Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Threshold gifts for Air Canada Altitude

Threshold gifts for Air Canada Altitude

Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I have hit 100k and haven't seen any threshold at the lower level. How does one get access to the options?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by ACfly
I have hit 100k and haven't seen any threshold at the lower level. How does one get access to the options?
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/threshold-gifts

See above. If you were previously an SE, threshold gifts would start at 150K.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Thumbs down How can they run out of gifts?

I just hit 150k miles in a year for the first time, and I'm just wondering how they can run out of things like Amex gift certificates or Bose headphones (which they still have available on the Aeroplan site for award redemption)? It really feels like bait-and-switch to have them advertise a bunch of gifts all year and then just have miles when you come to claim.

And how many 150k+ travelers do you all think there are out there each year? Seems that like everything else in Aeroplan the value has gone way down.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oafnan
I just hit 150k miles in a year for the first time, and I'm just wondering how they can run out of things like Amex gift certificates or Bose headphones (which they still have available on the Aeroplan site for award redemption)? It really feels like bait-and-switch to have them advertise a bunch of gifts all year and then just have miles when you come to claim.

And how many 150k+ travelers do you all think there are out there each year? Seems that like everything else in Aeroplan the value has gone way down.
Your a bit late to the party. I also wanted the Amex vouchers and they were not available somewhere in Oct I think. Its a first past the post system, first three people get the Amex and the rest get AE miles.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I just hit 150k miles in a year for the first time, and I'm just wondering how they can run out of things like Amex gift certificates or Bose headphones (which they still have available on the Aeroplan site for award redemption)? It really feels like bait-and-switch to have them advertise a bunch of gifts all year and then just have miles when you come to claim.......
I and many others asked that question last year.

No one answered but it seems one is rewarded for "finishing the race" early.

........Seems that like everything else in Aeroplan the value has gone way down.
There's a thread for that. No, apologies, correction, there is a forum for that.

Originally Posted by vernonc
Your a bit late to the party. I also wanted the Amex vouchers and they were not available somewhere in Oct I think. Its a first past the post system, first three people get the Amex and the rest get AE miles.
Well, as I recall, one of the gifts one one of these lists was a pair of cufflinks.
I was sure someone asked the question last year about the quality of the gifts and the answer was, well, AC already has your money for having flown the 150K+ AQM, they have no incentive to give you any rewards, really.

Last edited by 24left; Dec 23, 2016 at 8:06 am
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
YYZNomad scooped up everything long ago

And given pattern from last year, expect YYZNomad will clean up again by the time your Christmas credit card bill arrives.

ps...@ 200k I received 45k bonus, so together with initial 25k bonus, sufficient for round trip to EU Zone 1, and nearly enough for EU Zone 2.

With my SE access to Priority Rewards, some flexible dates, and no YQ, this means getting to EU during peak summer for savings upwards to $2,000 (at least from Westcoast).

None of the 150k and 200k bonus offers combined come close to this value so easy choice for me.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Went to select the 90K threshold gift

Had the excellent choice of AE pesos or 1 Year Data Recovery Service (Lol WATT)
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Went to select the 90K threshold gift

Had the excellent choice of AE pesos or 1 Year Data Recovery Service (Lol WATT)
Since you find Aeroplan "pesos" so worthless, can I buy them all from you? I'll give you half a cent each.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Basically if you want the AMEX gift cards, I have a suspicion that you need to cross the thresholds before mid October. The 250k gifts were all available minus the $1000 AMEX gift card by end of October, and by the second week of December only 75000 Aeropesos or iPhone 6 were available. The 300k gifts were all available minus the $2500 AMEX gift card in early December. The only 200k gift left by early December was 45000 Aeropesos.

YEG2MM and yyznomad are the only two active FTers (that I know of) who scooped up threshold gifts in the 350k category, and I know YEG2MM chooses AMEX gift cards.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Since you find Aeroplan "pesos" so worthless, can I buy them all from you? I'll give you half a cent each.
Wait Cow when did I say aeropesos are worthless?

I just find it ridiculous something as AMEX gift card can RUN OUT.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Wait Cow when did I say aeropesos are worthless?

I just find it ridiculous something as AMEX gift card can RUN OUT.
The name "aeropesos" has certain connotations.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
and trading aeropesos for even such a pittance will get you banished to Santas workshop to make next year's Threshold Gifts - wooden spoon and felt coaster will be next on offer
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The name "aeropesos" has certain connotations.
Well.. one Peso, for some one who is not SE, is probably still worth 3-4X of one AE point. So calling it peso, at least in my use, didnt imply its worthless.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I don't think the Amex GC run out by mistake. I think they decide they want to give the best rewards only to their best customers. Those who pass the threshold so early in the year likely don't stop flying at that point, and they get good loot to keep them sweet. Those who just plug away for 11.5 months get a reward, but not even a pretence that they want to give an equally valuable reward.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: SEMM,SPG Plat
Middle of Oct for 150k Amex and End of October for 200k Amex were both available

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.