Search

Trying to refund AE points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Trying to refund AE points

Hi gang. OK, here's the background ...

31 May 2012 - I redeem a bunch of Aeroplan points for Park Hopper passes to Disneyworld. AE immediately sends me the standard email thanking / congratulating me for redeeming points and includes an AE order number and an AE confirm number.

[Sometime in June] - I phone AE and ask them if this is all I need. Do I get some special code to claim the passes? Will they be mailed to me? Not to worry I'm told. Just go to Disney with the confirm # and all will be well.

10 Nov 2012 (Sat) - At Disney I go to the concierge at the hotel and try to claim my passes. No dice - the confirm # doesn't exist. But not to worry says the ever-helpful Disney rep; just try at the park and they might have it in their system. It doesn't feel right so I call Aeroplan. But it's roughly 20h00 and the call centre that handles non-flight redemptions is closed for the weekend! Please try your call again during biz hours which are M-F ...

11 Nov 2012 (Sun) - At the park, another very helpful Disney lady tries to find the reservation. No dice - doesn't exist on the system. I'm told there are 4 possible locations and it's not anywhere. Another Disney guy is there too and the 2 of them are trying their damndest but without luck.

The park (Magic Kingdom) is officially open now. My cool little nephew is starting to whimper because he wants to go see Mickey. I have no choice. I pay over $1300 USD for park passes. The Disney lady apologizes (as though it's her fault!) and gives me some fast pass coupons so I don't have to stand in line for the attractions.

The Disney lady tells me if I can find my redemption confirm code, I can get a refund for the difference. So that night, I make another redemption in the hopes that a fresh email and fresh redemption will somehow make a difference and that I can sort things out with AE later on.

12 Nov 2012 (Mon) - 08h00 and I'm at another Disney park talking to another very helpful Disney rep. This time I've got Aeroplan on the phone. The Disney guy is doing everything he can. The AE agent is polite but unapologetic. Finally the Disney guy finds it! The "Sold To" name is Elaine M @ 2xxx Rathburn Road in Mississauga. The "Guest Name" is RCyyz @ [my downtown address] in Toronto. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

So AE "sold" my original passes to someone, but made me eligible to pick them up. Apparently AE was supposed to send me a second email with the actual confirm code. I never got it. Now that I think about, Elaine M @ Rathburn Road probably did get it. The AE agent on the phone is insistent that I received the second email. I'm on a cell phone @ Disney. I don't feel like fighting then and there so I let it go.

The Disney guy is great. He processes the passes and refunds 100% my previous purchase. He tells me that I paid for these passes once so there's absolutely no reason for me to pay for any part of them again. I feel happy. I like Disney. I end up spending ghastly amounts of $$$ at Disney and not really caring. My cool little nephew has a grand old time. My sister is happy. My brother-in-law is happy. We all have a fantastic time and we love Disney.

AE on the other hand ...

12 Nov 2012 - that night I call AE and explain why I need to cancel my second redemption. "Sorry - it's no refunds." I ask for a supervisor - conveniently non are available but I can write to [email protected] to see if anything can be done.

So I've now written to AE but on the whole, I'm anticipating they won't refund me and will come up with some bogus excuse. At which point I'll escalate of course.

Feel free to comment / offer pearls of wisdom. I'll update this thread as things develop over the next few weeks.

Last edited by RCyyz; Nov 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Wow, that sounds like some royal screwup by Aeropeso.

Not surprised nobody at Aerepeso feel they did anything wrong or want to help. Hope they do eventually right the wrongs they did to you.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:43 pm

Sorry for this mess-up. What a rotten ordeal to have to go through when simply trying to have a fun vacation.

I think it's important to document stories like this, because the world needs to know when and how loyalty programs screw up - and more importantly, what they do to FIX the screw-up.

Unfortunately, you made a boo-boo by doing the second redemption. The terms and conditions for most loyalty programs are very specific that there are no refunds for these types of redemptions. You may get lucky and fight this to the end and get your points refunded, but I am thinking what is more likely to happen is that a CSR/supervisor will award you some 'pain and suffering' bonus points, because a refund would be physically impossible. This could work to your advantage though, because you could get all your points back, plus still have a hopper pass waiting for you at Disney again for next year - that's assuming that the passes are still valid.

