Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Examples of Status not recognized with an Aeroplan ticket on transborder AC flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Examples of Status not recognized with an Aeroplan ticket on transborder AC flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

A few months ago, my wife went from Ottawa and La Guardia (NYC) and back, on a award ticket (from Aeroplan miles booked through my account). She is an E member of Aeroplan. No problems check-in in Ottawa. At LGA, she showed them her E card; it did not help and she was charged the fee for her one bag (that one I am fighting).

Last Sunday, she came back from PHX to YOW, via YYZ. The outcome was somewhat better. Initially, the were going to charge her for the baggage fee (she again wanted to check in one bag) - but eventually accepted she was E. However, it took the check-in agent almost 30 minutes to work around the computer which stated she had no status, and therefore was not entitled to upto 3 free bags, even on transborder flights.

Of note, having learned from the first experience, I asked the SE Aeroplan agent for the second award to enter her E status in the file (ie pnr). That was not entered in the first file. On both occasions, she had her E card with her, and showed it to the check-in agents.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Have had this happen several times. I try now to manually enter AE # at OLCI and usually get that option--it usually works.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Like the OP, I've had occasional problems for years because of this. Does anyone know why reward tickets don't get the AP number included on them?

I originally thought it was to prevent additional mileage accumulation on a reward ticket - but if it's possible to have different accumulation rules for tango fare classes, then it should be possible for reward classes (X & I) ... even for AC's creaking IT system.

What is the motivation for keeping the AP number off the PNR?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canopus27
Like the OP, I've had occasional problems for years because of this. Does anyone know why reward tickets don't get the AP number included on them?

I originally thought it was to prevent additional mileage accumulation on a reward ticket - but if it's possible to have different accumulation rules for tango fare classes, then it should be possible for reward classes (X & I) ... even for AC's creaking IT system.

I believe they are trying to prevent the system from allowing mileage accrual on the ticket, even though its not supposed to. The biggest risk of this happening, IME, is during irrops, when flight changes made can be easily booked into a revenue class. I know this happens on UA often (both pre- and post-merger), as this is usually the easiest and/or fastest way to rebook.

I have had this problem on several occasions when flying on awards from either my father or my AP account on AC, both non-status, where my *G status (from UA) will not show, and cannot be added. I've tried calling Aeroplan, AC reservations, having it added at the airport, etc. and I've never been able to get it to work. I've been lucky to not have needed it (yet).
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Flying out of UA operated contract ports where they do miniscule effort on behalf of AC, I never have the *G on the BP despite showing my AC SE card with *G on it. When I go and use the UA/CO lounges it takes a bit longer because they have to confirm my status.

I rarely check luggage no matter where I go and for however long, so I have yet to experience the hassle of the extra baggage fee.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:18 am
Suspended

I have had the opposite happen...booking my son on my SE points he is showing up as SE and Gold when travelling. Maybe because he has the same initial as me...
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
My son has his father's name. Once when traveling on an IKK ticket from his dad, he got his first choice for breakfast, I got second (I was sitting next to him but only an E) and my dh, the real SE but farther back in J, had to settle because his first choice was gone by the time they got to him!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by canopus27

AE numbers should be on your award ticket/PNR if you booked the flight/ticket for yourself. This is true for AC flights and STAR partner flights (I always have the *G or similar notation on my LH, TG, etc. award tickets). However, if you are using someone else's AE miles/account, then the number must be added manually when reviewing the finished booking or at OLCI. There is no way for the system to link a person's AE account with just the name (unless an AE field were built into the award booking screen).

Years ago there was no AE status indication on award tickets, but this changed so we'd get our elite benefits when traveling on awards (SE first meal choice, checked baggage allowance, priority boarding, etc.).

AC's "creaking IT system" has been upgraded to distinguish between award and non-award category fares even within the same fare class (e.g. AIR MILES tickets). In fact, I have actually been on AM tickets and as an SE received an opup, though didn't earn any mileage for those flights.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:31 am

I just did OLCI for a YYZ to LAX flight. On the baggage screen it said I was entitled to 0 free bagages even though I'm E. Thy wanted to charge me for all my luggage.

AC*E is on my boarding pass though, but OLCI not recognize I'm E?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I also have problems as an *SE out of YYZ and Canadian airports when checking bags on Aeroplan tickets. Agents/Concierges have told me that the "override" for no-bag fee as a SE no longer exists, suggesting that it's a "system bug" that IT doesn't have that as an option. Of course, out of a UA-handled airport, one benefit of their system is that they see my SE card, they give me 3 free bags

It's a *A-wide benefit that *G get free bags everywhere, so I don't think it's a sign of things to come... But I wonder why that option for free bags doesn't exist in the system.

In addition, it's hit or miss whether my *SE shows up on my boarding pass.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC SE
If I, as a SE, get a reward ticket for someone with no status will they be charged for checked bags?

Last edited by jmolony; Nov 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jmolony
If I, as a SE, get a reward ticket fore someone with no status will they be cgarged for checked bags?
Yes, such benefits are per the passenger traveling, not per the "payor".
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold
???? reward flight have your AE on file

Reward flight from YUL to EWR canceled...

moved to YUL to LGA...

Got an upgrade in business !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.