Wiki Posts
Search

Standby J (on paid J ticket)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Standby J (on paid J ticket)

Last week I was booked on a last-minute J ticket today where there were no J seats on one leg. Was confirmed in Y and put on standby for J for that leg.

I checked in online to at least get a good Y seat (flight was overbooked in Y too!) and was expecting I'd automatically be placed on the airport J standby list. However, I discovered on arrival in the connecting city that I was not. A call to the concierge fixed it (and I did get the single J seat that opened up), but wondering what I *should* have done to avoid this. Or was this a random glitch?

No harm no foul, but if my connection time had been a bit shorter or I had not asked when entering the lounge, probably someone else would have gotten the J seat as an upgrade. Not bad for them, but a paid J standby should trump an upgrade, methinks.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Years ago I stopped flying UA under similar circumstances - I was coming back from
Asia via ORD on a paid F ticket, I got into ORD early and wanted to standby on an
earlier flight to YYZ. There was one seat open in F, it was given to a UA 1K as an upgrade,
and I was put into Y on a paid F class ticket.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Cool

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Years ago I stopped flying UA under similar circumstances - I was coming back from
Asia via ORD on a paid F ticket, I got into ORD early and wanted to standby on an
earlier flight to YYZ. There was one seat open in F, it was given to a UA 1K as an upgrade,
and I was put into Y on a paid F class ticket.
These days the 1K who was # 1 on the ug list would be sitting in the e- middle seat behind you as the upgrade went to a first time flyer who sprung for the $79 day of upgrade from his discount y ticket. But I see your point.

To the op it is always best to actively pursue your upgrade, or in your case avoid a downgrade.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:47 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Derek

To the op it is always best to actively pursue your upgrade, or in your case avoid a downgrade.
It's always a mystery to me what info GAs can and can't see. I was on paid J a while ago, rebooked in Y on the earlier (but delayed) flight when my original flight was cancelled, then called up to the counter before boarding to be told "It's your lucky day; I'm giving you an op-up". Oh really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.