Looks like they have not updated their answer yet/the question fell in the hands of someone not familiar with the new program?
I'd say so. I've responded with the link to the new benefit and asked again for clarification. But it leaves me wondering who in AC does know about this and if it's going to work out when I try.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
We have customer service agents representing AC and also representing Aeroplan, when answer SE customers by email.

Do we have customer service agents representing the AC Altitude program (separate from the customer service agents listed above) who can respond to SE customers by email. I ask, because it such agents who should be most knowledgeable about all the terms and conditions of the Altitude program, including SE specific benefits?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
AC's IT system knows. Had no problem upgrading an award ticket 24 hrs before departure last weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.