Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada and Aer Lingus Sign Interline Agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada and Aer Lingus Sign Interline Agreement

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Thanks for the info. I've flown EI a lot in the past (I'm Irish), just wondering how they'll deal with me if I try to board with a laptop bag and standard rollaboard. I'm guessing not well
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 2MM, Lifetime Marriott Platnium Elite
Originally Posted by AC_flyer
No. EI did not charge me for my checked bag. I did not try to take an extra carry on. Just had my lap top bag... I was on the 6:40am flight DUB-LHR and it was full... Overhead compartment was at a premium on the flight considering EI was all Y class. The check in agent at Dublin did move me to a better seat to the front of the plane and I did not show my 'Elite' card. Their check-in service was great.... I basically slept through the flight even before take off so cannot speak for the service...
Were you on one ticket or two separate tickets ?.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E
Originally Posted by podge
Were you on one ticket or two separate tickets ?.
Sorry had to check. It was under 1 ticket.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: Altitude E50
My first post. Kudos to all for this great resource.

To follow up on a question from earlier in this thread: I just finished travelling LHR-BHD return on IE. Both inbound and outbound flights I carried a legal-size roller and hefty briefcase without issue. Nor did I have any trouble with similar carryon earlier this year flying BFS-EWR on UA. YMMV, as the one-carryon warnings certainly are displayed prominently.

My question:

In January I have YEG-LHR on AC followed by a ~five hour layover and LHR-BHD on EI (separate tickets). Annoyingly, I will have the maximum AC*E allotment of checked bags. Any opinions on:

1. Will I be able to interline my luggage all the way through to BHD despite having separate tickets? If so, I assume I arrange this at YEG, rather than over the phone prior to departure?

2. If the bags get checked through, will I get away without baggage charges on the LHR-BHD leg, given that I'll drop the bags off at YEG as AC*E?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:26 pm

Well I'm not sure how strong a promise I can give you, but... I did this on a UA->EI connection once a couple years ago. I gave UA one bag in SFO which they checked through all the way to DUB and it showed up in DUB no problem, no extra fees.

AC has a similar policy of accepting bags to interline onto any airline they have an agreement with even if it's a separate ticket. I would recommend doing online checkin and having your itinerary printed out so they have the ticket number and record locator, sometimes agents have difficulty finding the right record. (Make sure they're looking on the right day, ie. +1...)

However my case was UA->EI and UA has been codesharing with EI for a lot longer. Also it was a few years ago and it's possible EI has changed the way they handle interline baggage. At least one person claimed to have been asked to pay an additional fee to ransom their bag though I'm not sure I believe that story. Afaik the airline that accepts the bag covers all the costs which are spelled out in their interline agreement.

It's entirely possible that AC can do this in theory but that the computer systems and/or the agents are not yet completely up to speed on it and will have difficulty pulling it off.

I do recommend trying though. You may as well spend your 5 hours in LHR eating and relaxing instead of standing around waiting for a bag.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by DrDogger
My first post. Kudos to all for this great resource.

To follow up on a question from earlier in this thread: I just finished travelling LHR-BHD return on IE. Both inbound and outbound flights I carried a legal-size roller and hefty briefcase without issue. Nor did I have any trouble with similar carryon earlier this year flying BFS-EWR on UA. YMMV, as the one-carryon warnings certainly are displayed prominently.

My question:

In January I have YEG-LHR on AC followed by a ~five hour layover and LHR-BHD on EI (separate tickets). Annoyingly, I will have the maximum AC*E allotment of checked bags. Any opinions on:

1. Will I be able to interline my luggage all the way through to BHD despite having separate tickets? If so, I assume I arrange this at YEG, rather than over the phone prior to departure?

2. If the bags get checked through, will I get away without baggage charges on the LHR-BHD leg, given that I'll drop the bags off at YEG as AC*E?
I just got back last week from DUB-LHR (on EI) followed by LHR-YYZ (it ended up being LHR-YUL-YYZ due to IROPS, but EI didn't know that!) on AC and the opposite 2 weeks before. Although they looked like 1 ticket on my Amex booking details, there were 2 separate airline confirmations codes. We had no trouble checking a bag. It even showed up in YYZ with a Priority tag, though that wasn't put on in DUB!

Good luck

Dr. PITUK
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk
Although they looked like 1 ticket on my Amex booking details, there were 2 separate airline confirmations codes.
That's normal. Each airline always has a separate confirmation code. If they were all on the same ticket then they're still one itinerary.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:59 pm

So my experience was mixed. AC were able to tag my bag through to DUB (although it didn't make it to DUB, but that was EI's fault at LHR - they were really screwed up that day with ~30% of pax getting no bag and ~30% of bags on the belt having no pax!). Bag was delivered to me the next morning.

On the return, however, EI claimed to be unable to send the bags through to YYZ. Said that there were two separate tickets, and so they couldn't do the tags for YYZ. Despite my pointing out that there is no way to buy a "single" DUB-LHR-YYZ ticket because it's an interline agreement, not a sales/ticketing agreement, they refused to check my bag all the way through and I had to pick it up at LHR. Fortunately I had plenty of connect time, but it was a pain in the arse...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:38 pm

At least the baggage at LHR from DUB flights is usually fairly speedy, IME - much less fun hanging around T3 for ages.

Not sure if this applied to you or not, krayZpaving, but curious if it's possible to credit the EI flights to Avios and the AC flights to AE, and the logistics involved with that (i.e. is it worth the hassle for relatively few points).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:50 am

EI only allows you credit points for higher fare classes (e400 tickets, not e85 tickets) unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.