Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Is there a way to find out what AC codeshare on SA maps into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Is there a way to find out what AC codeshare on SA maps into?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM
Is there a way to find out what AC codeshare on SA maps into?

AC K fare, does it map into K fare on SA?

How do I find out?

Why doesnt AC make this available at booking, all you get is Tango,K.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
On the confirmation page it should have a popup that shows the mileage accumulation for codeshares. Is SA Singapore?

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...ileage_sq.html
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvr76
On the confirmation page it should have a popup that shows the mileage accumulation for codeshares. Is SA Singapore?

No, its South African - and its not listed here
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...codeshare.html

useless AC as always...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
No, its South African - and its not listed here
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...codeshare.html

useless AC as always...
Even if there were a link to SA, it wouldn't answer your question, which is more to do with the uselessness of the entire *A as much AC's own uselessness.

If your question is really "will I get 100%, 50%, or 0%" miles, as good a method as any would be to see how much your ticket costs on AC.com.

Then go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and put the same dates and same city pair along with the following tricks. Click on "Advanced Routing Codes" and ask for the fare basis corresponding to the lowest that your target operating carrier would give you 100% AP miles. (In this case with SA that would be Q). To do this put into both the second boxes that comes up:

/f bc=Q

Also, uncheck the box at the bottom "Only show flights and prices with available seats".

When the results come up, find the first result with only SA flights (which includes codeshares). Often you'll find the same airplanes as in your original AC.com booking.

Look at the price SA wants for 100% miles and compare it with the price AC.com is quoting. For example, April 9-23, AC in Tango wants $1396 all in. The Q fare on SA for the same dates is over 3k. Think you are getting 100% miles? No way.

Try it with the SQ W fare (the lowest at 50% AP miles). They want over 2.2k. You might get the miles or you might not. The W fare is also the cheapest SA offers from its own website. They'll give you 50% miles themselves for these. That would be my best guess - you'll get 50% miles.

My worry is that you might even get 50% for even the lower T+ fares offered by AC.com.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
K = G
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Is there a way to find out what AC codeshare on SA maps into?

Just curious: if you called reservations, would they know all the codeshare fare mapping?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
SA – South African Air
AC* on SA (effective December 13, 2012)

AC
class
J C D Z Y B M U H Q V N W G S P T E L A K

SA
class
J Z Z D Y M M K S T V V L L W W * * * G G

* = W
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Very helpful PropWasher. Not sure why these aren't posted on AC website since most other code share airlines are.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Very helpful PropWasher. Not sure why these aren't posted on AC website since most other code share airlines are.
Where on the AC website is there a mapping of AC fare bases to operating carrier fare bases?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PropWasher
SA – South African Air
AC* on SA (effective December 13, 2012)

AC
class
J C D Z Y B M U H Q V N W G S P T E L A K

SA
class
J Z Z D Y M M K S T V V L L W W * * * G G

* = W

^ Thank you! I guess its half miles to MP then
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by zorn
Where on the AC website is there a mapping of AC fare bases to operating carrier fare bases?
Here are 3 of them.

http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...ileage_lh.html
http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/c...ileage_tg.html

I haven't tried any others. But it doesn't work for SA.

Actually, these links don't tell you what each fare maps to on the other airline, but they do tell you what the mileage accumulation will be.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, AP Basic, FPC Platinum, SPG Gold
I flew from YYZ to PLZ last in Feb 2012. I spent a lot of effort trying to book on AC with a codeshare on SA to get full status miles. I was looking to credit A3 to make *G. I tried calling AC and SA to book directly with them. Neither could book a flight that would give full status miles. I even went to a TA to see if they could somehow book it with an AC codeshare mapping into SA Q class or if it could be done on SA stock. It COULD NOT be done In the end, I had the TA book 2 separate tickets. YYZ-LHR (AC) then LHR-JNB-PLZ (SA). It was only about $100 extra which I figured it was worth it to make *G for 3 years on A3.

Last edited by epost77; Jan 7, 2013 at 5:40 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by epost77
I flew from YYZ to PLZ last in Feb 2012. I spent a lot of effort trying to book on AC with a codeshare on SA to get full status miles. I was looking to credit A3 to make *G. I tried calling AC and SA to book directly with them. Neither could book a flight that would give full status miles. I even went to a TA to see if they could somehow book it with an AC codeshare mapping into SA Q class or if it could be done on SA stock. It COULD NOT be done In the end, I had the TA book 2 separate tickets. YYZ-LHR (AC) then LHR-JNB-PLZ (SA). It was only about $100 extra which I figured it was worth it to make *G for 3 years on A3.
well there was no booking separate tickets here, it was siginficantly more money, we'll just have to take half the miles on LHR-JNB-LHR in G class (funny because I remember crediting G on the $700 MRU mistake fare 2 years ago on SA to MP at 100%)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
And be prepared to mail in your boarding passes to AE for credit. I have had to do this twice when flying on SA, to get my miles credited.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by zorn
Even if there were a link to SA, it wouldn't answer your question, which is more to do with the uselessness of the entire *A as much AC's own uselessness.

If your question is really "will I get 100%, 50%, or 0%" miles, as good a method as any would be to see how much your ticket costs on AC.com.

Then go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and put the same dates and same city pair along with the following tricks. Click on "Advanced Routing Codes" and ask for the fare basis corresponding to the lowest that your target operating carrier would give you 100% AP miles. (In this case with SA that would be Q). To do this put into both the second boxes that comes up:

/f bc=Q

Also, uncheck the box at the bottom "Only show flights and prices with available seats".

When the results come up, find the first result with only SA flights (which includes codeshares). Often you'll find the same airplanes as in your original AC.com booking.

Look at the price SA wants for 100% miles and compare it with the price AC.com is quoting. For example, April 9-23, AC in Tango wants $1396 all in. The Q fare on SA for the same dates is over 3k. Think you are getting 100% miles? No way.

Try it with the SQ W fare (the lowest at 50% AP miles). They want over 2.2k. You might get the miles or you might not. The W fare is also the cheapest SA offers from its own website.
Is quite crazy that one has to go through something like this just to find out how many miles you should get.
Its all "smoke and mirrors", heaven knows why it cannot be clearly spelled out on the booking page. It is after all something that you are paying for.
It puzzles me every time i have to do this sleuthing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.