Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Well, i have no reason not to believe what my close friends say.
Well, and I do have a reason not to believe what you and your friends say. Just read your own comments. Perhaps a tribal feud?

Comparison of carriers was for YYZ-WAW route.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by musicmtl
I was on 767 twice on Rouge TATL and enjoyed it. Very professional staff and no issues with the seats.

But this is coming from someone who usually sits in Y.
I would agree completely - that domestic Rouge Y is nearly as good as domestic mainline. Domestic Rouge J is possibly slightly better than mainline domestic J; the ipads are brighter and slightly larger. The exception is the very unusual pod J flights on domestic routes.

Domestic Rouge Y is unquestionably better than the crapshoot that UA is (even when one snags a prefered UA Y seat).

Rouge Y often doesn't have hot food, but Mainline Y often doesn't, either. A Rouge 767 probabally has better options than a Mainline eXX, let alone the Mainline Y only puddlejumpers. The 767 center bins are slightly too small and like to rip my rollerbag, but that is true if mainline or rouge.

I'm speaking as someone who flys exclusively domestic or TB on OPM in Y. J is for my eUps or AC's fUps.

I really don't understand the hate.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by RangerNS
....I really don't understand the hate.
1. You would need to grab a nice beverage and read the entire thread from the beginning. You can see where some of the "immense dislike" comes from (and IMO, early rouge experiences sucked for a number of reasons)

2. Catharsis

If nothing else, I would enjoy this rouge thing as a MBA case study one day...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: *$ Green
As a reference, I have 4 different family members that flew ACr on 4 different occasions.

One in O and three in Y.

They all said the crew was very pleasant and attentive, and would not hesitate doing it again.

I asked about the Y seats and they said it was no different (in their FOTSG eyes) than any other airlines they've take (AF, AT, LH, KL, UA).

It's making me want to try it. How dare I.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:06 am

Well, I personally hate the checkout lineups at Costco, especially at gas pumps. Yet its a grocer of choice for numerous other reasons. I understand Rouge is making money for AC and that implies people fly on it. So far it took 500 posts to debate " AirCanada rouge, the leisure airline ... ", agreement could have been achieved after 5 maybe 10 posts.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 24left
early rouge experiences sucked for a number of reasons)
And according to the general public, they still suck (at least 3/10 is not as bad 2/10 though, I ll give you that )
We can only speculate why Rouge had "rating coming soon" until the new star ratings were announced, and then never got one.

Or maybe it is that the AC faithful have finally been stockholmed into subsmission, and have resigned to accept their captor, even defend it.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Well, and I do have a reason not to believe what you and your friends say.
That's your prerogative.

Just read your own comments. Perhaps a tribal feud?
My own comments are saying that the Y in the 319 sucks and Y in the 767 is acceptable for short flights and I wouldn't want to travel TATL in it. But if you look at my comments about 10 abreast Y in the 777 or 9 abreast Y in the 787, you'll find that I'm saying exactly the same about it.

Comparison of carriers was for YYZ-WAW route.
If you want to limit the comparison to Y on direct flights only, both options suck.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I really don't understand the hate.
You are my new best friend. At least for the rest of this post (sorry 24left).

1. You would need to grab a nice beverage and read the entire thread from the beginning.
Yeah, and I'm sure I could start a flame war by talking about my LH F connecting to RV J experience.

Hint: Service was better on the latter.
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Surprised that this wasn't already posted. Article in the Globe this morning about Rouge's fleet growth, as per the new agreement with pilots

- Rouge fleet can grow on a 1-1 basis for any mainline narrow body addition
- Ratio moves to 2 Rouge narrow body for each wide body mainline addition
- Rouge will be allowed to replace its aging 767 with 787 (no growth in # of widebody airframes, replacements only)

The article mentions redeploying A320a as 737s join the fleet, and potentially adding capacity in places such as Hamilton and Abbotsford

Here's the link (subscription required): https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/rep...ticle36799290/
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
YYZ-DUB has been removed from the WIKI as the route has transitioned back to Mainline (A330).
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
- Rouge will be allowed to replace its aging 767 with 787 (no growth in # of widebody airframes, replacements only)

So.......in the other thread about the 10 year pilot agreement, there was some "speculating"

Speculate if any 788s are moving to rouge.
Originally Posted by tcook052
I can't see that happening as wouldn't the older 777's go to ACr before the brand new 787's?
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
.....Bottom line is the 788s are no closer to being rouge than the rest of the Boeing widebody fleet.

