Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan is Heaven Compared to Air Miles Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

I haven't been following the changes to the Air Miles program too closely lately, but from what I can gather by reading info here and on other various websites, they've recently introduced three things to significantly mess up my reward redemption:

1. They've taken away gift cards that I used to love to redeem my points for (like Starbucks and Chapters). I guess this happened last year sometime. Reason: they are not partners. So - why not replace with more gift cards for partners? Didn't see any new ones when they took away the old ones.

2. They've introduced the 'Cash' redemption, where 95 points = $1.00 in cash. As a result, they've had to 'up' the redemption level for the gift cards they have left to match these redemption level, so you're not getting a better 'deal' out of redeeming for gift cards. So - where I used to get a $50 gift card for 385-ish points, I know need to spend 475-ish points. Holy crap!

3. Air miles now expire. That's a real downer, considering it takes most people FOREVER to save up enough to buy anything, because the program blows so badly.

So...what's left. Flights! I've never been too jazzed about redeeming flights on Air Miles, mostly because of the high/low season thing. I typically fly during high season and flight redemption amounts were always waaay too high. I also didn't like the idea of redeeming because they are not cancellable (so tack on another $40-$100+ for trip cancellation insurance for health/emergencies, but still running the risk of losing miles for cancelling for a personal reason).

I have 1695 miles in my account right now. This took a looong time to accumulate - maybe close to two years. And I get lots of bonus points at Safeway! At any rate, I went online to see what kind of flight I could get for these points. I was thinking of a long weekend trip from YVR-PHX in Jan or Feb (low season) and most Thu-Mon flights I looked up were unavailable. I did find a few Wed-Wed flights (which doesn't work for me, but I thought I'd check the redemption amount and fees). Redemption was 1,600 miles (gulp), taxes/fees were $219 (whaaa?) and the flight is not cancellable, so it would be about $40 or so to cover if for emergencies. So - $260 to redeem 1600 points to fly to Phoenix. Are you kidding me? I can fly to Phoenix via Allegant for $300 including taxes for the same dates (PLUS I can change this flight for a nominal fee). Also, that 1600 in points is valued at $170 in air miles cash (which is a horrible deal in the first place, but practically worth the same value of the flight - which is supposed to be the GOOD deal!). Yeesh...

Okay, so I guess short haul flights are not the best value for Air Miles redemption. Same holds true for my Aeroplan redemption (I usually redeem for flights out East and/or Business class - more bang for the points). So, maybe I hang on to them for a while so I can redeem for a flight out East? Or maybe I shouldn't even bother?

Even with all of my frustrations with Aeroplan, I feel like I get good value out of those points. I don't mind booking months in advance, because I get the flights I want, and I can cancel if my plans change. Sure, it costs a hefty $90+tax, but it hardly ever happens and the piece of mind that I have that option sits very well with me.

Another thing that picks me about Air Miles is they really have rotten new card sign-up promotions. 500 air miles to sign up for a $99/year gold mastercard? Really? That can't even get me a third of the way to Phoenix in the LOW SEASON! Most Aeroplan sign-up bonuses get you a short haul flight + only cost about $100 in taxes (not the $219 in taxes that would get me to Phoenix with 3 times the sign-up air miles) and you can use it anytime!

Man, I could go on and on about what a sh*tty program Air Miles is. I know I've seen some people get some good deals out of their miles, and have some really successful trips, but I for one, can't see how this will EVER work for me and I think it's time to just dump it all together...one less card to carry in my wallet...

Last edited by pokee; Oct 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Each Air Miles point has a lot lower "value" than each Aeroplan mile.

I think for AM air tickets you can also collect airline miles, e.g. AP miles, when you fly.

I am happy with RBC Avion VISA card miles. I recently "purchased" an AC J YVR-HKG return for approx. 295,000 points. I then get 1.5X AP miles flying AC metal.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:37 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Your description of AirMiles makes seem like it is more similar to Aeroplan than different.

Did you include the fuel surcharge on that hypothetical short-haul ticket? (Which you are comparing to taxes on a non-short-haul transborder flight.)
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Spot planes

I think for AM air tickets you can also collect airline miles, e.g. AP miles, when you fly.

I am happy with RBC Avion VISA card miles. I recently "purchased" an AC J YVR-HKG return for approx. 295,000 points. I then get 1.5X AP miles flying AC metal.
Huh?

