Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
UA is bad enough with 4 different tiers. Now AC has 5 separate tiers. Give me a break. Has no one in Montreal heard of KISS?
This is a transition and just as UA kept the 75K Plat so as not to offend CO top tier elites, AC needs to keep 35K for a while longer. But also needed to create an intermediate tier between 50K and 100K to address complaints that those in this top range, but who don't make SE, get separated and higher priority than the mass of Elites.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Shareholder
That was one of Andrew's favourites too. One SSWU in the old, old days. [His last nail in the coffin...his job is done.] Quite a few take advantage of this as their first MR of the new year for 14 eUpgrade credits each way and about $2K and 1/3rd of the way to SE.
As usual you always have your numbers mixed up. LHR-SYD until FEB. 2013 - 17 eUpgrade Credits.

BTW, LHR-SYD is 10,573 Miles. Thus still 17 eUpgrade Credits for 2013 Benefits. So no change there.
It is not the routing. It is published miles between City Pairs that dictates eUpgrade Credit required.

Of course if AC moves to Routing based than LHR-SYD will be 13K.

Why is it every change AC makes you blame Andrew?
You have to get over AC offered the job to Andrew instead of you

HI am liking the way, AC continues to enhance SE benefits( This is not tongue in cheek , I actually mean it). They did it in 2011, 2012 now 2013.

AC is couple of steps away from giving UA 1K run for their money .

No fees for AE award cancellation, Free 24 hour change & free same day standby foe SE will put AC 's SE benefits as UA1K.

I will not be surprise the above will happen sooner than later.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Sep 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
An absolute joke from Air Canada. A total insult to their 50K and under flyers, which I imagine consist mostly of genuine business travellers, not bottom feeder FT mileage runner types whom push to 100K anyway.

If you ever needed a clearer sign to leave Aeroplan, this is it.

#AirCanada #losers #bankrupt
It appears you've already insulated yourself by moving your STARGold status over to A3, most likely because of the anticipated AC changes (or the 10K/5 segment AC metal requirement), or as a refugee from BD. So why care about what's going on here? The gravy train is over for the vultures who used AC Elite as cheap STARGold. They've all flown over to Greece.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Funny! The price is kind of high to give E status to SO. Wonder what I'd give up. Tier bonus? No! E-credits? No. Good thing my dog isn't expecting anything.
MG: I know this doesn't apply to you, but many SEs _only_ fly 100k a year. So giving up 100% tier bonus is only giving up 100k miles. I don't think that's a lot to trade for gifting E50 status. Or, as has been pointed out above, you can trade 50 7-day e-credits and recover 40 5-days from your newly-birthed E50 member. If R=0 in advance, it's not so bad really as it's the flying member's status at the gate that determines upgrade priority isn't it?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: ACA 35K, Omni Select Guest Black
ha ha! When I got the email and read it quickly I thought they had changed the name of the new loyalty program to

Air Canada Attitude

Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
MG: I know this doesn't apply to you, but many SEs _only_ fly 100k a year. So giving up 100% tier bonus is only giving up 100k miles. I don't think that's a lot to trade for gifting E50 status. Or, as has been pointed out above, you can trade 50 7-day e-credits and recover 40 5-days from your newly-birthed E50 member. If R=0 in advance, it's not so bad really as it's the flying member's status at the gate that determines upgrade priority isn't it?
This is a great enhancement for SE with SO. Similiar to UA Milliom Miler Benefit, can gift current level ,minimum lifetime Gold.