Good luck! I am very curious to see how they handle this one!!! Keep fighting!!!

BTW, very impressive service by Disney! Great to hear! They love to take your $$$$, but they really are helpful when the shite hits the fan!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:11 pm

keep fighting, i smell small claims court coming....... also let people on Aeroplan's Twitter/Facebook know about this story!

BTW Who is Elaine M? Another customer, a broker or travel agent of Aeroplan?

Last edited by global happy traveller; Nov 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pokee
... because a refund would be physically impossible.
I don't really see why. To this day, Aeroplan has still only sent me 1 email for the second redemption. I suspect that Elaine M or some other random person has that 2nd email (with appropriate confirm code) informing them that Disney passes are waiting for them in Florida.

I would think that "money" (points) paid and goods not received would lead to a refund in any other case. Certainly any other company would reasonably take this perspective. A credit card company would put a charge on hold then take the case up; why should AE act differently?

Like I said, I'm not anticipating AE to come through graciously as they should. We've all had more than enough poor experiences with both AE and AC. I only mention AC here because utlimately, this incident reflects poorly on them too since AE is their "loyalty" program of choice. But we'll see ...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
This is good material on their facebook page. How big Aeroplan failed the little kid.

Of course they will make it right.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:17 pm

Crappy

I would have burst a nut ig it where i.

Fight fight, as above go to facebook also.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by RCyyz
I don't really see why. To this day, Aeroplan has still only sent me 1 email for the second redemption. I suspect that Elaine M or some other random person has that 2nd email (with appropriate confirm code) informing them that Disney passes are waiting for them in Florida.

I would think that "money" (points) paid and goods not received would lead to a refund in any other case. Certainly any other company would reasonably take this perspective. A credit card company would put a charge on hold then take the case up; why should AE act differently?

Like I said, I'm not anticipating AE to come through graciously as they should. We've all had more than enough poor experiences with both AE and AC. I only mention AC here because utlimately, this incident reflects poorly on them too since AE is their "loyalty" program of choice. But we'll see ...
I am just guessing here, and could be totally wrong. I am sure supervisors can override the rules based on the circumstances. But, it really depends on how the 'system' handles these types of redemptions. They may not be reversable once they are completed. That's why they may just give you the points and the hopper passes reward will still be sitting there at Disney for someone to claim...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:23 pm

dealing with Aeroplan is such an aggravating experience *sigh*............ i can add this to my other Aeroplan stories including their lack of cooperation during Hurricane Sandy and making flight changes after a SKCH

Last edited by global happy traveller; Nov 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Sorry to hear of this situation and I hope you get it cleared up.

But, this is another example of why I'll never AE points for anything other than flights in that AE is so unreliable when it comes to redeeming from other partners.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Sorry to hear of this situation and I hope you get it cleared up.

But, this is another example of why I'll never AE points for anything other than flights in that AE is so unreliable when it comes to redeeming from other partners.
Agreed - except for gift cards, if there is absolutely no use for flights. Gift cards typically don't expire and you could give them as gifts if you don't end up using them yourself. I redeemed for Best Western once. Horrible value - and would NEVER do it again, but I did it once was I was ignorant about points value...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA 1K, AC 35K, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
What an outrageous breach of privacy. Both yours and this other woman. This is also contrary to AE's privacy policy

Very disappointing AE
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
BTW Who is Elaine M? Another customer, a broker or travel agent of Aeroplan?
I have absolutely no idea!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by huntk
What an outrageous breach of privacy. Both yours and this other woman. This is also contrary to AE's privacy policy

Very disappointing AE
Actually, good point. That's a very serious issue. I think privacy laws are different in each province, but maybe you should suggest that you could give the other woman a call tell her that AE gave you all of her information! You've got some major ammunition on your side!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Privacy Commissioner

The Privacy Commissioner, both federally and provincially, would be happy to investigate the situation. The cost of AE's legal fees to answer the inquiry would far surpass the cost of refunding you whatever you ask. Hold their feet to the fire, and, if necessary, contact their General Counsel directly with the proposal as to who he would rather settle with...you or the government.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.