FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Flights more expensive on the AC app than on line! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1406491-flights-more-expensive-ac-app-than-line.html)

margarita girl Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am

Flights more expensive on the AC app than on line!

Just booked a YYZ-CUN-YYZ flight using the iPad app for Jan using a 15% discount code. I used the app because of the 500 bonus AE miles. (Yeah, I know. :rolleyes:)

It looks like the app doesn't take the full 15% off. The total cost for my flights was $555.31, but if I had booked online, it would have cost me $547.31. So I paid an $8 scam charge for a lousy 500 aeropennies.

I will be complaining to AC, but buyer beware!

margarita girl Nov 12, 2012 1:33 pm

I figured out that the prices on the app were $274 and $204 for my flights, while they were $269 and $199 respectively online.

A new low for AC with their nickel and diming.

KenHamer Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How else will they pay for smartphone app development?

rankourabu Nov 12, 2012 1:52 pm

I m sure its just collected on behalf of the developer by Air Canada -
because the developer asked them to due to increasing costs of fu... err development.

:cool:

margarita girl Nov 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Well they are wasting their money.

The AC app is nothing more than a glorified calendar full of corrupted data (duplicate reservations with jumbled PNRs).

OTOH, the UA app is fantastic. You can actually see where you are on the upgrade waitlist so there are no false expectations.

rankourabu Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 19670616)

OTOH, the UA app is fantastic. You can actually see where you are on the upgrade waitlist so there are no false expectations.

Facts are not allowed in this forum I learned.

No way anything UA can be better than AC.

ylwae Nov 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 19670616)

I don't fly UA all that much, but I still have the app for when I do. And yes, it's a nice one.

BCABSkier Nov 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I have used the app on my iphone a few times now. Have found price differences going both ways, and managed to grab some cheaper fares on the app, with bonus miles which have appeared in my account. No bungled reservations, either :) My biggest complaints are that you can't see seat availability before booking on the app, and also can only book a one-way or return flight but nothing multi-city (which matters price-wise if flying internationally). Otherwise, happy, but buyer beware and check both sources for price!

yerffej201 Nov 12, 2012 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 19669133)
Just booked a YYZ-CUN-YYZ flight using the iPad app for Jan using a 15% discount code. I used the app because of the 500 bonus AE miles. (Yeah, I know. :rolleyes:)

It looks like the app doesn't take the full 15% off. The total cost for my flights was $555.31, but if I had booked online, it would have cost me $547.31. So I paid an $8 scam charge for a lousy 500 aeropennies.

I will be complaining to AC, but buyer beware!

Isn't that like the orbitz thing where mac user were charged more?
I know with grocery shopping, price differences are illegal. Not with flight prices? (I know it isn't the best parallel, but close enough)

global happy traveller Nov 12, 2012 10:26 pm

YQ = Carrier Convenience Charge :p

capebretonboy Nov 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 19670452)
I figured out that the prices on the app were $274 and $204 for my flights, while they were $269 and $199 respectively online.

A new low for AC with their nickel and diming.

I noticed this one time when simply shopping for fares on my iPhone. I found it was harder to find the cheapest fare. In addition, not as many different flight options (and corresponding fares) were displayed. This was my first and last time using the iPhone to shop and book...I like the variety and clarity of the website.

Dorian Nov 13, 2012 12:51 am

Originally Posted by KenHamer (Post 19670532)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How else will they pay for smartphone app development?

What 'development'?

margarita girl Nov 13, 2012 4:03 am

Can it get worse?

Oh yes! Tried to cancel the flight I booked last night on the app and cannot cancel on the app or online. I'm in ZRH using my iPad and don't have Skype loaded, so had to email a friend in Cda to call in and cancel my reservation. :rolleyes:

AC you are so hopeless.

vroom Nov 13, 2012 6:59 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 19673147)
Isn't that like the orbitz thing where mac user were charged more?

I don't think Orbitz was charging Mac users more for the same hotels; they were just listing higher-priced hotels at the top of their lists on a Mac than on a PC. Nothing illegal about that; in fact, it's using whatever minimal demographic information you have about the customer to target what they may be more likely to be interested in.

CloudsBelow Nov 13, 2012 7:18 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 19674064)
Oh yes! Tried to cancel the flight I booked last night on the app and cannot cancel on the app or online. I'm in ZRH using my iPad and don't have Skype loaded, so had to email a friend in Cda to call in and cancel my reservation. :rolleyes:

AC you are so hopeless.

Thankfully 1-2 airlines besides AC fly YYZCUN daily. No need to deal with this, right?