Back of the line, buddy

Old Mar 3, 13, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Back of the line, buddy

Meant to post this ages ago. Here is an editorial Jim Stanford posted in the G&M back in September, 2012. Interesting what he thinks of FF's ability to access the front of the security line in a "omnipresent trend in our class-divided society." His recommendation is for the public to confront Es and SEs (and I guess Nexus cardholders) at the CATSA priority lines. His argument is that it is a public good that all Canadians pay for and deserve equal access to.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comme...rticle4527906/

Stanford must do quite a bit of travel as one of the CAW's chief economists. Wonder if he has AC status and whether he is first to butt in line?
Old Mar 3, 13, 3:37 pm
Formerly known as MrFlyer

Programs: AA EXP ✈ CX GO ✈ A3*G | HH GO - IC AMB
Heh, heh.

Everyone should go through the first-class lineup at the security gate. And if some fat cat glares at you for interrupting his privileged access to an important public service, stand tall and say: I am a first-class Canadian. My time is worth just as much as yours. I paid just as much as you did. Please, sir, step to the back of the line.
He'd certainly get priority access to an airport holding room.
Old Mar 3, 13, 3:49 pm

I take no issue with priority access lines.

I do take issue with a $25 (per international itinerary) fee for security service that sucks.
Old Mar 3, 13, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Clearly he's never been through a priority line. Everyone has laptops, everyone has 100 kg of carry on, trainee CATSA agents. .... the regular lines are faster.
Old Mar 3, 13, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by lostinthewash View Post
Clearly he's never been through a priority line. Everyone has laptops, everyone has 100 kg of carry on, trainee CATSA agents. .... the regular lines are faster.
Agreed. These days I'm batting about 1000 at YYZ (domestic level 2) for random additional screenings.
Old Mar 3, 13, 7:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I would have paid to have gotten out of the NEXUS line at YUL the other day. It was 8 deep and the other lines were 2 deep, and there was a slow-moving family in front of us.

One guy tried to go to the non-NEXUS line and was told by the CATSA person handling the other line that he had to go back to the NEXUS line. Crazy.
Old Mar 3, 13, 7:59 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Originally Posted by YQMer View Post
I would have paid to have gotten out of the NEXUS line at YUL the other day. It was 8 deep and the other lines were 2 deep, and there was a slow-moving family in front of us.

One guy tried to go to the non-NEXUS line and was told by the CATSA person handling the other line that he had to go back to the NEXUS line. Crazy.
Will only get worse as US slashes their budget for security borders.
Old Mar 3, 13, 8:43 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AE Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Even in the Globe's site, no commenters think this guy has any sort of reasonable argument. He's an economist, he should be able to pull some kind of semi-logical argument out of his rectum. He's just being whiny.

I think every person on flyertalk looked at priority lines with envy at some point and figured out how to get access at a cost that made it worthwhile to us.

His rage enrages me.
Old Mar 3, 13, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Jim Stanford is an economist with the Canadian Auto Workers union
'Nuff said.
Old Mar 3, 13, 9:09 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Well when your already paying $20 for the privilege of leaving many Canadian airports (more for YYZ), plus $7.50 for the privilege of clearing security at said Canadian airport you would sure think everyone should be in the priority line. The fact your forced to pay all this in direct fees and have people queue jump in front of you seems a bit much in a way. Of course I say that as both an Amex Plat & Nexus member....
Old Mar 3, 13, 9:40 pm

He'd be just fine with it if they were manned by CAW union workers. No issues then...
Old Mar 3, 13, 11:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I actually agree with Stanford--there should be no priority for class(even though I will take advantage of it) etc. The only exception should be for trusted traveler status, e.g. NEXUS, which everyone can afford if they can afford to travel by air. Even there, I am not sure other than for speeding up returning through immigration/customs. There should just be more efficient and better service for the fees everyone is paying so that everyone's wait time in line is relatively short and [email protected]:-)
Old Mar 3, 13, 11:52 pm

Programs: Accidental AC E35K
I will go to the back of the line when airline crews, airport employees, CATSA employees, airport police, diplomats, politicians, and all manner of other "special" people also go the the back of the line.
Old Mar 4, 13, 6:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Sure am glad that most places I go are so small that they don't have a priority screening line, or so big that it doesn't make a difference. I agree that there shouldn't be a priority line, and when they start to figure out how to do these things without a total gong show I will be happy to join the masses - that includes no more discussion about who's break is next while I wait, no more customs officers at ORD heading for lunch with a jammed lineup and no replacements, no more power happy psychos running a scanning machine and feeling like they can now be a d!ck.

I believe that I will be in the priority line for the foreseeable future...
Old Mar 4, 13, 8:06 am

Programs: FT
it really does not matter to me but just my 2 cents, but I suspect that there is no legal authority for permitting boarding priorties....if a person was to push and say it should not be permitted, i think they might actually win.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: