Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back of the line, buddy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by j_the_p
No body scanner. That's benefit enough.
Huh? I've been through body scanners on plenty of occasions after using the NEXUS line. That's exactly my point of the original comment -- you're still stuck going through the "regular" security just like everyone else.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by ffsim
Huh? I've been through body scanners on plenty of occasions after using the NEXUS line. That's exactly my point of the original comment -- you're still stuck going through the "regular" security just like everyone else.
What "regular security line"? I've never seen a NEXUS line in Canada with a body scanner. That includes: YEG, YYC, YVR, YUL, YOW, YYZ. So though I haven't been to all airports with one, my sample size is pretty decent.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
What "regular security line"? I've never seen a NEXUS line in Canada with a body scanner. That includes: YEG, YYC, YVR, YUL, YOW, YYZ. So though I haven't been to all airports with one, my sample size is pretty decent.
I know YUL just had some of its domestic security lines relocated and I don't recall if there was a body scanner at the end of that NEXUS line, but I've definitely gone through it on the transborder side -- I recall accusing a CATSA agent of stealing my watch from the bin after I came out of the scanner

And every time I connect in YYZ the NEXUS line just feeds me to the front of the regular lines. That's why I'm confused by your (and hjohnson's) statements.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:35 pm

I guess I've never connected in YYZ since it's my home base. I'm talking about domestic security. That sucks that you have to use the body scanners on the trans-border side.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
And every time I connect in YYZ the NEXUS line just feeds me to the front of the regular lines. That's why I'm confused by your (and hjohnson's) statements.
I mostly transit security at YVR, the NEXUS lane is way off to the left at domestic departures, I've never been asked to go through the nude-o-scope while in that line. (Of course, now that I've talked about this, they'll probably try to send me over there all the time now. )
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
No body scanner. That's benefit enough.

And the article is lame. Air Canada and AMEX pay GTAA to cue the lines in a certain way. It has ZERO to do with CATSA or the government or Canadian taxes.
A regular traveler is paying $32.50 directly to the government and the GTAA each time they use the airport.

Now the argument is even though you thought you paid your dues with $32.50, you really need to shell out for our even higher tier if you want a security line that might be faster.

If your user fees are completely covering the cost of the service, which AFAIK they are what right does the airport authority have to collect a fee from you and take money from AMEX to speed certain people along the queue? If the airport was loss making and AMEX was some badly needed infusion of funds, I could see an argument in favor of it. When your already paying the full cost of the airport and more, I think it's in bad taste. I would count NEXUS as an exception being it $10/yr and open to everyone.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by will5404
A regular traveler is paying $32.50 directly to the government and the GTAA each time they use the airport.

Now the argument is even though you thought you paid your dues with $32.50, you really need to shell out for our even higher tier if you want a security line that might be faster.

If your user fees are completely covering the cost of the service, which AFAIK they are what right does the airport authority have to collect a fee from you and take money from AMEX to speed certain people along the queue? If the airport was loss making and AMEX was some badly needed infusion of funds, I could see an argument in favor of it. When your already paying the full cost of the airport and more, I think it's in bad taste. I would count NEXUS as an exception being it $10/yr and open to everyone.
I hear you (or read you, as it were) but your $32.50 is for the use of their services. There are no guarantees as to the speed of the services nor the queuing of the services.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: FT
I hear you (or read you, as it were) but your $32.50 is for the use of their services. There are no guarantees as to the speed of the services nor the queuing of the services.
that is really up to some arbitrator of the complaintent to decide really and yours is but one side of the coin.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:26 am

Unfortunately, he is right

Security and customs are run by the airport / government, not the airline, so they cannot treat the airline's best customers differently. In fact, the airport is supposed to be a not-for-profit business, so it would not even make sense to grant special privileges to the airport's best customers. Each passenger pays per use and is treated the same.

Don't agree? Think about this: What if I used the airport 120 times a year (like I did last year) but flew on Sunwing. Then I'd have no status even though I use T1 all the time. So security would give me no priority, even though I deserve it as much as the SE traveller.

This just proves that airlines tell the airports what to do = not fair.

In the meantime, of course I'll use the priority line, but I don't think it's fair.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by toemoe8
What if I used the airport 120 times a year (like I did last year) but flew on Sunwing. Then I'd have no status even though I use T1 all the time. So security would give me no priority, even though I deserve it as much as the SE traveller.
If you flew 120x/year on an airline with no priority services at your home base (e.g. Sunwing or others), then you'd look at options to get those priority services some other way. For example, you'd probably get an appropriate Amex card.

IMO the point of offering priority services is not a question of "fairness," it's a question of good business sense. If I'm a vacationer, I'm happy to arrive at the airport 3 hours before my flight and stand in line with hundreds of fellow vacationers at my charter airline-of-choice's check-in counter the once or twice a year I travel. I'm excited and it's part of the process.

If I'm a business traveller, I simply can't afford to spend that much time idly. Again, as a business traveller, I'd take my business to an airline where I get the most value for my time.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:54 am

Security and customs are run by the airport / government, not the airline, so they cannot treat the airline's best customers differently. In fact, the airport is supposed to be a not-for-profit business, so it would not even make sense to grant special privileges to the airport's best customers. Each passenger pays per use and is treated the same.

Don't agree? Think about this: What if I used the airport 120 times a year (like I did last year) but flew on Sunwing. Then I'd have no status even though I use T1 all the time. So security would give me no priority, even though I deserve it as much as the SE traveller.

This just proves that airlines tell the airports what to do = not fair.

In the meantime, of course I'll use the priority line, but I don't think it's fair.
A few things:
- Though security is run by the government, the line up to get there is not.
- Not for profits still need revenue. AC and AMEX give them extra revenue for priority lines.
- It's your choice to use an airline with or without perks. Your Sunwing example doesn't fly.
- Airlines don't "tell the airports what to do" (at least not in this example), rather, they pay them for certain amenities, one of which is priority lines.

If you flew 120x/year on an airline with no priority services at your home base (e.g. Sunwing or others), then you'd look at options to get those priority services some other way. For example, you'd probably get an appropriate Amex card.

IMO the point of offering priority services is not a question of "fairness," it's a question of good business sense. If I'm a vacationer, I'm happy to arrive at the airport 3 hours before my flight and stand in line with hundreds of fellow vacationers at my charter airline-of-choice's check-in counter the once or twice a year I travel. I'm excited and it's part of the process.

If I'm a business traveller, I simply can't afford to spend that much time idly. Again, as a business traveller, I'd take my business to an airline where I get the most value for my time.
This. ^
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Unfortunately, he is right
Fortunately, he is not.

Fortunately, nobody at the airports listens to him.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AC *P
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
'Nuff said.
Agreed - I tune him out everytime I see him "debating" on CBC...
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC*E

Everybody values their time, you just think very little of vacation travelers.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:27 pm

I don't fly through YYZ often, but when I do I skip the whole priority line nonsense. Like others, I've come running to security flashing my American Express Platinum card, only to end up waiting 15 minutes in line while the "non-priority" pax waited 3 to 5 minutes.

Basically, it is just a marketing ploy. All it is is Amex's way of saying, "Hey Joe Passenger, if you were willing to pay $699 for an Amex Platinum Card you too could be lavished with all this preferential treatment!" It isn't about giving anything special to passengers; it is just a manner of selling credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.