Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AC*E, HH*G
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Y will be 17" width, 31" pitch vs current 18.5" width, 32" pitch. No thanks.
Wow... I see that. You gotta be @&#&*()@# kidding me, good way to regress back to the worst possible offering for long haul.

Looks like free booze in Y is going away too, if it's touted as a "benefit" for Y+.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Also worth noting: extra seats = extra carry on bags = even less space overhead.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Air Canada Top Tier
[INDENT][LIST][*]eUpgrades You'll be able to upgrade from Premium Economy to Executive First with eUpgrade Credits – the number of credits required & booking window are aligned with upgrades from ‘M’ class. For launch, though, it will not be possible to upgrade from Economy Class to Premium Economy. We are evaluating how to offer eUpgrades to Premium Economy, and more information on this is to come.
The pessimist in me has noted that no mention was made about the current ability to upgrade from Y to J. Was this an honest omission, or will our ability to upgrade to J from Y be 'enhanced' with these changes?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by pacificboot
Galley spaces have also been cut dramatically (while passenger count in the back have increased over 30%), with the galley behind the fourth door gone, a smaller galley in the second door. I don't think that AC can use this configuration to flights to HKG/Asia due to the decreased galley sizes. I don't see how it would fit.
Indeed, where will the cabin crew hide and read their magazines and/or moan to each other about how much their jobs suck? Will they be forced to *gasp* actually have to circulate through the airplane more than once every three hours?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:23 am

Y will be 17" width, 31" pitch
This is exactly the same as UA's B747 Y.

UA's 777 Y seat wideth is 18" but the pitch is also 31".
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AC E50k
Y will be 17" width, 31" pitch vs current 18.5" width, 32" pitch. No thanks.
So basically, on the YUL-CDG route, which counts for 50% of my travel, AC is going the TS way in Y. I can't believe it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by luchoqc
So basically, on the YUL-CDG route, which counts for 50% of my travel, AC is going the TS way in Y. I can't believe it.
No, the UA way.

For those who advocated to fly UA Y, there should be no problem to fly AC’s new 77H. The Y seat is exactly the same width and pitch.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Clipper801
This is exactly the same as UA's B747 Y.

UA's 777 Y seat wideth is 18" but the pitch is also 31".
Yes but UA has E+ for its elites at about 36", which is not PE but better than normal economy, and a benefit for its elites.

All I can say is I am glad I've left AC for AA and UA, among other carriers. They offer a much better cost:benefit equation for someone who has no large corporate entity to finance my travel. This is definitely a great innovation for increasing seat yields and encouraging corporate business. (Tango fares now at the old T+ level, even an increase in economy seats by moving to 3-4-3; a reduction in costly J seats so fewer freeloading upgraders; and more attractive full fare economy seat aka PE.) Yes, PE has been a long time coming but rather than opt for an E+ as UA, DL and AA have done, AC is opting for this higher-revenenue generating PE model.

For me, and many in my circumstances, there is absolutely no reasonto pay AC more money for less space and a now-horrible FF program. (Altitude may be a marginal attempt to improve the elite program, but AE's fees make it impossible to justify collecting miles in.) If I sample this new plane and J seats, it will be using a UA/MP award which will cost me a fraction of what the same award would cost using AE miles.

Last edited by Shareholder; Feb 7, 2013 at 10:12 am
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Clipper801
No, the UA way.

For those who advocated to fly UA Y, there should be no problem to fly AC’s new 77H. The Y seat is exactly the same width and pitch.
With what I would suspect to be a slimmer seat (and also leather?), so potentially more legroom.

Originally Posted by canforce
Thats not what I came up with

77W - 42J + 302Y = 349

77H - 36J + 24Y+ + 398Y = 458

Thats an increase of 107 seats on the same airplane that can already feel cramped!!!

Not to mention the fact that from the diagrams....

77W = 11 Bathrooms
77H = 9 Bathrooms

I wont be going anywhere near these airplanes!!
If you look at the seat map, you will realize that AC is now fitting 36J seat in the exact same space where they used to put 24. That's an increase of 50%!!! Tell me about some devaluation of their J product! I can't believe that they're trying to market the PE product as a huge improvement while both their J & Y product is clearly going down the hole.

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
So an improvement for 24 pax and a downgrade for 90% plus of the pax. No thanks. Are these new 777's destined for rouge anytime soon?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by shore9
So an improvement for 24 pax and a downgrade for 90% plus of the pax. No thanks. Are these new 777's destined for rouge anytime soon?
YUL-CDG will be in fact a Rouge flight, with a J cabin!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by luchoqc
If you look at the seat map, you will realize that AC is now fitting 36J seat in the exact same space where they used to put 24. That's an increase of 50%!!! Tell me about some devaluation of their J product! I can't believe that they're trying to market the PE product as a huge improvement while both their J & Y product is clearly going down the hole.
Other than some J seats not having direct aisle access, what are the other drawback of the seat? I've heard great reviews of the LX, OS, and SN seats - which are the same.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Other than some J seats not having direct aisle access, what are the other drawback of the seat? I've heard great reviews of the LX, OS, and SN seats - which are the same.
I would really like to read the same reviews that you've read about the seat... but for me, giving up on the privacy of the pods is a HUGE drawback. And if you pack another 12 people in the room...
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Garbageman
The pessimist in me has noted that no mention was made about the current ability to upgrade from Y to J. Was this an honest omission, or will our ability to upgrade to J from Y be 'enhanced' with these changes?
The way I read it, I assumed nothing was changing. Otherwise, why would they make it use the M rules for the number of upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.