Search

Miles Expiring - Redemption Advice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Hi all,

I have about 70K+ miles expiring at the end of this year from my old flying days + another 90K or so which will expire over 2014. The fiance and I want to honeymoon in Greece at the end of June.

- Economy tix are available at 150K for both of us +$1300 taxes (and none of these flights are direct). Can pay for taxes with Amex pts as well.
- No business class seats are available to or from Europe but only for the connecting flights within Europe to get to Athens (business class for 2 hrs - seriously what's the point!). I would definitely redeem to fly business to europe.
- I'm finding direct flights for $1100 (Economy) each which I can pay for with Amex pts (220K). Technically a better deal than redeeming from Aeroplan outright.

It seems like the best option is buying the tickets and redeeming Amex points but with so many Aeroplan pts about to expire I need to find a way to use them (on this trip preferably) - any advice? And is it typically difficult to find business seats to Europe on aeroplan pts?

Thx!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Where are you flying from? You are getting absolutely hosed on the scamcharges for economy tickets, those are huge...

Mark
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:40 pm

Amex to Aeroplan to Points.com to US Air

Originally Posted by flyerchic11
Hi all,

I have about 70K+ miles expiring at the end of this year from my old flying days + another 90K or so which will expire over 2014. The fiance and I want to honeymoon in Greece at the end of June.

- Economy tix are available at 150K for both of us +$1300 taxes (and none of these flights are direct). Can pay for taxes with Amex pts as well.
- No business class seats are available to or from Europe but only for the connecting flights within Europe to get to Athens (business class for 2 hrs - seriously what's the point!). I would definitely redeem to fly business to europe.
- I'm finding direct flights for $1100 (Economy) each which I can pay for with Amex pts (220K). Technically a better deal than redeeming from Aeroplan outright.

It seems like the best option is buying the tickets and redeeming Amex points but with so many Aeroplan pts about to expire I need to find a way to use them (on this trip preferably) - any advice? And is it typically difficult to find business seats to Europe on aeroplan pts?

Thx!
I would suggest moving some of your Amex Membership Rewards over to Aeroplan.

Then setting up a points.com account and a US Air Dividend Miles account.

Then transferring over your Aeroplan miles through points.com to US Air. You'll loose 18% or so (more if you register your Canadian address with points.com; using ANY US address will reduce the percentage difference).

Then book your economy flights to Greece through US Air Dividend Miles on the same flights you found.

I'm guessing that the taxes, fees and booking charges will come out to somewhere in the range of $200.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
End of June can be difficult to get reward tickets. It's just after school finish and all the families with school children want to do summer travel. It's also just around the time of July 1 Canada Day and July 4 US holiday.

But depends on where you're flying out of, there may still be a chance.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: AP *P, Marriott Gold
Flyerchick11,
All I can say is you have my deepest sympathy. I have 122k miles to burn this year too. Every day for the last month I have looked for overseas flights leaving YVR only to be stymied at every turn or to be charged an amount in taxes similar to what the flight is worth on Transat etc. I have decided I will leave Aeroplan this year as it simply doesn't work anymore. Good luck
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LUllrich
Flyerchick11,
All I can say is you have my deepest sympathy. I have 122k miles to burn this year too. Every day for the last month I have looked for overseas flights leaving YVR only to be stymied at every turn or to be charged an amount in taxes similar to what the flight is worth on Transat etc. I have decided I will leave Aeroplan this year as it simply doesn't work anymore. Good luck
You should book a mini-rtw in J with 125k miles...all kinds of possibilities.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies! We are leaving from yyz if that helps shed any light on the issue. Will definitely look into this points.com option and see what I can work out. Will keep you posted but if you have any more ideas keep them coming!

On that note has anyone booked hotels in Greece (or Europe in general) w aeroplan pts? Looking at Starwood preferably but all I got in the search results was best westerns in Athens? Not sure if I did something wrong there.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:49 am

You could fly YYZ-IST-ATH on June 17 with Turkish Airlines. The return would be ATH-PHL-YYZ on June 29 with US Airways. This itinerary is business class for all 4 flights and I would bet would have a WAY smaller tax bill...

Mark
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lowside67
You could fly YYZ-IST-ATH on June 17 with Turkish Airlines. The return would be ATH-PHL-YYZ on June 29 with US Airways. This itinerary is business class for all 4 flights and I would bet would have a WAY smaller tax bill...

Mark
Thanks Mark! Our wedding is actually on the 21st so we're planning to leave on the 23rd or 24th and come back before the 6th of July. It looks like it does coincide with the end of school so maybe that's why I'm having trouble finding bus class tix?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:53 am

Alright well then how about fly out on the 24th:
YYZ-PHL-ATH

Return on the 5th of July
ATH-PHL-YYZ

Both of the TATL components are in business class on US Airways 767s.

Alternatively, you could return:
ATH-ZRH-YYZ on Swiss Airways and then Air Canada in a pod on a 767, but there will be way higher taxes/fees. US Airways is a good bet for keeping your fees reasonable.

Mark
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
You're getting good advise on flights.

As for hotel, I usually find it's cheapest to use Priceline or Hotwire. Redemption using hotel points sometimes can get good value/rooms, but PL is hard to beat if you don't need any specific hotel.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:08 am

YYZ-PHL-ATH

ATH-PHL-YYZ

Mark
Just for the fun of it, I looked this itinerary up on Aeroplan's website. The total cost to book each of these tickets is 105,000 points plus $157.16 in taxes.

Talk about a huge difference in taxes/fees: $314.32 in business vs $1300 in ECONOMY!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Just for the fun of it, I looked this itinerary up on Aeroplan's website. The total cost to book each of these tickets is 105,000 points plus $157.16 in taxes.

Talk about a huge difference in taxes/fees: $314.32 in business vs $1300 in ECONOMY!
That is great actually and better than transferring the points to US Air Dividend. I will definitely check out this option. Thank you so much for you help with this!!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:43 am

I wouldn't wait long, there won't be many seats left. Glad I could help.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Many
YYZ-PHL-ATH

ATH-PHL-YYZ

Alternatively, you could return:
ATH-ZRH-YYZ on Swiss Airways and then Air Canada in a pod on a 767, but there will be way higher taxes/fees. US Airways is a good bet for keeping your fees reasonable.

Mark
I'm just curious about how you found out about all those options.

Surely you didn't use Aeroplan's web site, right? So, what's the secret web site or software, if you don't mind?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.