Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Customer Relations: Negligent, or Acting in Bad Faith?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat (sigh) FPC Platinum (sigh)

Hi FTers,

Just a heads up: if AC ever offers you a promo coupon, you might want to think twice. In our case, the coupon was worthless.

AC stranded my family on our last flight with them, and AC's idea of protecting us was to tell us to come back to the airport and try again in 5 days. Five days! Classic AC could-care-less attitude. After much agitation by ourselves and our travel agent, AC eventually got us out - 3 days later.

As “compensation”, AC gave us a promo coupon with a 40% discount. That sounded OK at the time. Flights using the coupon had to be booked within one year. There were no other restrictions.

Fast forward to today, much less than a year later and completely within the time frame of the coupon, and we attempted to use it. But every time the code was entered, by myself and our travel agent, AC wouldn’t accept it. AC said it wasn’t valid – they’d issued a bogus coupon. Calls to AC were met with “what are you calling us for? Contact AC Customer Relations”. But of course there’s no phone number for Customer Relations. So I emailed Customer Relations. And waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, days later, AC responded saying the coupon would now work.

But too little too late. By that time, fares had skyrocketed. AC Customer Relations could have cared less when we brought this to their attention. Coupon didn’t work? Too bad. We’ll get to it sometime next week.

It seems to me they were dragging their feet when we brought the issue of the bogus coupon to them. They had to know if they waited long enough, by the time they “fixed” the coupon we couldn’t afford to use it. Perhaps what they had hoped all along.

It raises the question: was AC negligent in offering a bogus coupon, or did they know it was bogus but offered it to us anyway in bad faith, hoping to avoid actually ever compensating us. These are the only two possible explanations I can think of. Tellingly, I put this question to AC Customer Relations, and they never responded to it directly. I’d be curious to know what FTers think: was AC negligent, or did they act in bad faith?

Something to keep in mind should AC ever offer you “compensation”. Their idea of compensation may not extend to actual compensation.

I've stayed out of the AC fanboy/AC hater rants on the boards. I've flown a lot of airlines a lot of times and know the pros and cons of AC well. But this time AC's actions (or deliberate inaction) were so bad I had to post to give all a heads up should they ever be in the same situation.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
As I don´t remember ever reading a report of a compensation %off code not working here on FT (and the %off codes is the standard compensation offered by AC) I´d say it was neglience, but I still find it quite surprising you were strande for THREE days unless it was a destination only served three times a week.What route was this if I may ask?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, NEXUS/GE

Agree that the first part doesn't make sense without details. Where were you flying to/from?

I, too, have not heard of a coupon not working. I really doubt there was an intentional conspiracy... But obviously an error of some kind.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:40 pm

Some detail would nice, or any detail

and no I don't think AC has singled you out to shaft, they are not organized or care enough to do that.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - How can anyone provide meaningful assistance with absolutely no detail?

As to the "stranding," where & when was it and where were you headed? How did they strand you? Were they flying other flights with empty seats but just made you wait or where the other flights, if there were any, full and so they couldn't acommodate you? This stuff matters.

As to the coupon, it sounds as though they fixed it, but that the cheap fare buckets were gone by that time. However, if you explained this to AC in the same manner as on this thread, it's so confusing that I don't think they would understand the issue.

So, some details and maybe you'll get some help.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:36 pm

Never ascribe to conspiracy what incompetence more aptly describes.

I wouldn't use either of the terms "negligence" or "bad faith" to describe what occurred. Indifference, would be my choice.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Ask to extend it

Air Canada was quite nice when I asked them if I could extend a coupon as I wasn't able to use it as I mostly travel on Flight Passes. They extended it for another period of time as a courtesy and let me know that they wouldn't extend it any further.

^
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:15 pm

You got a goodwill voucher, not compensation.

