Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Some updates about changes on aircanada.com this week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some updates about changes on aircanada.com this week

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I was hoping that these changes might actually help me, but I don't think they will. My company travel policy allows me to fly in J on international flights and in Y in North America. I'm a little over 80,000 miles and will easily exceed 100,000 to get to SE by the end of the year. I use the points I earn for leisure travel and the eupgrades I earn to upgrade the North American flights. Hypothetically, there should be more eupgrades available as AC's enhancements filter out participants in the program and I am probably the type of person they want to attract since the majority of my spend is in J on international flights. However, I am not sure if the fare class I will be allowed to purchase under our travel policy will still be upgradable under the enhancements. If it is not, there will be no reason for me to remain with AC and and AE and I will have to move on to a program that will allow upgrades on North American flights (and probably suck it up on Canadian flights or fly YYZ-ORD-YVR)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I've been on FT from the very beginning, and in that decade and a half I've never seen this forum so uniformly aligned. Ever.
I would disagree with that. When eUpgrades first came out and long hauls were 20 credits, rather than the 17 now the feeling is about the same.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Rebooking to T+

For those of you who are still waiting for AC to automatically rebook you from T, L or K to S, don't bother waiting. Call AC and get it changed instantly. They have a standing procedure on how to do this. If the agent says you have to wait for the system to do it, hang up and call again.

(I was T-4 yesterday, no rebooking done automatically. Called AC but said I have to wait. This morning checked again, still no rebooking made. Called AC again and she changed it immediately, requested e-upgrade and confirmed, seat 11A).
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I was hoping that these changes might actually help me, but I don't think they will. My company travel policy allows me to fly in J on international flights and in Y in North America. I'm a little over 80,000 miles and will easily exceed 100,000 to get to SE by the end of the year. I use the points I earn for leisure travel and the eupgrades I earn to upgrade the North American flights. Hypothetically, there should be more eupgrades available as AC's enhancements filter out participants in the program and I am probably the type of person they want to attract since the majority of my spend is in J on international flights. However, I am not sure if the fare class I will be allowed to purchase under our travel policy will still be upgradable under the enhancements. If it is not, there will be no reason for me to remain with AC and and AE and I will have to move on to a program that will allow upgrades on North American flights (and probably suck it up on Canadian flights or fly YYZ-ORD-YVR)
Don't be silly. Policy change was to free up J seats for employee travel.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by sllee
For those of you who are still waiting for AC to automatically rebook you from T, L or K to S, don't bother waiting. Call AC and get it changed instantly. They have a standing procedure on how to do this. If the agent says you have to wait for the system to do it, hang up and call again.
I'd like to know how this will be handled on non-AC plated tickets.
I am still showing Tango,K on TATL for a non-AC ticket.

Can they change the class, and reissue another airline's (not star alliance) ticket?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
All week we have heard from a lot of disappointed or simply pissed off people in which some have posted new bookings on other carriers. Of all of the customers out there, how much revenue did AC loose (if any) in the big picture? The group here although informed and important, only represents a fraction of AC customers.

Have travel agents, Amex travel, booking companies taken notice and alternatives were found or does this really affect the very pro active group here?
FTers matter because we are "super users". Within a corporation or organization or social circle, we tend to be known as the ones who know how the most about commercial aviation and how to get the most benefits from loyalty programs etc. And colleagues/friends can rely on FTers to do a lot of that research for them, and take our advice in making travel decisions. This is why AC TT takes the time to address FT directly. We all spend a decent amount on AC, but our collective sphere of influence amounts to real dollars.

Last edited by ACB777; Oct 20, 2012 at 9:02 am
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: AC*SE100K
From a revenue point of view Air Canada Top Tier should know I just booked 3 flights. All of them are 100% on United metal. I didn't really want to do that. But as I apparently won't be able to count on upgrades on AC metal anyway I might as well save some cash and ensure I get 100% status miles.

Even this year I am 1/6 on upgrades (mainly TPAC) so I can only imagine what it will be like next year...

I didn't mind the 50k/75k introduction but these last changes go too far.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I've been on FT from the very beginning, and in that decade and a half I've never seen this forum so uniformly aligned. Ever.
You could be writing lyrics to a current song on the radio and replace part of it with AC?

" ever, ever ever......"
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canopus27
@Air Canada Top Tier:

I appreciate the update; communication goes a long way.

