Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same-day turn possible in BDA AC942-943?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same-day turn possible in BDA AC942-943?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Question Same-day turn possible in BDA AC942-943?

Would anyone have experience in doing a same-day turn on YYZ-BDA-YYZ. AC942 arrives at 11:55 and 943 departs 12:55. This seems like plenty of time, and I beleive the same aircraft so there appears not be an issue with missing the flight.

However, can one stay at the gate or must one clear customs and immigration? In case immigration must be cleared, is one hour enough to go through this and security and be back at the gate in time for boarding? Of course, I'd already be checked in with BP.

And thoughts appreciated.

TIA,

Whitey in YUL
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I´m almost 100% sure you have to clear immigration/customs and then clear security again.

In theory one hour should be plenty, however customs/immigration can take a while and there are only 1-2 security screeners on duty at a time. Boarding starts at least 30min before departure IME, so I´d say it´s doable IF you push your way to the front of the various queues / make sure you´re one of the first pax off the plane.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: AC*E
I just came back from there yesterday, having gone down on Saturday (mileage run). I thought about doing the down-and-back, but I'd never seen the place so I stayed the night. Get a seat near the front of the plane if possible, and customs & immigration clearance (you have to go through it) should be quick. Security is equally quick, and you shouldn't have a problem getting back on the plane. The only sticking point is that you can't print out your boarding pass ahead of time - you will have to go to the AC check-in counter and get it. You can, of course, check in ahead of time. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies.

Then clearing customs is something that I would need to factor in. I'd check in beforehand of course, but it's unfortunate that you can't print the BP ahead of time. OLCI is available out of BDA, but does that mean you cannot print the BP, except at the airport kiosk?

Cheers,

W.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC*E
Yup, that's exactly what it means. Mind you, I was on a full flight, showed up an hour and 15 minutes before departure, and there was no lineup at the check-in counter at all. The plane boarded a little late, and boarding takes a while for some reason. All in all, you should have time to do what you gotta do.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: Super Elite 100K
BDA Mileage Run

I looked at doing this mileage run from YUL, and no, you can't do same day as they claim it's an illegal connection - and this despite the fact it is exactly the same plane going back! Booked YUL-YYZ-LIM instead - good miles, no minimum requirements, and with the 50% bonus, it got even better!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by willflyforfood
I looked at doing this mileage run from YUL, and no, you can't do same day as they claim it's an illegal connection - and this despite the fact it is exactly the same plane going back!...
Yesterday AC942/943 was a 50 minute turn. Arrived 10 late departed on time "despite the fact it is exactly the same plane going back!".
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by willflyforfood
I looked at doing this mileage run from YUL, and no, you can't do same day as they claim it's an illegal connection - and this despite the fact it is exactly the same plane going back! Booked YUL-YYZ-LIM instead - good miles, no minimum requirements, and with the 50% bonus, it got even better!

Lies; 2 tickets :P

However that does run its own risk; if the flight is severly delayed or outright canceled, and they deploy another plane, or another plane operating another flight is around, you would miss your return.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by hearna

However that does run its own risk; if the flight is severly delayed or outright canceled, and they deploy another plane, or another plane operating another flight is around, you would miss your return.
Luckily there isn't anything around BDA so a plane won't just show up. This topic has come up before but I am unsure if the OP in that case ever flew this itin.

You would probably be able to do this 9 times out of 10 but what if this is that tenth time. If the inbound is late then they will turn the plane around as fast as possible in order to get it back in the air. The 1 hour turn is the maximum time that the plane will stay on the ground (barring extenuating circumstances).

You could also burn some e-upgrades on the way down so that you can get all the way to the front of the plane.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hearna

Yup, that is exactly what I had in mind

Originally Posted by SensFan
Luckily there isn't anything around BDA so a plane won't just show up. This topic has come up before but I am unsure if the OP in that case ever flew this itin.

You would probably be able to do this 9 times out of 10 but what if this is that tenth time. If the inbound is late then they will turn the plane around as fast as possible in order to get it back in the air. The 1 hour turn is the maximum time that the plane will stay on the ground (barring extenuating circumstances).

You could also burn some e-upgrades on the way down so that you can get all the way to the front of the plane.
I've never done it, and hadn't seen any recent experience, so, if I'm lucky, I make it the first attempt and just don't try it for the next nine times (and have 8 attempts to spare!). Well, maybe do it a second time

And I'd try an upgrade the flight.

The biggie is if the aircraft goes mechanical/snowed in/plague of locust, 942 gets scrubbed along with the return 943.At least it should be easier to get back home then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.