Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
That does not work. Return turn around does not count as one continuos journey.
I tried it to NRT. Booked a fare with no minimum stay requirement,thus legal retouing.
YYZ-NRT-YVR-YYZ (3 hours between arrival in NRT & departure from NRT.
I had a 2 hour Airport meeting in UA RCC.Did not even clear Japanese customs or Immigration.
On landing in NRT, just took the connection lane, went through connection security & to UA RCC.
Had to cough up 2 sets of upgrades
the 11,000 miles does sound more and more fishy.......
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:06 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by bizorbetter
But will you have enough eupgrades for your AC travel next year?
plus you lose priority bag tags (like it ever works anyhow)
Don't lose anything, no status currently

I only check bags when travelling with better half and the kid, so much of the time the baggage stuff doesn't matter. But free checked bags is handy, and like you said the priorty tags don't work some of the time anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC, BA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by tremhug
Can't wait to ear the new pre-boarding announcement!
With so many tiers being called "Elite" it will be confusing. I think they will board Super Elite and J followed by all Elite. Only time will tell though.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
the 11,000 miles does sound more and more fishy.......
No. AC is setting the stage for 787. Some routes will go over 11K.

CP had rights to many routes which AC has rights to now.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Member

LHR- SYD will be same as 2012 benefit year. 17 e-Upgrade credits.
LHR-SYD is 10573 miles.
AC like UA upgrade is based on Milelage between city pairs not routing based.
There are virtually no two major airports in the world that are 11,000 miles apart.

I'm certain there are no two airports that Air Canada flies to that are that distance apart.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CT1
Don't lose anything, no status currently

I only check bags when travelling with better half and the kid, so much of the time the baggage stuff doesn't matter. But free checked bags is handy, and like you said the priorty tags don't work some of the time anyway.
Just bring over sized carry on if they're going to try and charge.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:16 pm

No. AC is setting the stage for 787. Some routes will go over 11K.

CP had rights to many routes which AC has rights to now.
Originally Posted by KenHamer
There are virtually no two major airports in the world that are 11,000 miles apart.

I'm certain there are no two airports that Air Canada flies to that are that distance apart.
I'm with Ken. Here is the map of 11K from YYZ: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=11000mi%40yyz

In order to go beyond 11K, they'd need to fly to the shaded area direct. Which cuts out... YYZ-PER?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:16 pm
Original Member

After reading all the details I think that... oh wait... I just realized I don't care.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Time will tell if that was a wise decision. Seems to me that SE/1K/EXP/Diamond folks are the most loyal and treated well by whatever airline gets their business. To get one of them to switch requires drastic action or incentives (like AA's status match of 1Ks), so throwing more resources at them only results in diminishing margins...

In my estimation it is the 35k-75k crowd that exercise the most discretion and are MORE likely to change their carrier based on the status benefits, and that is who AC just turned their back on.

As a 40k-ish flyer, my strategy now will be to put 25k on Delta for Silver Medallion (free exit row, free bag, good chance at UDU on ex-Canada flights) and 20k on A3 for *G (but will no longer need to fly the AC metal minimums).

Even above 50k, the strategy stands, given the fact that Delta lets you rollover excess miles. Heck, at 75k, I'd probably go with UA Gold and Delta Silver, since those 50k redeemable MP miles are worth about the same as 75k Aeroplan what with the YQ...

Cheers
Just a tip: the best flts for UDU on DL are the ones from AB.
To YVR I've had 100% success when travelling with PM/DM companions.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by rehoult
I'm with Ken. Here is the map of 11K from YYZ: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=11000mi%40yyz

In order to go beyond 11K, they'd need to fly to the shaded area direct. Which cuts out... YYZ-PER?
As someone else noted, EZE-HKG is over 11K. But how many people are flying that route and trying to upgrade the entire journey?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No airport from YVR is over 11K miles away. link
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Really. It time you stop being bitter & bash AC every opportunity you get.

Here is one example: EZE-NRT 11,374 miles.

The fare in coach may be more than going via USA on US carriers or Japanese carrier.

AC not competive coach fare with upgrades is way lower than discounted business fare on that route with Japanese carriers.

There is fair amount of trafic between SA & Asia. With the Olympics there will be increase traffic.

AC does have Asian based SE.
UA for example there is a large UA MP Japenese members.

As someone else noted, EZE-HKG is over 11K. But how many people are flying that route and trying to upgrade the entire journey?

Last edited by yyzprincess; Sep 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by rehoult
Amusingly, the longest trip in their system (EZE-SYD) will also still be 17 as EZE-SYD is only 7326 even though the miles flown is 15,883. Same goes for TLV-SYD, in fact pretty much every journey except deep SA to Asia will come in under 11,000 based on GC distances.
Mileage is based on the sum of the segments flown when there's a connection a flight number change not the GC distances. (Only UA screws its members by giving point to point mileage when one has actually flown more distance on two different flights, but it numbers both segments the same.)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
That does not work. Return turn around does not count as one continuos journey.
I tried it to NRT. Booked a fare with no minimum stay requirement,thus legal retouing.
YYZ-NRT-YVR-YYZ (3 hours between arrival in NRT & departure from NRT.
I had a 2 hour Airport meeting in UA RCC.Did not even clear Japanese customs or Immigration.
On landing in NRT, just took the connection lane, went through connection security & to UA RCC.
Had to cough up 2 sets of upgrades
Shame on you! Trying to sneak out of paying another SWU!!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really. It time you stop being bitter & bash AC every opportunity you get.

Here is one example: EZE-NRT 11,374 miles.

The fare in coach may be more than going via USA on US carriers or Japanese carrier.

AC not competive coach fare with upgrades is way lower than discounted business fare on that route with Japanese carriers.

There is fair amount of trafic between SA & Asia. With the Olympics there will be increase traffic.

AC does have Asian based SE.
UA for example has large Japanese MP members.
I would probably fly a L fare and not upgrade to SCL on a different fare and buy a T fare to NRT from there.
Or fly AR (it's $80 cheaper to do that too, and they fly from AEP which is more convenient than EZE) to SCL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.