My nominee gets 1K. And as long as I am 1K my nominee has 1K status.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:54 pm

As noted, many do connecting international flights from Europe or Asia to SAmerica, or a combo of these continents. Plus the major MR of LHR-YVR-SYD.
LHR- SYD will be same as 2012 benefit year. 17 e-Upgrade credits.
LHR-SYD is 10573 miles.
AC like UA upgrade is based on Milelage between city pairs not routing based.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:59 pm

Interesting, my wife is a 35K flier this year for the first time on Oct 8. North America only, non-stop on AC only. From my first and second inspections, the changes that impact her:

• No priority baggage
  • Loss of 5 eUpgrade credits through bundle tiers (25+10 vs 10+20)
  • Loss of token "free" miles through bundles
  • Loss of 15% of bonus (50% -> 35%), ~6K miles

For her, the bigger changes, Loss of *A Gold (especially priority airport check-in) & access to *A Lounges isn't important, where I could see that impacting a lot of people. Who knows, maybe her eUpgrades will be easier if more people bail, but most people will only be bailing for 2014, so short term it's no benefit.

Definitely prefer the old version for her, but all told, it's not as bad as I could have feared... Losing the priority check-in and 3 bags on AC would have hit her much harder! Add this with Nexus, and she's buying a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA (G), AA(P),AP (SE), hhonors (D), marriott rewards (G), Priority Club (G),National Emerald(EE)
Can't wait to ear the new pre-boarding announcement!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Actually no. Since R space is usually 0, it doesn't matter if you request the upgrade 7 days before or 1 day before. It's the status of the flier that matters at the gate.
I meant an SE could try to use E-upgrades from a nominee in the case where R space was available (and save their own which can be used earlier and more importantly where SE status would increase the chance of it clearing).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:06 pm

But you're only upgrading the AC segments which will be to NRT or HKG, so even less than that mileage.
u sure its not one of those that does SFO-YYZ-YHZ-YUL-YOW-YYZ-YYC-YVR-YYZ-ORD-YYZ then NRT? Or those i guess going and coming home within 24 hours and being counted as 1 continuous journey as opposed to two single journeys?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:06 pm

It appears you've already insulated yourself by moving your STARGold status over to A3, most likely because of the anticipated AC changes (or the 10K/5 segment AC metal requirement), or as a refugee from BD. So why care about what's going on here? The gravy train is over for the vultures who used AC Elite as cheap STARGold. They've all flown over to Greece.
I agree with the gravy train statement but i really feel there should be a reward for those who flew only/mostly AC metal. Even for those between 35-50k

Lounge, Priority lines both airline and airport, almost everything is attainable by other methods (CC's Nexus etc)

The one thing that was worthwhile was Ecerts.......if AC would reward loyal AC metal flyers with more ecerts they would have kept me.....but quite frankly it is just about the same price to fly in NA on a US carrier and either buy the J class seat or get a guaranteed upgrade than it is to stay loyal to AC
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
well, I am glad I chose UA to qualify for next year instead of AC, doesnt look so hot if not 100K....
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess
LHR- SYD will be same as 2012 benefit year. 17 e-Upgrade credits.
LHR-SYD is 10573 miles.
AC like UA upgrade is based on Milelage between city pairs not routing based.
Amusingly, the longest trip in their system (EZE-SYD) will also still be 17 as EZE-SYD is only 7326 even though the miles flown is 15,883. Same goes for TLV-SYD, in fact pretty much every journey except deep SA to Asia will come in under 11,000 based on GC distances.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by joeags
Interesting, my wife is a 35K flier this year for the first time on Oct 8. North America only, non-stop on AC only. From my first and second inspections, the changes that impact her:

• No priority baggage
  • Loss of 5 eUpgrade credits through bundle tiers (25+10 vs 10+20)
  • Loss of token "free" miles through bundles
  • Loss of 15% of bonus (50% -> 35%), ~6K miles

For her, the bigger changes, Loss of *A Gold (especially priority airport check-in) & access to *A Lounges isn't important, where I could see that impacting a lot of people. Who knows, maybe her eUpgrades will be easier if more people bail, but most people will only be bailing for 2014, so short term it's no benefit.

Definitely prefer the old version for her, but all told, it's not as bad as I could have feared... Losing the priority check-in and 3 bags on AC would have hit her much harder! Add this with Nexus, and she's buying a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning...
She keeps priority check in if flying AC (as you state)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.