Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is it worth it to get 15,000 AP miles for 180$ fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it worth it to get 15,000 AP miles for 180$ fee?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Why pay the $120 fee. Just this summer they were offering it with fee waived, on the CIBC Aerogold or Aventura.

Currently there are a few other cards that are either no fee, or first year fee waived, and get you a bunch of points. The MBNA Best Western MC, the Marriott premium Visa are two of them. If applied thru GCR for the mbna card(s), also get $60 rebate. So all of those are better than paying a fee.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yscleo
Why pay the $120 fee. Just this summer they were offering it with fee waived, on the CIBC Aerogold or Aventura.

Currently there are a few other cards that are either no fee, or first year fee waived, and get you a bunch of points. The MBNA Best Western MC, the Marriott premium Visa are two of them. If applied thru GCR for the mbna card(s), also get $60 rebate. So all of those are better than paying a fee.

Forgive my ignorance but what is GCR? and I am looking for aeroplan points so how does best western or mbna card help me?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:56 am
alc

Originally Posted by avish_mo
Forgive my ignorance but what is GCR?
GCR - Great Canadian Rebates. You get money back for using their web site to get the stuff that you want... which include applying credit cards. All MBNA card get $60 rebates. You can also refer others to GCR via your account. You will get referral bonus while your referrals get their rebates. (so, can I refer you )

Originally Posted by avish_mo
and I am looking for aeroplan points so how does best western or mbna card help me?
Here is the thread that talk about this promo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...highlight=MBNA

In summary, you get this no annual fee card with a 50K Sign-Up Bonus of Best Western Rewards. You can convert to Aeroplan in a 5 to 1 ratio. So 50K BWR = 10K AP.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:03 am
Original Poster

wow - thanks!
I sent you a PM for a refferal
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I wouldn't sign up for the best western card, not enough time.

You MUST spend $1000 by Oct 31, and it took me forever to receive the card from MBNA. Some people had even more problems than me, for reference read the SSSS comment on that thread .

I'd go for the Marriott one and the SPG Amex and convert it to aeroplan.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
+1

Applied almost 3 weeks ago and finally received both mine and spouse's card yesterday. Now have to spend $2000 by the end of Oct (2 cards).
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by peroorim
+1

Applied almost 3 weeks ago and finally received both mine and spouse's card yesterday. Now have to spend $2000 by the end of Oct (2 cards).
If you have problem spending those amounts, I can help you. Anyone needing help spending those amounts, I can help too.

Ok, you can buy gift cards. Costco, SDM, Esso, etc. (Or have me help you...)
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:24 pm

to go back to OP's question--I usually can mange to get close to 4c/mile on reward redemptions--in that case the 15000 for $180 is worth it--provided you spend at least $1500 per month on the card ( or 18000 dollars a year)-- otherwise just buy the miles and don't bother with the card. IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.