Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Setting aside UAMP upper tier members get the E+ for free, my point was the new AC Y seat would be no worse than the current UA regular Y seat on its 747.
No, ALL elites get E+ for free, even the lowest ones.

The difference being for a Y- flyer, if I m stuck in a crap seat, on AC, I also get to earn 50% mileage.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Other than some J seats not having direct aisle access, what are the other drawback of the seat? I've heard great reviews of the LX, OS, and SN seats - which are the same.
Personally I don't think there is a lot of difference between the current AC pods and the LX J seats. I think it's primarily personal preference. I don't like the way that the pods narrow at the feet when I am trying to stretch out and sleep, however the LX seats effectively have a cubby hole where your feet go. Also if you are right on the aisle with the LX seats versus having the table thing between you and the aisle it makes a big difference.

The fact that 36 seats can fit in the space of 24 seats should also tell you something.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Priorty Boarding?
Baggage?
Checkin?

Umm sorry I've earned those privileges...more dilution?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, ALL elites get E+ for free, even the lowest ones.
You mean *S and *G now also get E+ at UA for free?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I actually think the 777s will be interchangeable in the future. Depending on the schedule, 77H can be used for summer flights to LHR when there are more leisure travellers. I would say the same is applicable for all cities with higher leisure density at different times of the year. This will ensure AC is maximizing on the total passenger revenue at peak season.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by shore9
I don't like the way that the pods narrow at the feet when I am trying to stretch out and sleep, however the LX seats effectively have a cubby hole where your feet go.
Bingo. I can never fall asleep in a pod for that specific reason. The LX seats are a great improvement in that area, and, as you said, the fact that you can fit so many more J seats in the same area goes to show that they're much more efficient when it comes to using space (yes, I know they're somewhat narrower, but you get the point). Of course, that "efficiency" comes at the price of privacy.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Very optomistic.

AC serves 3 "types" of int'l routes :

Total leisure - Rouge
Mostly leisure - Heavy Y config
Mostly business - Current 77W/L, 787

Again, if you're flying through LHR, Germany, HKG, SYD, SCL, GRU ........ I'd be very optomisitc your aircraft will not be changed in the foreseeable future
i am surprised since i thought SYD and HKG are pretty leisure destinations out of YYZ and YVR at least. i just have a bad feeling with this confict. talk about a big change. i used to note to many that flying Y on the 777s was not bad on AC...hopefully, only these ones will be the problems. the least they could do is run the flights in the day time going east....
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Yay! Ryanair finally comes to Canada!

I presume the inevitable next step from AE in response to AC's move is to enhance the program such that 90,000 points will now get you your very own Y+ seat to CDG? (Oh boy!)

The race to the bottom continues...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:56 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Its a wise move on AC's part to offer a premium economy cabin. However, they are cannibalizing the back of the plane to do so, and are diluting the benefits to their loyal customers by lessening ability to upgrade in J (by having less seats).

Those that value non stop services ( which are a lot of infrequent travellers) will snap these up in a heartbeat.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You mean *S and *G now also get E+ at UA for free?
No, 'foreign' Star ones don't, and they shouldn't.
But UA golds and silvers do, and always had, you don't need to be an 'upper tier' elite.

Why should a twice a year TPAC or 3x a year TATL person buy AC, get half mileage, and sit in a 450+ pax sardine can, when they can have E+ for free. The main difference is the USA inconvenience
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
+ 1

Originally Posted by mkjr
This is another typical AC post. Take something really negative as it actually impacts passengers and make it all about Y+, which is not even that good, and J, again, not an improvement.

we called the old 767s the amigos..

how about we call these the school buses.
"Uncle Harrys Of The Sky"
Surpirsed they left as many lavs as they did. There aren't any on the old yellow school buses!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, 'foreign' Star ones don't, and they shouldn't.
But UA golds and silvers do, and always had, you don't need to be an 'upper tier' elite.
For upper tier, I meant any tier above the ordinary non status.

In AC A language, it would be A 25K or higher.

Sorry for the confusion.

Why should a twice a year TPAC or 3x a year TATL person buy AC, get half mileage, and sit in a 450+ pax sardine can, when they can have E+ for free. The main difference is the USA inconvenience
As I have posted earlier, AC could easily have a few rows in the front of the regular Y cabin with a a little extra seat pitch as "Priority Seats" with a little bit more leg room for its A 25K or higher members. The pitch does not have to be as generous as UA E+ but 33~34" would have been nice. The cost will probably be losing one row of 10 seats but it will go a long way to pamper the A 25K or higher members. It may even sell those seats at a nominal extra cost to those non status for extra revenue in the same way as the Preferred Seats right now. It's moot now as AC has obviously made the business decision not to provide.

Last edited by Clipper801; Feb 7, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by mkjr
is anyone optimistic that the current 777s will not be refitted with this level of density and that the 787s will not have this level of density, ala domestic configured JAL or ANA 787s....in Y? It is an honest question.
3-3-3 Y in the 787s is almost a given at this point which is worse than 3-4-3 Y on a 777. Current 77Ws might not seat 450+ people, but I can see them changing the Y class to 3-4-3 and introduce the Premium Economy cabin (2-4-2).
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

Doing a quick revenue calculation on YUL-CDG one way. The prices are the same in Y and J on July 10th and 11th. Thus AC will get extra revenue from E and E+ and lose in J. If you assume worst case is Tango and lowest J (the reality will be higher and thus more revenue) you get $50k extra in E, $23k extra in PE and -$11k in J per flight. This is a minimum of $62k for full flights. With current high loads and the fact these flights are in the summer so fares will rise, I expect AC will do very well financially on the flight.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
This is a great move for Air Canada as long as it is not implemented on their entire network. Most People in Y in leisure routes are mostly concerned about finding the cheapest possible fare so in order to compete with Air Transat they need to get as many seats as possible in Y. The premium economy option is a good choice for those wanting more comfort and for business travellers. I expect this aircraft on the YYZ - LHR route, YYZ - CDG, YYZ-FRA, YVR -LHR (summer) soon. It is possible that YVR - HKG will see this aircraft if the range for this extra heavy 777 allows it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.