Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan points actually have negative value..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by rankourabu
They are not issuing it - you are just viewing the ticket receipt issued by Air Canada. The ticket number starts with 014.

My point was - that Air Canada charges $98 in tax - which you can clearly see on the United site when viewing the Air Canada issued ticket receipt.

For the same flights - if you were to issue the award as a United ticket - it would be $59.

So the only thing youve done is posted proof that Air Canada is indeed charging taxes they shouldnt be on award tickets.

As the ticketing carrier, Air Canada is responsible to pass on the government taxes collected - which should be $59 - yet they collected $98 from you... The scam is in where the money goes - as clearly it is not required by any government agencies (since other FFPs issue the same tickets without it.)
How do we know that Air Canada is overcharging rather than United undercharging? (I have no idea what's right, just throwing something out there.)
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by stifle
How do we know that Air Canada is overcharging rather than United undercharging? (I have no idea what's right, just throwing something out there.)
Because United is as stingy as it gets nickel'n'diming? Why would they be paying anything on your behalf?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks, sometimes I do know what I m talking about

Look for those WAW-KRK flights to sell for under $100 RT if there is a sale, otherwise, there is a train from WAW to Centralna Station now - so a train to downtown Krakow should take no more than 4 hours all in.

Its crazy that you would still have to pay $518, even if you took LX on the way back.

Enjoy the LO 787

btw, how do I become an Albertan, so I only have to pay $31.50 booking fee instead of $33.90
Did you try changing address on file yet?
(Not saying it works, but giving a suggestion. It could also be based off point of origin)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Maybe provide your destination and routing in a more detailed way. Where are you going and from where?
Well, I was looking for advice of a general nature to avoid Aeroplan's extremely high taxes and fees, but if a specific example would help, last year I was trying to help someone book a flight to Europe. Taxes and fees on a Toronto-Paris via London itinerary were in the $700 range - extremely high given that you can buy a flight for $800, and Aeroplan wants 60k for North America to Europe year-round, bad value compared to other carriers. Why would I spend 60k points (worth $1200 at 2 cents each) and pay an additional $700 for a flight I can buy for less than half that?

Was there some way to book this, perhaps with UA or other carriers, that would have resulted in lower fees?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil King
60k points (worth $1200 at 2 cents each)
Really?

You SE? Otherwise, more like 0.8 cents.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
And if you are SE, you should be able to do much better than that. My last two redemptions have yielded 4.3 cents per mile, inclusive of fees. On occasion, I have been able to do far better than that. On the other hand, I am one of the few here that doesnt fly to Europe on AC on reward tickets (where fees tend to be horrendous), and I am a little price insensitive in the sense that I would rather pay $200 or $300 in fees for a direct or 1 stop route than take 3 stops and route through the USA (which seems to be the choice of a lot of folks here).
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Phil King
Well, I was looking for advice of a general nature to avoid Aeroplan's extremely high taxes and fees, but if a specific example would help, last year I was trying to help someone book a flight to Europe. Taxes and fees on a Toronto-Paris via London itinerary were in the $700 range - extremely high given that you can buy a flight for $800, and Aeroplan wants 60k for North America to Europe year-round, bad value compared to other carriers. Why would I spend 60k points (worth $1200 at 2 cents each) and pay an additional $700 for a flight I can buy for less than half that?

Was there some way to book this, perhaps with UA or other carriers, that would have resulted in lower fees?
This thread as others are full of general ideas of how not to use the AC as it is the most expensive. Few pages back I my self posted the exact cost and itinerary for 2 options to get to Europe in April - June 2013. I found LOT to be the low cost on points, so fly to Paris via WAW.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
What business undercharges?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridefar
And if you are SE, you should be able to do much better than that. My last two redemptions have yielded 4.3 cents per mile, inclusive of fees. On occasion, I have been able to do far better than that. On the other hand, I am one of the few here that doesnt fly to Europe on AC on reward tickets (where fees tend to be horrendous), and I am a little price insensitive in the sense that I would rather pay $200 or $300 in fees for a direct or 1 stop route than take 3 stops and route through the USA (which seems to be the choice of a lot of folks here).
You could have routed via Mexico, Mexico in the past when LH was scam charge free. You still can on OW and ST
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
You could have routed via Mexico, Mexico in the past when LH was scam charge free. You still can on OW and ST
ah, another wonderful "i might have read it somewhere, but dont quite know what it was, but I'll post pad anyway" post. There is as much YQ out of Mexico as there is out of USA/Canada, and this thread is not about YQ, its about how redeeming awards in coach can actually have a negative value.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah, another wonderful "i might have read it somewhere, but dont quite know what it was, but I'll post pad anyway" post. There is as much YQ out of Mexico as there is out of USA/Canada, and this thread is not about YQ, its about how redeeming awards in coach can actually have a negative value.
I DID say in the past.
In the past AC still had scamcharges
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I DID say in the past.
In the past AC still had scamcharges
So what?
In the past there as no need to route via Mexico, or jump thru hoops and pick and choose carriers not to pay them - simply avoid AC metal.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:52 am

I have found a new name for these worthless points! We must call them AeroPain Crumbs (pun intended)! We need to rebrand AeroPesos.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
I have found a new name for these worthless points! We must call them AeroPain Crumbs (pun intended)! We need to rebrand AeroPesos.
I like AeroCrumbs - pesos are so Delta
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
I like AeroCrumbs - pesos are so Delta
It is quickly becoming AeroDongs (1 CAD = 20,967 Vietnam Dong)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.