Mini RTW in Y - Advice Thread

Old Sep 26, 12, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AP, AM
Question Mini RTW in Y - Advice Thread

I know that most posters here think that a miniRTW in Y is awful.

I also know that some of us may only ever have the chance to do this type of trip in Y.

Therefore, I would like to start an advice thread.

I'm looking for answers to certain questions that could help me and others. Feel free to add other thoughts as well.

I'd like to avoid the "Don't fly in Y" or "Have you thought about credit card offers" type comments. Let's assume in this thread that Y is the ONLY option.

1) Which *A partners are the best for flying in Y?

2) Which routings are good in Y? (for example: is RAR - SYD in Y ok? Do you like ICN - CDG?)

3) If forced to take a flight longer than 8 hours, which airlines have the best red-eye in Y? Is Red-eye in Y recommended?

4) Which *A carriers offer the best food in Y? Best IFE? Overall best amenities?

I hope this thread spawns good discussion for the cattle class traveler (myself included).
Old Sep 26, 12, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Y is Y. I'd be looking at minimizing scamcharges. Perhaps focussing on TK, SA, NZ, SQ.

Last thing you want for your Y ticket is $1200 in scamcharges on top of points.
Old Sep 26, 12, 10:31 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
I've done many long trips in Y, including among others ORD-PEK (13.5 hs), NRT-YYZ (13 hs), YVR-SYD (15 hs), plus other TATL and TPAC, and others to South America (YYZ-SCL, IAH-EZE, IAD-EZE, etc.)

The key is to be prepared. Don't trust that you will sleep well, and have entertainment (reading, music, movies) available beyond the IFE just in case. Bring a pillow if it will help you sleep. My personal choice is a window seat so that I have more choices for finding a decent sleeping position; in that situation, I keep myself slightly dehydrated so that I have better control of the bathroom breaks.
Old Sep 26, 12, 10:33 am

If doing the trip in Y, I'd probably be more inclined to chose my destinations wisely rather than trying to pick the best flights, and, as already mentioned, minimize surcharges.
Old Sep 26, 12, 11:00 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Minimize surcharges, look at UA SK LX TK CA MS SQ SA.

Be self-sufficient on IFE, even bring a few more snacks/water

Avoid overnight flights, if possible. If not (such as the case with most e/b TATL, and SA flights), learn how to sleep sitting upright on a plane, prepare in advance (be tired my departure time, try to give a some recovery time upon landing/transit by taking advantage of 24-hr transits), and hope for a row of three/four seats to be empty.
Old Sep 26, 12, 11:00 am

Programs: AC E50K, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Y is Y. I'd be looking at minimizing scamcharges. Perhaps focussing on TK, SA, NZ, SQ.

Sorry, but SQ Y on an A380 is not the same as UA Y on an old 747. A 19in wide seat with 32 pitch and ridiculous amounts of IFE beats a 17in wide seat with 31 pitch and a TV in the ceiling.

Flew SYD-LHR-SYD within 4 days last year in SQ Y. I found the wider seat helped to get comfy for sleeping (more room to twist sideways etc).
Old Sep 26, 12, 11:11 am

Programs: AC
You should be able to build a decent RTW using only TK and SQ:
- very good food and PTV
- 32-34" seat pitch
- no fuel surcharges

Another thing to consider is direction: eastbound you are looking at 3 overnight legs, westbound it's 2 overnights+dayflight.
Old Sep 26, 12, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K AC 35K CX Gold SPG Plat
totally agree

well said. totally agree. AC is not good at this.. so try UA, US, CA, TK, SA, NZ, SQ

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post

Old Sep 26, 12, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yeg2where View Post
Sorry, but SQ Y on an A380 is not the same as UA Y on an old 747. A 19in wide seat with 32 pitch and ridiculous amounts of IFE beats a 17in wide seat with 31 pitch and a TV in the ceiling.

Flew SYD-LHR-SYD within 4 days last year in SQ Y. I found the wider seat helped to get comfy for sleeping (more room to twist sideways etc).
Where did I even mention UA?? - for non-status pax stuck in E-, UA Y will be a poor choice. However, paying for E+ at $100 for a longhaul is still less than paying $300 scamcharge to fly E- on AC.
Old Sep 26, 12, 12:22 pm

Agree with posters above.

- Choose interesting destinations where you really want to go and spend time there. Spend at least a week at each of the three destinations. Don`t squeeze you RTW in a week or two,
- Go west for day flights,
- SQ is widely available in Y,
- Choose flights with no fuel surcharge,
- Schedule stopovers between long flights. In J you could do overnight flight - (24h connection) - another overnight flight. Don`t do it in Y.
Old Sep 26, 12, 12:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I am currently planning a mini-RTW, YUL-SYD being the main required trip, in Y. I do have enough points to do it in J, but would rather save those points for further travel. Luxury is nice sometimes, but generally I've never been one to need luxury and always prefer to sacrifice a bit of luxury to get more of what I'm buying (in this case, travel for my points). I expect some discomfort and fatigue definitely, but I don't expect it to be intolerable... but then again, I'm not 6'5 200+ lbs etc, which I expect would make a difference??

I'm focusing on LX, TK, SQ, and have UA in there on the return. Have never flown UA though, now a little worried based on comments, might have to see if there's another option but LAX-YUL I don't think so? (other than AC with scamcharges)

I've received good info and help here, and actually haven't received any "don't fly in Y" comments - everyone knows it's not going to be high comfort (and who knows, I may live to regret it).
Old Sep 26, 12, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatCanuck View Post
Have never flown UA though, now a little worried based on comments, might have to see if there's another option but LAX-YUL I don't think so? (other than AC with scamcharges)
LAX-YUL scamcharges are only $27... so no need to worry. If you dont have status for UA, $27 is worth flying AC direct. On Y longhauls however, you save $300 by not flying AC, for $100 you can buy UA E+ which will have far more legroom than Air Canada.

You will regret it, I had a friend this summer who was all set on doing a mini-rtw in Y, same reasons, save points, easily could tolerate it, etc. I told her, if you are doing it in Y, I am not helping you arrange it! She ended up on TK/SQ/UA J - and came back admitting I was right and it was well worth the points!
Old Sep 26, 12, 1:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Ah that is great to know only $27 LAX-YUL, thanks for that tidbit of info, I assumed it was more. I will go back to the drawing board to see if I can find and AC flight instead of UA for that last leg.

I promise to come back here after the journey and say whether I regret the Y...
Old Sep 26, 12, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP, AM
Mini RTW in Y - Advice Thread

$27 YUL to LAX seems a lot lower than others I've seen.

Which airlines have inflight WiFi?
Old Sep 26, 12, 8:12 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz Five Star
Having done a lot of TPAC / TATL Y travel, you rely on the entertainment system more than ever. This is where SQ, TK, even LH and AC shine. Not so good on UA.

In addition, UA no longer offers free alcohol in economy, which would be a deal breaker for me if it was a free ticket. UA is great for cheap paid tickets, that earn points. I'd stay away if I could on a free ticket in economy.

I would also fly westward if I could to minimize sleeping on the aircraft.

Search this Thread