MR for early Elite?

Old Sep 25, 12, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
MR for early Elite?

Looking for some opinions on whether it is worth doing a MR to earn early elite. At the moment it looks like I'm going to have ~34K miles as of October 15th. Based on my schedule for the rest of the year I should come in around 55-60K by December so making Altitude 50K next year won't be a problem. Being AE Basic right now it would be nice to have a few of the perks that come with AC*E for the rest of the year. Curous to know if others think spending a few $$ on a short MR is worth it? Also looking for any cheap deals ex-YYC.

Last edited by fly_yag; Sep 25, 12 at 10:22 am
Old Sep 25, 12, 8:43 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Be sure to compare the cost of the MR with those of the perks you expect to use, like buying MLL access or paying baggage fees.
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
The additional eUpgrades will likely make it worthwhile if you have long trips coming up between now and end of February, which sounds to be the case.
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:19 am

Programs: AC
The real cut-off for early E/SE has always been somewhere in Oct 25-31 range, so if you have more flights in October, you might not need to MR.
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:23 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
It also depends on what you want to get out of Elite. If you're looking to use those eUpgrades but usually only buy Tango +, you might score a miserable percentage of success (depending on the routing).
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:32 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Again, your cost versus your value of those benefits. Too bad you don't get the 500-mile minimums by not currently having status, a short r/t flight would get you 1000 miles.

Are you planning any trips just after Oct 15th? Unofficially, there is a certain grace period of a week or so (or more!) - YMMV.

One thing to hope for is, if you do get early recognition and select eUg credit, say, mid-November and AC decides to extend their expiry date (like last year) to 2014.

As for MR ideas, I looked quickly on ITA and saw a few flights to SFO/PHX/LAS/LAX for $360-450 on UA, among other *A. Why not make a weekend of it, too?
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:38 am

Programs: AC*E50K MM, PC Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
The additional eUpgrades will likely make it worthwhile if you have long trips coming up between now and end of February, which sounds to be the case.
I agree, you could choose 45 upgrade credits which you can use on your remaining 20-25k travel this year and on flights early next year too.
Old Sep 25, 12, 10:11 am

To me, the trade-off for yourself is the time & money aspect for a MR (for my wife, this impacts the entire family as she would want to make a MR with myself and our son, so that turns into a $1K+ trip) vs these for 4 months:

Bonus Miles of 15K+ (as you'll no doubt fly Jan & Feb also)
eUpgrade ability of at least a few trips
priority status for check-in, boarding, baggage, etc
Up to 3 free bags
MLL Access

vs

The chance you get upgraded with a flight after the date.

1 vs 2 is a personal preference, 1 & 2 vs 3 is a gambling preference!
Old Sep 25, 12, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WhiteYUL View Post
Are you planning any trips just after Oct 15th? Unofficially, there is a certain grace period of a week or so (or more!) - YMMV.
I have another ~5K in travel by the end of October so if there is a bit of an extension to the October 15th deadline I should be OK. Would be nice if this was made official somehow though instead of crossing my fingers.
Old Sep 25, 12, 10:29 am

Programs: AC*E75K, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold
I just had the same issue, was going to be 1100 Miles short of Early Elite recognition. In the end I was able to rearrange my existing flights for October to get the extra Miles.

It depends on how much you're going to fly after to work out the real value of benefits.

I'm flying TATL for xmas and Jan so getting the early elite status for the upgrade oppurtunity was a no brainer.

Search this Thread