Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Interesting irrops - AC 724 on 10/4

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting irrops - AC 724 on 10/4

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Here's the situation:

AC 724 landed at LGA 8 minutes late, no big deal after a short delay in boarding.

I'm on the plane now and still waiting for a gate to open up. 2 gates available, as one is broken. Since there was wx at LGA, a few AC planes are waiting on the ground.

To recover from this, why doesn't AC use any available gate in the concourse?

Is it beneficial to keep the plane on APU on the tarmac, further delaying pax and crew, than try to finagle another gate?

As a note, electronics and lav use allowed, but no offer of water (I presume one would get some if he asks).

Last edited by gsforfree; Oct 5, 2012 at 6:49 am
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:56 pm

Gates at LGA unfortunately are not common use. Gate A6 is undergoing some ramp construction right now, which means some operational challenges at LGA right now. Unfortunately, AC is at the mercy of the Port Authority for projects like these. Should be done very soon. ^
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I find posts like this quite odd.

If AC or any airline had an option to use a different gate to avoid a delay they obviously would.

Waste of text.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
Ground crew availability is often an issue. If they've had IROPS (maybe even a red alert due to lightning -- you said there was WX issues at LGA) then everything gets messed up... on-time arrivals pull up to find their ground crew isn't there, because they are occupied elsewhere catching up.

Even if you had heaps of open AC-compatible gates, without a ground crew you can't pull in and get hooked up to ground power. With the cost of fuel I'm confident nobody at AC wants APU's running for the hell of it.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ac-YUL
Gates at LGA unfortunately are not common use. Gate A6 is undergoing some ramp construction right now, which means some operational challenges at LGA right now. Unfortunately, AC is at the mercy of the Port Authority for projects like these. Should be done very soon. ^
Thanks for the info, didn't know that. Does that mean that AC cannot use a B6 gate, for example, or there would have to be some sort of compensation between AC and B6?

Originally Posted by Souvlaki
Ground crew availability is often an issue. If they've had IROPS (maybe even a red alert due to lightning -- you said there was WX issues at LGA) then everything gets messed up... on-time arrivals pull up to find their ground crew isn't there, because they are occupied elsewhere catching up.

Even if you had heaps of open AC-compatible gates, without a ground crew you can't pull in and get hooked up to ground power. With the cost of fuel I'm confident nobody at AC wants APU's running for the hell of it.
That might have been the case earlier in the day, but it was clear when I landed.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by gsforfree
That might have been the case earlier in the day, but it was clear when I landed.
It can take hours to recover from a weather interruption in a busy airport, same way that if you have a wreck on the 401 it takes hours for the backup to clear after the wreck is cleaned up.

And even though it was clear when you landed, if there was lightning in the area even 30 minutes before you arrived the ground crews are required to seek shelter and this cause a backup.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by gsforfree
Thanks for the info, didn't know that. Does that mean that AC cannot use a B6 gate, for example, or there would have to be some sort of compensation between AC and B6?
Gates at most US airports are not common-use; in this case, the computers, printers etc belong to the airline, not the airport, and are often incompatible with each other. And yes, if by chance B6 could provide a gate to AC, AC would have to pay for the use. But from my observations at LGA, B6's gates seemed to be very well utilized, so not sure they would be able to help anyhow.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
This isn't IRROPs - this is a normal day at LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.