You've learned that trying to use the goodwill voucher has been a hassle and ultimately worth little in value (or perhaps nothing if you aren't able to use it). You might judge the goodwill of the company in a similar light.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Agree that if its a choice between a stuff up and a conspriacy, 'stuff up' usually wins

But I don't see why some posters are asking / demanding for 'detail' on the original flights etc. Not only are such not germaine to the issue of the discount coupon not working, the OP doesn't appear to be asking for 'help', just giving a 'heads up' type of story.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Agree that if its a choice between a stuff up and a conspriacy, 'stuff up' usually wins

But I don't see why some posters are asking / demanding for 'detail' on the original flights etc. Not only are such not germaine to the issue of the discount coupon not working, the OP doesn't appear to be asking for 'help', just giving a 'heads up' type of story.
Because no flights, dates, connections or even time frame other than 3 days / 5 days was provided as to why he had a discount coupon. Then his discount coupon did not work, so he claims AC targeted him to cheat him.

...... please when you make accusations back it up with at least some basic facts of what happened, not " coupon did not work and i waited a long time to get an email answered and then my discounted fare was gone"

Or you can just go with AC is always evil and no proof or even coherent story is required.

I like some facts, and clear understanding of what happened, go figure,
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Xluther: Oh, please don't be so silly. And please take a deep breath, and re-read both the original post, and then mine.

Originally Posted by xLuther
Because no flights, dates, connections or even time frame other than 3 days / 5 days was provided as to why he had a discount coupon. Then his discount coupon did not work, so he claims AC targeted him to cheat him.
<snip>
The reason the discount coupon was granted made no difference to the fact that the coupon apparently didn't work. The post was about the coupon, and AC's reaction to it not working, not the particular flights that started the saga.

<snip>
...... please when you make accusations back it up with at least some basic facts of what happened, not " coupon did not work and i waited a long time to get an email answered and then my discounted fare was gone"
<snip>
And please let me know where I made an accusation?

The OP didn't claim that AC tried to cheat him/her. They posed the question.

<snip>

Or you can just go with AC is always evil and no proof or even coherent story is required.

I like some facts, and clear understanding of what happened, go figure,
Take the 'heads up' or ignore it - up to you.

Last edited by RooFlyer; Jan 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm Reason: 'fights' has become flights :-)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by RooFlyer

The OP was complaining (giving us the 'heads up') about the original cancellation as well and the details are essential to understand what exactly happened. Stranded for five days? What does that mean? Just trying to understand a strange story.

The coupon is a separate issue as many have indicated.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
AC

It may feel like I'm going OT here but I wanted to share a similar experience. I flew from the US to Australia through Canada with AC and on my return portion of the trip due to a visa issue (which was not my fault) I was not able to fly on the day of travel and AC offered to allow me to stand by for the following day. I was warned that flights for the next few days were pretty full, so it's not a guarantee they will be able to accommodate me. Well, I showed up the following morning with everything in order and they got me a seat on the flight. So, in this case I have to say that AC did act in a good faith manner and even though it wasn't their fault for the missing visa, they took care of me regardless. And I was a no status passenger back then. So, I'm quite pleased with how they handled the issue. Alternatively, they could have said - your ticket is now useless and you need to figure out another way to get back. Granted this all happened in the summer of 2011 and a lot has changed since in AC world but I think that this was worth mentioning given the experience the OP shared. Hopefully, it's the exception rather than the rule.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:20 pm

Amusing the Fanboys asking for details of the flights. AMUSING. Trying to spin the OP in a bad light is what they will do, say he should have done this or that. Don't respond.

The Question was about coupons. If you don't know about them or haven't got one then don't contribute.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by todare
Amusing the Fanboys asking for details of the flights. AMUSING. Trying to spin the OP in a bad light is what they will do, say he should have done this or that. Don't respond.

The Question was about coupons. If you don't know about them or haven't got one then don't contribute.
Haven't made any judgements, not a fanboy, not trying to spin OP in bad light...just interested in what is meant by... "AC stranded my family on our last flight with them, and AC's idea of protecting us was to tell us to come back to the airport and try again in 5 days."

Sounds like the OP got screwed on the coupon..we got that. Just curious about what happened initially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.