Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Check in agent not giving priority to priority queue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, HH gold

Just had a bizarre experience. Sitting in the sudbury airport and, due to weather, flight gets cancelled. it happens, right?

About 30 people pour out of the gate area and into the ticketing desk area. There are 2 counters, both open. There is a queue of approximately 25 people, and I notice the elite/super elite lane is open with no queue. With our elite cards in hand, My colleague and I stand in the empty line.

I understand rebooking takes time and everyone is frustrated. The agent takes someone from the regular line, then someone from the regular line again. We don't say anything, thinking he just hasn't looked up to notice. After this happens 4 times, we politely ask if we are in the right place or if we should rejoin the pther queue. The agent, fairly rudely, tells us to relax and that he will get to everyone eventually.

We decide to call AC reservations and rebook there. I get a seat, my colleague does not. If he had taken from the priority line as is designed to be done(??) we would have both gotten seats.

I just don't understand - Is the line not for that purpose? Anyone flown through Sudbury and had a similar problem? The gate agent's name is Garnet.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by anilisa
We decide to call AC reservations and rebook there. I get a seat, my colleague does not. If he had taken from the priority line as is designed to be done(??) we would have both gotten seats.
Yes AC should have taken from the priority line, but you've also learned a valuable lesson - calling the E/SE line is usually far faster and more effective than standing in line when a flgiht is delayed/cancelled.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
during irrops/delays, everything can crumble. Yes, the agent should have helped you first and been polite, but of course, they were faced with an angry mob, so manners can dissappear

Status/J pax are usually told to go to the MLL and find an agent there, or call their priority contacts/concierge for help, as agents at the gates get overwhelmed quickly. Whenever something like this happens to me, first thing I do is call. The agent in a cibicle on the other end of the line isn't as stressed as the agent facing a line of furious, tired pax!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
Yes AC should have taken from the priority line, but you've also learned a valuable lesson - calling the E/SE line is usually far faster and more effective than standing in line when a flgiht is delayed/cancelled.
+1 Never stand in line Call the E/SE line, rebook, grab a coffee and when the line is empty, go get your boarding pass.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Echoing sentiments above to just call in.

But shouldn't status pax be given priority during IRROPS? Your colleague should write in regarding this (great that you have the name), especially if a) agents were not using priority line b) was rude to you.

I'd be pissed, and if all the above means he missed a flight then I think they'll probably throw him a discount code.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by yvr76
But shouldn't status pax be given priority during IRROPS? ....
According to a staff member of a major US carrier whom I met (also an FTer), during IRROPS, everything is pretty much on a first come first served basis.

Status only comes into play when the pax needs to be waitlisted on a flight.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yvr76
But shouldn't status pax be given priority during IRROPS?
I think On My Way pax are the ones who get priority.

Originally Posted by nave888
Status/J pax are usually told to go to the MLL and find an agent there...
The MLL in YSB is lovely.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
Just had a bizarre experience. Sitting in the sudbury airport and, due to weather, flight gets cancelled. it happens, right?

About 30 people pour out of the gate area and into the ticketing desk area. There are 2 counters, both open. There is a queue of approximately 25 people, and I notice the elite/super elite lane is open with no queue. With our elite cards in hand, My colleague and I stand in the empty line.

I understand rebooking takes time and everyone is frustrated. The agent takes someone from the regular line, then someone from the regular line again. We don't say anything, thinking he just hasn't looked up to notice. After this happens 4 times, we politely ask if we are in the right place or if we should rejoin the pther queue. The agent, fairly rudely, tells us to relax and that he will get to everyone eventually.

I just don't understand - Is the line not for that purpose? Anyone flown through Sudbury and had a similar problem? The gate agent's name is Garnet.
My last experience with a delay out of YSB experienced terrible customer service with a don't care attitude. Completely understand your frustration as I've been experienced the terrible service in YSB from AC. Always call the SE line.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC E50 MM, WJ Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
[QUOTE=The Lev;20029344]I think On My Way pax are the ones who get priority.

The MLL in YSB is lovely. [/QUOTE

Don't run down the little cafe upstairs, spent many an hour there.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

The way I operate is, to avoid all human contact as much as possible when it comes to travel, regardless of airline (as an SE, concierges exempted of course ). Of course, this does not mean that how you were treated by the agent was right. I'm just saying that's my way of making my life easier... never deal with the monkeys (sorry if I insulted any monkey out there)
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Hyatt, AA
Very typical for AC sadly

A normal trip really
- flight delayed
- flight canx
- wait in endless line
- rude service
- give up and use the phone
- post on flyer talk
- most everyone has had a similar Air Canastrophe

I'm to the point that if isnt a US airline flying me into or out of my destination and if isn't Westjet flying me internally then I'll rent a car. I just can't risk the AC lottery of bad experiences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.