Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waiving baggage fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Waiving baggage fees

In March, a group of us will be going to Guatemala on a volunteer vacation. The practice has been to take donated goods down with us, using what has been the limit of 2 suitcases, with a maximum of 50 pounds each. We will be taking Air Canada, and transferring in Mexico City to LACSA to complete the trip.

Now, the baggage rules have changed, and the second bag is $20 each way for each member. Does anyone have any experience is requesting a waiver of this charge, and if so who to contact? The group is a registered charity, and no personal items would be in the baggage.

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Find out how many members has *G/AC*50/AC*75/AC*SE status would be a good start...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, no one has any status whatsoever.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC*E75K, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold
Start off by trying Air Canada reservations.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet
If you haul butt, you can request sponsorship through the AC website.. on the form just make it clear you're only looking for baggage fee's to be waived.. and cross your fingers.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC Elite, Marriot Silver
Good that you started early.

I have had some success using this online form (see below). They ask for a lot of information. No guarantees. Also, this request is only good for AC flight segments. The form is primarily geared towards fundraising, but use it anyway.

You can try this:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/co...ion/index.html

Click on the "all requests for support must be submitted online"

In the text portion include the following details:

- passenger name(s)
- reservation number
- date of travel
- routing
- exact content
- number of extra bags
- charity providing support and well as the one receiving the support

Best of luck,

Azreal
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:23 pm

If you have 1 ticket to go all the way, the charge is zero for the first suitcase is $70 for the second suitcase. If you have two separate tickets, the charge is, as you said, $20 for the second suitcase.

Take old suitcases or boxes you can leave in Guatemala. That way you would not have to bring them back.

I'll send you a private message with another idea.
Old May 10, 2013, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Kudos to Air Canada

This is a follow up to my question about waiving baggage fees. As Azreal suggested, there is a part of Air Canada which deals with charitable matters of various kinds. I followed the suggestion, and filled out the rather involved form as best I could, as the questions asked didn't really fit our circumstances.

What it did do was get me in touch with an actual person, and after a minimum of emails back and forth, we did get a waiver of the baggage fees, which meant that we could take down our two 50 pound suitcases each without charge. this worked with both Air Canada and TACA.

Thanks to both Azreal for pointing me in the right direction, and to Air Canada for doing a nice thing when they really didn't have to. Other members of our group flew on Delta tickets, and in spite of a lot of time spent filling out forms and emailing back and forth, they wouldn't waive the fees, apparently because the initial leg was on an Alaska codeshare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.