Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ticket for "UM" on same flight as award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB

So I've been trying to price out an award. For real this time. Not just pipe dream speculation, I actually have special dispensation from MrsBarn to do this and enthusiastic agreement from Barn the Younger's Grandparents. This is planetary alignment stuff here.

So far, it's going pretty well. I know that seats exist, expertflyer account started, ANA searching in earnest, and spreadsheets under construction. I won't get into specifics YET, but let's just say that while I wouldn't consider it a "big deal on Flyertalk" it is one of those things that I will most certainly get strange looks when I mention this to anyone else. Non-trivial amounts of F will be applied. I will, as a result, not be mentioning this to non-flyertalk people until it is booked and confirmed, and certainly not before August.

So enough with the preamble. Let's get down to the introduction. I need to book a ticket for a "UM" on WAW-ORD-YXE-YYZ-WAW where at no point will said M be U. On every flight there will be a parent or grandparent present, but not all at the same time, and we will be travelling on a mix of award and paid through the whole thing.

The question: Can I roll up to Aeroplan and say "here's a list of flights, names, and confirmation numbers, sell me a ticket just for a two-year-old" and walk away from that conversation with a ticket? Can I do the same but, instead of AP, call up the operating carrier and get them to issue it?

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Jan 7, 2013 at 2:21 am
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Who says you need to mention the age of the traveller?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Who says you need to mention the age of the traveller?
Okay, fair enough. Apparently I am still an idiot

Must have been so enthused by this plan that my mind took a walk when I looked at that half of it. Well now don't I feel a fool... again.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:29 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Personally I think that as long as the UM is never actually U, then it shouldn't matter. If one was to do this and then the UM showed up without someone accompanying them issues could arise.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:32 am

I doubt that you will be able to get a ticket on the basis of this:

On every flight there will be a parent or grandparent present, but not all at the same time, and we will be travelling on a mix of award and paid through the whole thing.
Either the UM is actually U and therefore needs the proper paperwork and accompaniment, and is the responsibility of the carrier, or the M travels with someone at all times, and hence on the same itinerary as the (at least) one adult who is responsible for him/her. This is not like people meeting on various airplanes, planned or not, who happen to pass an object between themselves along the way.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by okazon69
Either the UM is actually U and therefore needs the proper paperwork and accompaniment, and is the responsibility of the carrier, or the M travels with someone at all times, and hence on the same itinerary as the (at least) one adult who is responsible for him/her.
This is maybe a good reason why I asked. By this are you saying that the M must be with the same person on all segments? Or will it be dependent on who checks in for a given segment.

So, as an example could we just book a regular vanilla (not-child) ticket A-B and back (or A-B, C-A open-jaw) for the M with two one-way intra-NA tickets in the middle? I can easily arrange such that the one-way segments are ticketed with a known adult (parents on first, grandparents on second) so we can get around it that way, but the end segments would be the separate ticket ones.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
This is maybe a good reason why I asked. By this are you saying that the M must be with the same person on all segments? Or will it be dependent on who checks in for a given segment.

So, as an example could we just book a regular vanilla (not-child) ticket A-B and back (or A-B, C-A open-jaw) for the M with two one-way intra-NA tickets in the middle? I can easily arrange such that the one-way segments are ticketed with a known adult (parents on first, grandparents on second) so we can get around it that way, but the end segments would be the separate ticket ones.
I think okazon69 is needlessly confusing things.

You need to ensure two things:
  1. The two year old needs to be accompanied (duh)
  2. It is good practice at all times, but more especially if you are crossing borders and the two year old is not being accompanied by both parents, you should have a letter (preferably notarized) signed by both parents explaining the itinerary and that the adult is authorized to be transporting the child.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:05 am

I would think that as long as for every ticket there is the M tied to one or more adults, then you're fine. The hand-off from segment to segment, or ticket to ticket, and possibly with a different adult, is then not visible to the carrier(s) and so won't cause concern. I doubt any carrier would issue the M a ticket for the sequence of segments the adults are flying individually or together, and possibly on different tickets, along with your word that the M won't become U.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Lev
You need to ensure two things:
  1. The two year old needs to be accompanied (duh)
  2. It is good practice at all times, but more especially if you are crossing borders and the two year old is not being accompanied by both parents, you should have a letter (preferably notarized) signed by both parents explaining the itinerary and that the adult is authorized to be transporting the child.
1. Well I'm sure I can handle the first.
2. We've already run across issues with this one, and both parents were travelling. It has to do with last names and how on one passport the M has mine, but not MrsBarn's, however the full name IS listed on page 3 or something as being the birth certificate name. But as I was the only person who remembered this, it was not terribly helpful. However yes, for this we're definitely getting some notarized letters made up, if not a new passport or two.

