FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Op-up - was it really worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1392683-op-up-really-worth.html)

simd Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Op-up - was it really worth it?

Long and complicated story….
Trip today (YHZ-YOW), deliberately booked extra segment (YHZ-YYZ-YOW) to get the miles to get me just over 40K and score extra eupgrades, which I need for an upcoming TATL later this year.
Successfully upgraded both the departing and returning flights at T-4.
At check-in – delays today, won’t make the connection in YYZ. Rebooked on YHZ-YOW direct. Specifically request cancellation of upgrade, confirmed by agent. Given seat 20A.
At the gate – my name is called, GA gives me new BP for 1A. I make a point of saying that I didn’t request an upgrade –GA says that his list says I am upgraded, and if I didn’t ask for it then it is my lucky day.
Checked my eupgrade account – still have all 12 points missing … balance is 22 points- not enough to upgrade my TATL in both directions. My balance after this trip (due to the missing extra mileage) will be just short of 40K, so no extra 10 eupgrades.
Called AC …they can’t see the file on a weekend. Tell me to call back on Monday. My return flight (already upgraded) is on Tuesday. I definitely get the feeling that they don’t believe me and think I am trying to scam them.

My options, as I see them:
1. Call back on Monday and explain (again) and hope that they credit the points back to me
2. Cancel the return upgrade to keep my points balance at 28
3. Hope that the miles on the upcoming outbound TATL are credited soon enough that I can get over 40K and have the 10 points credited in time for the return trip 1 week after I leave.

Anyone have any other ideas or advice?
What would you do?

YYZC2 Sep 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

If your original itin had two segments, and the IROP details can be confirmed, you have a plausible case. Its a case that would probably be bolstered if you flew YHZ-YOW in economy, but its too late for that now.

If you are confirmed in R for that future travel, I don't believe you can downgrade, but I stand to be corrected on that.

BTW, how did you get deducted 12 credits? I thought the max within NA was 10 one-way...

simd Sep 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by YYZC2 (Post 19408689)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19)

If your original itin had two segments, and the IROP details can be confirmed, you have a plausible case. Its a case that would probably be bolstered if you flew YHZ-YOW in economy, but its too late for that now.

If you are confirmed in R for that future travel, I don't believe you can downgrade, but I stand to be corrected on that.

BTW, how did you get deducted 12 credits? I thought the max within NA was 10 one-way...

I deliberately canceled the upgrade and advised the GA, who indicated that it was an op-up; I was more than prepared for a trip in Y.

You can cancel a confirmed e-upgrade (but only by phone).

They deducted 6 points for each direction ... I am already upgraded for the return flight. That is my dilemma.

canopus27 Sep 29, 2012 6:27 pm

I believe they deduct the points from your account when you clear the upgrade request - and then, if you don't get the upgrade (cancel the flight, etc) it typically takes 3-4 days for the eupgrades to get returned to your account. This has happened to me twice in the last month (once was due to an equipment failure, leading to no upgrade availabilty, and once was because I cancelled the trip). In both cases it eventually worked out for me, but it takes time.

So, even if all goes well for you & they return your upgrades, it will still take a few days.

zkzkz Sep 29, 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by simd (Post 19408628)
3. Hope that the miles on the upcoming TATL are credited soon enough that I can get over 40K and have the 10 points credited in time for the return trip 1 week after I leave.

It's been a year since I had them but iirc AC flights and threshold credits show up pretty quickly. I might still cancel the YHZ upgrade just to be safe though.

YQMer Sep 29, 2012 7:20 pm

You might want to check the miles that post for YHZ-YOW and see if you got a COS bonus--not sure if that makes up with the 800+500 you were looking for. Happens sometimes with op-ups since the class of service you were booked in is usually not available.

nave888 Sep 30, 2012 1:37 am

Originally Posted by YQMer (Post 19409044)
You might want to check the miles that post for YHZ-YOW and see if you got a COS bonus--not sure if that makes up with the 800+500 you were looking for. Happens sometimes with op-ups since the class of service you were booked in is usually not available.

good point. I noticed that a few weeks ago when I was upgraded on YUL-YYZ-YEG, but because of a cancellation, was rebooked 2 hours later. I was seated in J, and was given the COS on both legs!

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Sep 30, 2012 7:05 am

Because of IROPS, you should be credited with the miles and segments of your original booking. Will this be sufficient for you to hit the 40,000 threshold? If so, call AE and plead your case.
--
13F

yyzgigi Sep 30, 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ (Post 19410728)
Because of IROPS, you should be credited with the miles and segments of your original booking. Will this be sufficient for you to hit the 40,000 threshold? If so, call AE and plead your case.
--
13F

This used to the case, but no more. You only get credits for actual flights flown regardless of why it changes. Only exception is if you get moved to a non *A flight then they will give you equivalent AE points.

If you want points for the original routing you have to fly it even if the delay is longer.

simd Sep 30, 2012 7:37 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi (Post 19410820)
This used to the case, but no more. You only get credits for actual flights flown regardless of why it changes. Only exception is if you get moved to a non *A flight then they will give you equivalent AE points.

If you want points for the original routing you have to fly it even if the delay is longer.

It seems that you are all starting to see my complicated dilemma.

Do I cancel the upgrade on the return flight in 2 days time, in order to conserve my precious 6 points, or do I keep the upgrade and rely on the ability of AC to (rightfully, in my view) return them to my account in time for my trip in 3 weeks time?

yyzdub Sep 30, 2012 8:00 am

Only exception is if you get moved to a non *A flight then they will give you equivalent AE points.

Never knew this: is this true for AC or for all *A airlines? Have in the past declined being re-routed on EI (UA codeshare) because I didn't want to lose the miles: booking was on US.

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Sep 30, 2012 8:39 am

gigi -- thanks for the correction.

yyzgigi Sep 30, 2012 9:25 am

Originally Posted by yyzdub (Post 19410938)

Only exception is if you get moved to a non *A flight then they will give you equivalent AE points.

Never knew this: is this true for AC or for all *A airlines? Have in the past declined being re-routed on EI (UA codeshare) because I didn't want to lose the miles: booking was on US.

Gets more complicated there. I was saying if rerouted from AC to non-*A.

When it is not an AC ticket you'd need to convince the original carrier to ask AE to credit. There was a discussion a little while back where someone did convince UA to get AE to credit in a similar situation, i.e. UA ticket routed to non-*A so anything is possible.

yyzdub Sep 30, 2012 10:26 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi (Post 19411270)
Gets more complicated there. I was saying if rerouted from AC to non-*A.

When it is not an AC ticket you'd need to convince the original carrier to ask AE to credit. There was a discussion a little while back where someone did convince UA to get AE to credit in a similar situation, i.e. UA ticket routed to non-*A so anything is possible.

Ah I see. Good to know, thx.

YYZC2 Sep 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by simd (Post 19410841)
It seems that you are all starting to see my complicated dilemma.

Do I cancel the upgrade on the return flight in 2 days time, in order to conserve my precious 6 points, or do I keep the upgrade and rely on the ability of AC to (rightfully, in my view) return them to my account in time for my trip in 3 weeks time?

I'd cancel the upgrade.

AC could (and probably will) take the stance that you got what you "paid" for - a business class ride from YHZ to YOW.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think you were transferred to your new itin e-upgrade request and all, which leaves you with almost no leg to stand on w/r/t a refund.