Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

When is a Star Alliance Lounge not a Star Alliance lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;

I often use the SQ lounge at LHR instead of the Scandinavian lounge at T3 because it can get noisy. Always friendly - never an issue.

So, on my way ICN - YVR - YYZ today, I decided to use the SQ Silver Kris lounge at ICN. While I like the Asiana lounge, it doesn't have windows and hey, given the choice I'd prefer some daylight before the flight home.

The SQ ladies at the desk tried to brush me off by telling me "Air Canada prefer their passengers to use the Asiana lounge..." But with an Air Canada logo prominently displayed on the desk, I felt confident in challenging them. Their response was to tell me they would have to call Air Canada (good luck with that btw...).

So I asked point blank if they were denying me access. At that point, the agent was at pains to say no and here I sit.

But why the fuss to get into a *A lounge with a J boarding pass and SE status?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
If there is a *A Gold logo outside or inside the lounge you are in. Argue until you are.

DME is the worst. Something like 4 or 5 *A carrier lounges and not one *Gold logo.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Altitude 100K Super Elite; AC Million Miles; Emirates Gold; Bonvoy lifetime Platinum Elite;
Originally Posted by Dorian
If there is a *A Gold logo outside or inside the lounge you are in. Argue until you are.
Yup, there is. And that's exactly what I did.

Would encourage fellow AC travelers to do the same at ICN for general amusement...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
Yup, there is. And that's exactly what I did.

Would encourage fellow AC travelers to do the same at ICN for general amusement...
Everywhere I go...... ^
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:44 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Interesting enough when using the *A lounge finder for ICN and input AC*SE on J tix it only returns the OZ lounges as available.

Must be AC being stingy to foot the bill for SQ SKL. The "must call AC" bit kinda gves that up.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
OZ lounge at ICN doesn't have windows? Pretty sure it had windows when I was there in November. Great view of the apron.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 6:41 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
DME is the worst. Something like 4 or 5 *A carrier lounges and not one *Gold logo.
Yeah, that place is a total disaster. "Sorry, sir, we are a contract lounge for the airline and not a *G lounge." Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K * 2MM
I've got similar experiences before. I was even denied to enter a lounge with my Priority Pass membership at TAO.

With my AC Elite status last year, I was also rejected to enter the ET lounge in ADD (Was on a trip from ADD to FRA on LX)

I guess this kind of unfortunate things happen at times. The best solution is to argue your way in xD
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Originally Posted by krayZpaving
OZ lounge at ICN doesn't have windows? Pretty sure it had windows when I was there in November. Great view of the apron.
F Class side only. Enter, left to the FCL, right to the J lounge. The FCL lounge has the view, better booze, food about the same. Don't mind the J lounge, but at lease some windows looking out into the terminal would be an improvement.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:51 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I find that the attitude amongst the dragons in these circumstances is almost condescending. It's like they don't know that those accessing the lounges are some of the most seasoned travellers out there. Either that or they are used to dealing with travellers that don't know how to deal with travel (although I find that hard to believe).

Originally Posted by payam81
Interesting enough when using the *A lounge finder for ICN and input AC*SE on J tix it only returns the OZ lounges as available.

Must be AC being stingy to foot the bill for SQ SKL. The "must call AC" bit kinda gves that up.
That's because if I'm not mistaken, the SQ SKL at ICN has closed. There is now a food court in its place.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
That's because if I'm not mistaken, the SQ SKL at ICN has closed. There is now a food court in its place.
The OP just mentioned the SQ SKL at ICN... that was the lounge he had to argue his way into...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
The OP just mentioned the SQ SKL at ICN... that was the lounge he had to argue his way into...
SQ lounge at ICN very much open for business. Only three people in it - but it's open, quiet, and a nice view of the apron.

By chance, I ran into the SQ Station Manager on my way out. He explained that SQ had been "directed" to send *A customers to OZ lounge but of course would not deny access to *A customers.

When I pressed him on why I had to challenge so hard, he said it was perhaps a language barrier(!) But interestingly they'd removed *A airlines plaque from the desk by the time I left.

All a bit odd if you ask me....
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by Mustang Sally
When I pressed him on why I had to challenge so hard, he said it was perhaps a language barrier(!) But interestingly they'd removed *A airlines plaque from the desk by the time I left.

All a bit odd if you ask me....
Hummm.... Interesting... Perhaps you shouldn't give them a (too) hard time... Now fellow *A member may not be able to get in for general amusement...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Hummm.... Interesting... Perhaps you shouldn't give them a (too) hard time... Now fellow *A member may not be able to get in for general amusement...
Wonder if they took down the *Gold signage out front as well?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 4:46 pm

I guess now that BMI is gone the TransAero lounge is no longer a *G lounge. One more reason not to go back to Moscow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.