Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YYZ-SAN via a fuel burn and Lake Superior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:49 pm
B1
Original Poster

On Dec 31 AC 777 (Toronto-San Diego, A319)- taxied to the takeoff runway and sat with engines running for over 30 minutes. Flight deck announced we were too heavy and was burning excess fuel. How is this problem determined and how can the weight be known with no scale? Also, I followed the IFE map. We headed NNW to Sault Ste Marie then west to Montana before turning southwest. Seems like a very strange route - was the jetstream running in reverse? We were only a half an hour late for all the strangeness.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:59 pm

pilots have to calculate how much fuel they are carrying...... i believe the volume is converted into weight (by a formula).

as for routing, anything can happen. Sault Ste Marie is not that far off Toronto (by flight).
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:25 pm

I believe that Jet A weighs something like ~6.8 lbs/gallon (I really liked playing FSX when I had a Windows machine, and FSX worked it out to something like that). I also believe that they have standard weights for passengers (assume each passenger is X pounds, with Y pounds of baggage).

As for routing, aren't you trying to avoid the jet stream when flying westbound? The jet stream flows west to easy, so when flying to SAN, the jet stream would give you a headwind and slow you down. That might explain the strange route.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
I believe that Jet A weighs something like ~6.8 lbs/gallon (I really liked playing FSX when I had a Windows machine, and FSX worked it out to something like that). I also believe that they have standard weights for passengers (assume each passenger is X pounds, with Y pounds of baggage).

As for routing, aren't you trying to avoid the jet stream when flying westbound? The jet stream flows west to easy, so when flying to SAN, the jet stream would give you a headwind and slow you down. That might explain the strange route.
your another FSX player eh..... the 777 mod with GE90 is great!
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:43 pm

lots of the westbound transcons (like BOS-SEA, JFK-LAX) have been operating routings that are more northern over the past week... to avoid strong jet streams. Today, the extremely powerful jet stream seems to be located just south of Toronto, where eastbound aircraft are cruising as high as 800mph and westbound at about half that speed, or less.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
your another FSX player eh..... the 777 mod with GE90 is great!
ex-FSX unfortunately. Moved from Windows to Mac, and I didn't want to run Bootcamp/Parallels solely for FSX. I will agree... That 777 was really nice though.

I am contemplating getting X-Plane, however.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hydrogen
I am contemplating getting X-Plane, however.
X-Plane is awesome ^ You can use iPads as second views, etc. Highly recommended!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:03 am

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
Originally Posted by B1
On Dec 31 AC 777 (Toronto-San Diego, A319)- taxied to the takeoff runway and sat with engines running for over 30 minutes. Flight deck announced we were too heavy and was burning excess fuel. How is this problem determined and how can the weight be known with no scale? Also, I followed the IFE map. We headed NNW to Sault Ste Marie then west to Montana before turning southwest. Seems like a very strange route - was the jetstream running in reverse? We were only a half an hour late for all the strangeness.
With apologies in advance to any pilots here or others who might know what they are talking about

Fuel load (volume to mass), anticipated fuel burn and mass of aircraft (metal, pax, their baggage and freight etc) I believe are part of that last minute flurry of paperwork you see passing between the ground crew and flight deck.

The weight can change around with last minute heavy-ish freight being loaded or unloaded, or maybe a bunch of pax and their baggage not making the flight or being boarded at the last minute (missed another connection).

Seems in the OP's case too much fuel was taken on with the final overall weight configuration, so rather than pumping it out (maybe the gate needed to be freed up) they burned it off.

Your fuel surcharges at work.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by B1
There could be a few reasons why it was was necessary to sit at the end of the runway to burn off fuel, but I will give you one possible scenario.

Normally, an Airbus A319 will burn 200kgs of fuel to taxi from the terminal to the end of the runway. If de-icing is anticipated, Air Canada dispatch will tell the fuel company to board extra fuel to accommodate the delays in the de-icing pad. I have seen upwards of an extra 800 kgs of fuel added to account for the de-icing delays. In Toronto, as at most stations, de-icing is done with the engines running. If you sit in the de-icing bay for an extended period you are burning fuel. Sometimes de-icing is not required, yet extra fuel has been boarded for it. On most flights it is not a problem. The aircraft are still well below their maximum take-off weight, therefore the extra fuel just gets carried to destination. However, on your flight (YYZ-SAN) I would guess that the aircraft was very close to it's maximum take-off weight without the extra fuel. Because the extra fuel had not been used for de-icing all (or a portion) of it had to be burned off prior to take-off.

There could be other reasons, but I would guess that the one I have mentioned is the most likely.

Also, I had a look at the jet stream on December 31st. It was in fact, running pretty much straight from southern California to southern Ontario. Therefore it made sense for the flight to go west to get out of the winds and then southwest to San Diego.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by B1
On Dec 31 AC 777 (Toronto-San Diego, A319)- taxied to the takeoff runway and sat with engines running for over 30 minutes. Flight deck announced we were too heavy and was burning excess fuel. How is this problem determined and how can the weight be known with no scale?
Weight and balance calculations are done prior to takeoff using standard formulae with "given" input. It's not exact but there is sufficient "fudge factor" to supposedly account for inaccurate or approximate input.

The smaller the airplane the tighter the parameters. CRJs have been known to return to the gate to unload baggage and very occasionally, passengers.
Don't ask me how I know .
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:36 pm
B1
Original Poster

I looked at a map of the current jetstream flow. Indeed there is a countercurrent flow (E-W) that runs roughly from Minneapolis to LA, an eddy current to the main one that is running from Mexico City to Chicago and Toronto. http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/JetStream.aspx

Last edited by B1; Jan 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:46 pm

There are two different weights at work here.
Max ramp weight and max t/o weight.

YVR-MEX when full often has to burn off fuel before takeoff.

I've seen YYZ-California flights route over YQT before heading southwest.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tracon
There are two different weights at work here.
Max ramp weight and max t/o weight.

YVR-MEX when full often has to burn off fuel before takeoff.

I've seen YYZ-California flights route over YQT before heading southwest.
That explains my last YYZ-SFO. I thought they were lost!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorDoug
There could be a few reasons why it was was necessary to sit at the end of the runway to burn off fuel, but I will give you one possible scenario.

Normally, an Airbus A319 will burn 200kgs of fuel to taxi from the terminal to the end of the runway. If de-icing is anticipated, Air Canada dispatch will tell the fuel company to board extra fuel to accommodate the delays in the de-icing pad. I have seen upwards of an extra 800 kgs of fuel added to account for the de-icing delays. In Toronto, as at most stations, de-icing is done with the engines running. If you sit in the de-icing bay for an extended period you are burning fuel. Sometimes de-icing is not required, yet extra fuel has been boarded for it. On most flights it is not a problem. The aircraft are still well below their maximum take-off weight, therefore the extra fuel just gets carried to destination. However, on your flight (YYZ-SAN) I would guess that the aircraft was very close to it's maximum take-off weight without the extra fuel. Because the extra fuel had not been used for de-icing all (or a portion) of it had to be burned off prior to take-off.

There could be other reasons, but I would guess that the one I have mentioned is the most likely.

Also, I had a look at the jet stream on December 31st. It was in fact, running pretty much straight from southern California to southern Ontario. Therefore it made sense for the flight to go west to get out of the winds and then southwest to San Diego.
Excellent summary. Welcome to FT, DoctorDoug! ^
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:25 pm

Now, if only AC would give the OP 360 more status miles for the strange routing that AC777 took that day...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.