Originally Posted by okazon69
I would think that as long as for every ticket there is the M tied to one or more adults, then you're fine. The hand-off from segment to segment, or ticket to ticket, and possibly with a different adult, is then not visible to the carrier(s) and so won't cause concern. I doubt any carrier would issue the M a ticket for the sequence of segments the adults are flying individually or together, and possibly on different tickets, along with your word that the M won't become U.
Tricky. I think this is going to take some creative routing/planning...
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
I don't know if this will help the OP, but if one has to book travel for an M (either reward or revenue) and the parents/grandparents/etc. have another (same routing, though) you can book the M online (if available) with a adult age DoB to lock in the fare/reward and call in to correct the DoB and cross-reference the two reservations.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I have done something similar (less flights though) with my son.
I had AE put a note in his file with my PNR so they knew that he was not alone.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan
How are you going to manage seating?

Linking the M's ticket to so many different tickets is likely to raise eyebrows.

Or are you throwing yourself on the mercy of the gate agent/pax?

As well, what happens if there is a WX and the M's put on different flights than originally planned? (i.e. misses YXE - YYZ due to late incoming from ORD and is put on an alternate flight, but the adult for the YXE-YYZ segment is starting in YXE so is expected to leave on the original flight.)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:40 am

Another point to keep in mind: a minor must be accompanied by an adult in the same cabin at all times. Booking J for yourself and Y for a child means problems.

If the child is going to be accompanied by an adult in the same cabin on every segment, then I believe you should be fine with the ticket, paid or award. If paid, just book online with an adult date of birth, then call within 24h to correct the date of birth, as suggested previously. I've just done it and it worked fine.

I had two adults on award in J, and then booked three kids online on the same AC flight in Y, putting wrong (adult) birth dates. Then called AC to correct dates of birth, and explained that one of the adults will swap seats with one of the kids, so everyone will be accompanied in the same cabin at all times. Worked fine.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
How are you going to manage seating?

Linking the M's ticket to so many different tickets is likely to raise eyebrows.

Or are you throwing yourself on the mercy of the gate agent/pax?

As well, what happens if there is a WX and the M's put on different flights than originally planned? (i.e. misses YXE - YYZ due to late incoming from ORD and is put on an alternate flight, but the adult for the YXE-YYZ segment is starting in YXE so is expected to leave on the original flight.)
We'll try to book all the seating in advance, but on everything but the last segment there will be two adults, so we could switch if necessary. And only the first segment is tricky with class, but we'll have two adults there to switch with. So worst case M and MrsBarn will be in J, me in Y. Average case PE.

In terms of weather, I'm not too worried. WAW-ORD-YXE is all with us, and we have to book a separate ORD-YXE anyway, so it'll be one one-way for the M and the start of a rt for us. Staying in YXE two weeks or more, then YXE-YYZ will be a day or two before the return to WAW, so it'd need to be a pretty late incoming. YXE-YYZ would probably be a one way for M and rt for the grandparents.

Seems this is slightly more complex than I'd hoped, but not at all impossible with creative ticketing, long stops, and a hefty dose of travel insurance. But thanks to everyone for all the help! If this at all comes together I'll be sure to have more questions!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by echino
Another point to keep in mind: a minor must be accompanied by an adult in the same cabin at all times. Booking J for yourself and Y for a child means problems.

If the child is going to be accompanied by an adult in the same cabin on every segment, then I believe you should be fine with the ticket, paid or award. If paid, just book online with an adult date of birth, then call within 24h to correct the date of birth, as suggested previously. I've just done it and it worked fine.

I had two adults on award in J, and then booked three kids online on the same AC flight in Y, putting wrong (adult) birth dates. Then called AC to correct dates of birth, and explained that one of the adults will swap seats with one of the kids, so everyone will be accompanied in the same cabin at all times. Worked fine.
+1 ^

<snip>
Seems this is slightly more complex than I'd hoped, but not at all impossible with creative ticketing, long stops, and a hefty dose of travel insurance. But thanks to everyone for all the help! If this at all comes together I'll be sure to have more questions!
Let us know how it works out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.