Specifically, the amendments provide Air Canada with the ability to expand the North American narrowbody fleet operated by Rouge according to an agreed-upon formula by Air Canada's pilots that enables the airline to expand its presence in certain regional markets and to compete effectively with emerging North American Ultra Low Cost Carriers (ULCCs).......

Perhaps we should update the rouge thread?
Still not convinced that wording means future 789 deliveries will be steered ACr way.

AC reaches 10-year deal with pilots. 2017 Update: deal amended
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Yesterday's rouge experience was not the best:

5:35pm departure out of YYZ to MCO. A million kids on the flight, including my 2. We are seated in 12HK and 13HK. Given the time of day, the kids want on board cafe for dinner - great, nice and easy.

Cart comes to the front, and we start going through the menu - they have no pizzas, sushi, Freshii products, Celery/Carrots, Cheese Platter. None. 1 Hummus, 1 Guacamole. Everything else was candy, chips, etc.

Crew had no idea how to interact in this situation, seemed annoyed that I kept asking for other items and wanted to move on. I had to be be fairly direct that we were going to work together to find a solution to feed our squad Not a lot of happy people behind me from the banter I could hear.

2nd time I have seen this on YYZ-MCO, will not get fooled a 3rd time.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AskTravis
Yesterday's rouge experience was not the best:

5:35pm departure out of YYZ to MCO. A million kids on the flight, including my 2. We are seated in 12HK and 13HK. Given the time of day, the kids want on board cafe for dinner - great, nice and easy.

Cart comes to the front, and we start going through the menu - they have no pizzas, sushi, Freshii products, Celery/Carrots, Cheese Platter. None. 1 Hummus, 1 Guacamole. Everything else was candy, chips, etc.

Crew had no idea how to interact in this situation, seemed annoyed that I kept asking for other items and wanted to move on. I had to be be fairly direct that we were going to work together to find a solution to feed our squad Not a lot of happy people behind me from the banter I could hear.

2nd time I have seen this on YYZ-MCO, will not get fooled a 3rd time.

I wonder if someone decided food should be optional on rouge or some rouge flights.

flyquiet's post in the North American Meal thread:

(I added spacing)

Originally Posted by flyquiet
Rouge TB (YYZMCO) menu
COMMENTS
GOOD: I was afraid to order chicken because of the peppers (allergy) but do not like mushrooms so I did it and was pleased. Much better than the (not-)tandoori chicken. White meat, a little dry, but nice sauce, not at all contaminated with the pepper-having side.

BAD: NO NUTS of any temperature were offered. Shades of service to come.
Very late even starting beverage service. Tried to push the French red on me (showed me the word "France" rather than the front of the label) but I wanted the Argentinian.

Confiscated the menus before service.

NO BREAD WAS SERVED. At all. Little plastic butters should have been removed from tray so as not to rub our noses in it. Wasted balsamic in salad bowl crying out for bread to soak it up.

NO DESSERT WAS SERVED*. The cheesecake is my least preferred of all the church-basement calibre desserts they have on rouge, but dang - dessert!
The * is because 1C got served dessert, after the meal tray was taken away. She did not offer same to anyone else.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
And mine was the later flight same day, not that one.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
This is a Westjet article, so not creating a new thread, but I noticed this gem:

Air Canada estimated that a Rouge aircraft costs up to 30 per cent less to operate than similar jets in its mainline fleet — the result of additional seats and lower-cost labour agreements.

WestJet has a radical ? and risky ? plan to get you on its planes | Financial Post

Well that’s fine, and I might be willing to fly Rouge (even Y?) if it was a) 30% cheaper and b) if I had a mainline alternative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.