AC September OTP 69% (80% target)

Old Oct 1, 12, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
AC September OTP 69% (80% target)

Our September operational results were 69 for OTP (80% target) and 3.2 for CSI (2.1 target). While we continued to be challenged by maintenance-related constraints, we had a successful flight completion rate of 98.9 % for the month, and we handled a number of weather events including Tropical Storm Leslie, several days of thunderstorms in the US Northeast, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, red alerts in Calgary, and typhoon activity in Asia, and we also proudly and successfully carried our Paralympic athletes home from London.
Old Oct 1, 12, 3:34 pm
Original Member

While we continued to be challenged by maintenance-related constraints,...
Kinda puts the lie to that meme in the last OTP thread about how it was all or mostly the fault of employees.
Old Oct 1, 12, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, AA*EXP, VA-Plat, Marriott*LTPP, Hyatt*Globalist That's*Enough
AVEOS employees, right Ken?
Old Oct 1, 12, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
that is pretty bad.. must have been a lot of misconnects with the associated additional costs.
Old Oct 1, 12, 6:49 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
I like to look at the glass as half full as 69 is not a bad position to be in............................Ok I will grow up
Old Oct 1, 12, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
Kinda puts the lie to that meme in the last OTP thread about how it was all or mostly the fault of employees.
Yeah, like AC would blame staff in a PR. Also puts to rest the notion of high a/c utilization in the summer months as the culprit

AC must have the most unfortunate luck with their fleet

What was UA's OTP? They have far more weather exposure, older fleet, and more flights in typhoon region
Old Oct 1, 12, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

United Airlines today announced that it exceeded its 80 percent on-time domestic performance goal for the month of September, and is rewarding its eligible employees with a $50 on-time bonus to recognize this performance. The airline ended the month with an 82.0 percent domestic on-time arrival rate, showing continued significant improvement from the prior months.
August for UA was 72%.
August for AC was 53%
Old Oct 1, 12, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
Yeah, like AC would blame staff in a PR.
American Airlines has spent the past week and a half sending out one PR after the other to blame its pilots for poor OTP.

AC would blame its staff via PR too if it believed that staff were to blame for operational problems. In fact they have already done it (rightly IMO) a couple of times this year. They did it once when YYZ ramp staff walked off the job, and did it again to allege a "sick-out" by pilots.
Old Oct 1, 12, 10:05 pm
Original Member

I was referring to various FT posters that in a previous thread wondered if/claimed/insisted AC's poor OTP was the fault of Air Canada employees.
Old Oct 1, 12, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
I was referring to various FT posters that in a previous thread wondered if/claimed/insisted AC's poor OTP was the fault of Air Canada employees.
I was/am one of those posters

To think otherwise when you look at the results is baffling IMO

Guess you'd have to believe the EMB AC flies are lemons while US got lucky with theirs

... or the 763s AC fly weren't built as well as UAs older 763s , or AAs even older 762s

... or the summer storms at AC's YYZ were more disruptive than AA dealt with in MIA and DFW or UA delt with in NY

... or that AC pushes their fleet harder than UA who run aircraft to the very limit (eg, 752 TATL, 772ER on EWRHKG) or US who deal with 120'F summer temps in PHX ...
Old Oct 1, 12, 10:47 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
The last time I was on an AC flight that left on time was 2012. IMO they should be building in more downtime into their schedule as they have proven they can't achieve a reasonable OTP target. The reality is there will be another excuse next month.
Old Oct 1, 12, 10:56 pm

Programs: Accidental AC E35K
As a frequent customer I'm really not interested in whose fault it is. What is more important is that in one month AC has gone from dismal to almost as dismal. Still a looong way from anything close to acceptable.

Having said that, in situations like this I'm always astonished with the disgruntled employees' failure to realize that their momentary juvenile satisfaction in behavior that hurts the company's business is actually contrary to their own best interest. There's an expression about that, involves noseless faces.
Old Oct 1, 12, 11:04 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
This seems like a good LCC opportunity, start giving windows for flight departures/arrivals:

Your flight to Toronto will depart between 6AM and 9AM, please show up at the airport by 5AM and be through security for the earliest possible departure. Though that's pretty much what their doing already it seems
Old Oct 1, 12, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
in situations like this I'm always astonished with the disgruntled employees' failure to realize that their momentary juvenile satisfaction in behavior that hurts the company's business is actually contrary to their own best interest.
Who are these employees who are enjoying "momentary juvenile satisfaction", and what behaviour are you referring to? You read the reasons AC provided for the poor OTP in the OP, I take it.
Old Oct 1, 12, 11:13 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow View Post
I was/am one of those posters

To think otherwise when you look at the results is baffling IMO

Guess you'd have to believe the EMB AC flies are lemons while US got lucky with theirs

... or the 763s AC fly weren't built as well as UAs older 763s , or AAs even older 762s

... or the summer storms at AC's YYZ were more disruptive than AA dealt with in MIA and DFW or UA delt with in NY

... or that AC pushes their fleet harder than UA who run aircraft to the very limit (eg, 752 TATL, 772ER on EWRHKG) or US who deal with 120'F summer temps in PHX ...
- Or UA allows longer turn around times
- Or UA has longer block times
- Or UA is not trying to rearrange all of their maintenance due to the shutdown of their primary provider
- Or UA is more creative and/or proactive in mitigating delays
- Or UA is more creative and/or proactive dealing with delays when they happen
- Or UA has a much larger fleet and more hubs to cushion the effects of delays, including weather
- Or UA has a much larger workforce so when some employees time out at the end of the month there's a larger pool to cushion the effects
- Or UA isn't suffering a shortage of employees necessitating a hiring binge.
- Or UA isn't waiting on the delayed delivery of aircraft (particularly after merging 2 fleets each larger than AC's)

I'm still curious as to how some group of employees (small, medium or large) is impacting OTP and doing so, so invisibly. I would have thought that cause of slowdowns of the magnitude seen over the summer would have been self-evident if it was employees.

And I'm even more curious, wrt the "cut off your nose to spite your face" comment, exactly what the consequence to employees would be due to the poor OTP?

Layoffs, when AC is hiring more staff? Disciplinary action, and the likelihood of more wildcat strikes that will invariably end with management agreeing to all of the unions conditions for a return to work?

I don't doubt that some of the OTP problems are due to some employees, intentionally or otherwise. But it seems a stretch to imply that it is completely or even mostly the fault of employees when Air Canada itself has admitted they have a number of non-employee-related problems causing OTP issues.

Compared to any other causes, I suspect employees are a rather minor component.

Last edited by KenHamer; Oct 1, 12 at 11:26 pm

Search this Thread