That said, I remain sad & disappointed about the elimination of upgrades & 100% status miles on your lowest fares (I refuse to call it the introduction of anything ... it was the elimination of a long standing benefit, that only targets your top tier customers).

Right now I'm sitting at 125K status miles for this year - but this has been an exceptionally busy travel year for me ... a more normal yearly total would be 70-80k. Prior to this week, that meant I could reliably reach Elite every year (in fact, the introduction of E75K was good for me) and SE was within reach for busy years (like this year).

My company requires that I use the lowest available fare, but I am certainly very loyal to AC. I direct as many of my travel dollars as I can to AC, and in return AC gives me a top tier status that eases the burden of travel. It works out well. I was happy, and I thought I was the sort of customer you appreciated.

With the elimination of guaranteed 100% status miles, I'm now facing an uncertain future. With a typical yearly mileage of 75k, I am suddenly dependent on how many of my flights end up in Tango. If too many do (and I have no control over that), then I won't even make *G. It's not a fun prospect to realize that next year, even flying 75K may leave me completely out of the star alliance top tier.

I don't want to leave AC. I like your product, I appreciate the convenience, and I have a lot of history with AC ... but if I can't be confident that flying 75K+ per year is enough to reach *G, then I'd be a fool not to consider switching to almost any of your competitors (for whom 50K is sufficient to be in the top tier).

I remain surprised that you've decided to target your top tier flyers (because that's really the only group who are impacted here), and I'm saddened that I have to even contemplate leaving my airline of choice ... but that's where I find myself standing.
While I sympathize with you 100%, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that we're all preaching to the choir here. As I postulated here, I think AC is well aware that this change will result in fewer top tier members, due to both the reduction in status miles awarded AND current members taking their business elsewhere. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is the outcome AC desires. After some cost-benefit analysis, they've concluded that providing top tier benefits to status members costs more than the incremental business their loyalty brings in. Of course, the second part of that equation is very difficult to quantify accurately, so it may very well turn out that AC is making a big mistake. But for now at least, I think management is quite aware (and happy) that many of us are leaving or thinking about leaving. They just can't come out and say that because it would sound terrible from a PR perspective.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by margarita girl
+1!

It wa sickening to watch the AC employees take over the J cabin and quite a bit of space in overhead bins. Now they will have even more space.

What a way to go AC. I am happy that I will not have to see that anymore.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:49 am

AC is most definitely "thinning the herd"

It would be interesting to see what the target group/groups are, get rid and keep groups. It would interesting to see the thinking and numbers.

This year and especially since the posted Latitude program it's not clear at all.

Must be a master plan but roll out is very erratic, could damage AC pretty badly. It's clear they still have more to come but without full package some/ a lot of people are going to react instead of wait.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Originally Posted by AC888
...I think AC is well aware that this change will result in fewer top tier members, due to both the reduction in status miles awarded AND current members taking their business elsewhere. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this is the outcome AC desires.
If that were the case, why would they start a 50% Bonus Mile Promotion?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Originally Posted by ACB777
FTers matter because we are "super users". Within a corporation or organization or social circle, we tend to be known as the ones who know how the most about commercial aviation and how to get the most benefits from loyalty programs etc. And colleagues/friends can rely on FTers to do a lot of that research for them, and take our advice in making travel decisions. This is why AC TT takes the time to address FT directly. We all spend a decent amount on AC, but our collective sphere of influence amounts to real dollars.
Yes, quite correct.
Our company has a policy of the lowest fare, even if it means travelling on Air Transat to Paris.
When I mentioned the latest enhancements to our General Manager and Director of Operations, they were stunned - both of them still proudly display the 2012 AE Elite card on their carry on luggage. It is unlikely that they will be displaying it with the same pride next year.

They asked me what to do, mentioning also saving $$$. My response: Fly Westjet between Montreal and Calgary (that is what we do all the time). It is not only cheaper (usually), but also very pleasant and with no Aerolotto deception and staff taking over all the 'premium' seats. Actually, WJ staff sits in the LAST rows, deplanes last and often help in tidying up the cabin. Bravo to them ^
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by antirealist
If that were the case, why would they start a 50% Bonus Mile Promotion?
I asked that very question myself...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Silly me! I should have seen that. Today I am on VIA from Montreal to
Toronto. Free wifi and can walk to. Union Station. When are we going to get a high speed rail network!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.