1600 AirMiles will get you the same flights as 25000 Aeroplan point.

485 AirMiles will get you the same $50 g/c that ~5000 Aeroplan points will.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Yes, AM is not a very good program. But it's a different program. This summer there was the promotion where you get the BMO gold master card with fee waived and 1000 bonus miles. Free is good.

There are many stores where you can shop and collect AM. It's free to join, so when buying at LCBO, Goodyear, Metro, Rexall, etc., I make sure I collect those AM. (Don't gas up at Shell anymore, being gassing up at Costco and then Esso)

So AM is a crappy program, but it's free. Collect the points, and get the free stuff once a while. Plus, I can try to redeem points for Westjet flights, if AE does not have flights available. I might just be doing that soon, because AE flights are not available for me to redeem for YYC-YYZ in late Nov.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:42 pm

I have a buddy who uses Air Miles for flights, we compared last our last reward tickets (YEG-LHR ) my total was about $80 less then his.

He flew last Sept the reward flight for me was last June, so could be a charges going up.

But point is Air Miles charges same sort of scam charges as Aeroplan
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Spot planes

I would have used those 295,000 for 442500 BA miles and the booked a partner award on AA or CX. Alternatively you could have transferred them directly into CX or a number of other programs (AA?)
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:45 pm

no premium class redemption on am.

-the end!-
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by yerffej201

-the end!-
Sorta like Aeroplan for a lot of people.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yscleo
Yes, AM is not a very good program. But it's a different program. This summer there was the promotion where you get the BMO gold master card with fee waived and 1000 bonus miles. Free is good.

There are many stores where you can shop and collect AM. It's free to join, so when buying at LCBO, Goodyear, Metro, Rexall, etc., I make sure I collect those AM. (Don't gas up at Shell anymore, being gassing up at Costco and then Esso)

So AM is a crappy program, but it's free. Collect the points, and get the free stuff once a while. Plus, I can try to redeem points for Westjet flights, if AE does not have flights available. I might just be doing that soon, because AE flights are not available for me to redeem for YYC-YYZ in late Nov.
Yeah, I do admit that no fee would have been good for the 1000 points. But the 1000 points still wouldn't have gotten me anywhere...

What you suggest is what I've been doing (free program to collect free stuff every once in a while). I guess I just want to stick it to them because they've made a moderately decent merchandise-reward program a crappy program recently - and that is really a bad thing to do to loyal collectors.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

-the end!-
Agreed. 8/10 of my Aeroplan redemptions have been Business class! And worth every single aeroplan!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by KenHamer

I would have used those 295,000 for 442500 BA miles and the booked a partner award on AA or CX. Alternatively you could have transferred them directly into CX or a number of other programs (AA?)
I could have done that if I can plan in advance. But that AC flight was a last minute thing.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xLuther
I have a buddy who uses Air Miles for flights, we compared last our last reward tickets (YEG-LHR ) my total was about $80 less then his.

He flew last Sept the reward flight for me was last June, so could be a charges going up.

But point is Air Miles charges same sort of scam charges as Aeroplan
...and more so. $219 for taxes on a flight redemption is unheard of!!! The most I've paid on a round trip flight on Aeroplan for the continental USA is just over $100.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond

-the end!-
I don't redeem for premium tickets. I go for the cheap seats that can get me from point A to B. A lot of people are like that, not buying or redeeming for J, or live a luxurious lifestyle.

Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, I do admit that no fee would have been good for the 1000 points. But the 1000 points still wouldn't have gotten me anywhere...

What you suggest is what I've been doing (free program to collect free stuff every once in a while). I guess I just want to stick it to them because they've made a moderately decent merchandise-reward program a crappy program recently - and that is really a bad thing to do to loyal collectors.
Yap, AM was a crappy program that is getting crappier. But AE also kept devalueing their program too and add scamcharges.

1000 AM won't get to fly much, but can still get a few dollars in redemption. So I would never mind getting 1000 free AMs.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Wow. Misplaced by airmiles card a while back and been using a temporary one. Called to try and merge the two and was told I had not used my original card since end of 2010 and the account was put into dormant status end of 2011.

Had about 2600 air miles in the dorment account and they want (corrected rate) 15 cents per mile plus hst to reactivated. Highway robbery.

Last edited by Snoopyo; Oct 4, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.