Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Threshold gifts for Air Canada Altitude

Threshold gifts for Air Canada Altitude

Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
IIRC the gifts are all "subject to availability" and they have a certain stock of each. But definitely call in and see.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: National Exec Elite
... quite the rip off - calling in they say there is a limited number of each gift - comparing 75,000 bonus miles to a Mac Book Air - big difference in value - you don't know the availability until you get there and then 4 out of 6 gifts are unavailable - are there really that many flyers reaching 250,000 status miles - suppose there is only 1 gift per category
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:50 am

Angry

"While not a significant amount of money, I was disappointed to see that I had to pay $11.00 for one of my threshold gifts. I selected the NA flight pass for the 250k level, went back to points for the 300k level."

Don't complain - I just reached 250,000 and all they now offer is 75,000 bonus miles or Starwood room nights and I don't want either - what a rip off
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:56 am

So much better strategy on high mileage is: as soon as you reach 100K on Air Canada switch to One World - that way you can build flexibility - threshold gifts are a gigantic rip off - not worth the loyalty
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:15 am

Threshold Gifts

wow what a rip off. I feel for you folks because after getting 100k miles, the threshold gifts are literally he only incentive left to collect AE miles. if 60-80% of the potential gifts aren't even available, its a gigantic middle finger in your faces from AC. especially be a use they don't give a running tally of how many gifts are left. everyone is literally collecting miles to get a chance to see if their desired gift is still in stock.

what a rip off.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 7:24 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
IIRC the gifts are all "subject to availability" and they have a certain stock of each. But definitely call in and see.
+1; several people reaching the Elite threshold levels have reported that their gift selection has dwindled, as they only stocked so many of each gift.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM
+1 same problem at 150k. I complained to AC and they responded by hiding behind their T&Cs. What should have been a positive experience to build loyalty translated into a very negative one from my perspective. At minimum, AC should have the decency (if not the obligation) to update their web site and remove gifts that are no longer available.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
On the Threashold Gifts page the caption reads:

"Air Canada Altitude members are showered with exclusive gifts. Simply put, the more you travel the world with Air Canada and the Star Alliance member airlines, the more Threshold Gifts you'll receive - because travel is a reason to celebrate. The gifts outlined below remain valid through February 2014."

I'd be extremely upset if any of the currently advertised gifts are no longer available, especially with the statement 'valid through February 2014'.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I guess I was one of the few lucky ones to get what they wanted in terms of threshold gifts... but then again, it was probably because I hit these thresholds ahead of most SEs in general. I too, would be rather annoyed if a threshold was diminished to only 33% of the gifts remaining, one of which happens to be the useless AE miles.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:20 am

OK - decided next year that as soon as I hit 100K I start booking all my flights through United - that way this year I would have been 100k on both AC and United and eligible for first in line for United upgrades. That trumps 75,000 AE miles.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: AC2MM SE Fairmont Presidents club
Originally Posted by odin2000
So much better strategy on high mileage is: as soon as you reach 100K on Air Canada switch to One World - that way you can build flexibility - threshold gifts are a gigantic rip off - not worth the loyalty
Definitely. I haven't chosen my threshold gift for reaching 300000 in 2013. One "gift" has already disappeared because I waited too long! I have discussed the uselessness of the program with a sr manager I met on a flight, and have indicated that I will only now fly enough miles for SE due to the excellent concierge service and then I'm out of here, definitely going to Oneworld! Not only are the gifts a gigantic ripoff, the inability to use miles in a convenient manner for those of us who travel extensively for business also renders the program useless!

Yes, AC is flying full so perhaps loyalty doesn't matter. However, in the event of another business cycle downturn, I will still be flying, except AC will then discover my loyalty to them has evaporated.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:17 am

The definitive word from AC:
"Super Elite 100K members are given the opportunity to select a gift when accumulating specific amounts of Qualifying Miles. Threshold Gifts offered by Air Canada are limited in number and awarded on a first-come, first-served basis while quantities last. Regrettably, your preferred gift option may no longer be available. Thus, we invite you to make a different selection.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

Ugggh!!!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Scandic 2nd Floor, FoundersCard
@ACAltitude on twitter told me:

"Gifts will be listed for selection again as soon as they become available. Apologies for any inconvenience."
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How can a flight pass be unavailable? It's not like a dinner for two or a MacBook Air, where there might have been some negotiated deal between Air Canada and the restaurant or Apple. It's an Air Canada flight pass...

In fact, I'm surprised that Aeroplan miles would still be available, but not the flight pass. Aeorplan miles cost AC money, right? Giving away a flight pass is just some creative accounting.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by hitsmith
@ACAltitude on twitter told me:

"Gifts will be listed for selection again as soon as they become available. Apologies for any inconvenience."
Would that this was an option- chose my 90K gift in Oct and it (the amazon cert) is still on 'back order'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.