Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
An absolute joke from Air Canada. A total insult to their 50K and under flyers, which I imagine consist mostly of genuine business travellers, not bottom feeder FT mileage runner types whom push to 100K anyway.

If you ever needed a clearer sign to leave Aeroplan, this is it.

#AirCanada #losers #bankrupt
1. This is a transitional program designed to wean 35Ks off of Gold status. I agree that within 2 years, the 35K tier will vanish. More interesting question is eventual fate of the 75K tier.

2. People who "push to 100K" are more likely pax who fly transpac or TATL and not bottom feeders. Odds are that 35-50K pax are domestic or NA. So the changes, in my view, make sense from that perspective. Not sure you can generalize beyond that.

3. To me, the changes are rational when viewed in light of other Star carriers. At least they didn't completely kill benefits at 35K, which they could have done.

4. It is even more reason for FFs to think about supplemental programs that can make up what may have been lost - ie credit cards like AMEX plat.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:36 pm

My guess 60% of total are less then 40K, probably has very big cost savings for AC culling benefits on 35K and below
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Gold
There are no surprises here, except improvements to people who fly more than 75K. I love the fact that super elites can give status to their significant others. My partner is SE and he travels 50% of the time which is pretty hard to the relationship. The new benefits will improve such couples by giving them more comfort and at least some consolation about the fact that their partner travels so much. It is great that they can also upgrade reward tickets with e-upgrades within North america.

My only suggestion is that they if you are super elite and your status designee is already a 50K elite like me, they should push the designee to at least the next level (75K Elite in my case) or give them a status which is equal to current status + 50K.

so a *A would become 50K Elite
*P would become 75K Elite
*E- would become 75K Elite
*E and E+ would become Super Elite
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:38 pm
alc

Like others had stated, too much info to sink into my head now. But one thing I did say to myself is that I am glad AC actually announce the new tier well in advance. It allow me to plan all trip be as "multi-segments" as possible so I can hit 50 segments. Then to my surprise, due to some of the "interesting" flight pass route offering, I will be 82 segments by end of this year. Now I do like that 50K gift for SE, but too bad I just can't find a way to get 13 more segments with the schedule that I have for the rest of the year.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: *G
The >11,000 miles eupgrade requirement is obviously intended for TATL/TPAC traffic, not any one UHL segment.

I am disappointed in the 12 eupgrades for SEs at 20K thresholds.

I am also surprised that <50K travellers are surprised since I thought it was obvious in last year's announcement that 35K was going to get reduced privileges. I read the priority seats as bulkheads for all E/SE (but I wish ACV would allow that - they allow all AC E/SE privileges now except bulkhead seats).

For now, my only other comment is that the link in the broadcast email does not work (for me anyway).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:46 pm

again wow

The poor 35-49k loses *G privileges and drops from 45 ecredits to 30!!!

Most 'status' flyers must be in that range ??? lol

What is AC thinking here?.....i can't see how the cost/benefit analyst came up with this? thank goodness i began my migration this year.

Focusing on the wrong things IMO......just WOW
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sluis
There are no surprises here, except improvements to people who fly more than 75K. I love the fact that super elites can give status to their significant others. My partner is SE and he travels 50% of the time which is pretty hard to the relationship. The new benefits will improve such couples by giving them more comfort and at least some consolation about the fact that their partner travels so much. It is great that they can also upgrade reward tickets with e-upgrades within North America
Funny! The price is kind of high to give E status to SO. Wonder what I'd give up. Tier bonus? No! E-credits? No. Good thing my dog isn't expecting anything.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:51 pm
alc

now that I read more and noticed 75K still only have 2 Nominees. I was hoping to get 3 Nominees... i.e. 1 for 35K, 2 for 50K, 3 for 75K, 4 for 100K.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by sluis
My only suggestion is that they if you are super elite and your status designee is already a 50K elite like me, they should push the designee to at least the next level (75K Elite in my case) or give them a status which is equal to current status + 50K.

so a *A would become 50K Elite
*P would become 75K Elite
*E- would become 75K Elite
*E and E+ would become Super Elite
Great idea - I in the same situation, although I am currently looking at it as making my select privilege choices easier.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Funny! The price is kind of high to give E status to SO. Wonder what I'd give up. Tier bonus? No! E-credits? No. Good thing my dog isn't expecting anything.
I'm confused - you don't need to give up anything to give E status right? it's not a "select" benefit...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I'm confused - you don't need to give up anything to give E status right? it's not a "select" benefit...
OMG, I misunderstood the checkmark... I assumed that was just a gift lol - so let's say you gift the status to your pet, and you get him to nominate you, and loot all of his eupgrades, that's better than 100% bonus miles and the fees that come with them at redemption time right?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
LHR-YYZ-SYD is 13K miles.
That was one of Andrew's favourites too. One SSWU in the old, old days. [His last nail in the coffin...his job is done.] Quite a few take advantage of this as their first MR of the new year for 14 eUpgrade credits each way and about $2K and 1/3rd of the way to SE.

Nothing unexpected. Everything fits into the rationale set out earlier this year when the new tiers were first announced. Fewer eUpgrade credits in circulation will make for better upgrading opportunities. Those who expect to upgrade on every flight will have to get used to the reality that such upgrades are not intended for that purpose. Surprised at the reaction to 35K Elite going to STARSilver. That was a given when the new tiers were previewed. Brings it in line with LH's 35K Frequent Traveler tier...designed for those who fly primarily within NAmerica (and screens out from lounge benefits those who earn it on a couple of international flights to Asia).

The real benefits flow to those at the 75K tier (and SE) who will have a significant upgrading over the old 35K Elite where they were pretty much screwed over. Suppose those who were asking earlier this week if it was worth going for SE can now make the judgement themselves. I think I will stay with my current 82K EQM balance and put the rest of my STAR flights (including some AC ones) into my MP account and go for 75K over there, or even 1K again. (Will easily renew my AA ExecPlat so have that base covered.)

No doubt the tier program is a more solid offering now, and more clearly defined based on how much you fly each year and what those flight patterns are. Is it better? A net assessment would say "No" if compared to MP for a number of benefits I won't go into. The real downside for AE is on the redemption side where award levels for premium flights have gone through the roof, as have the fuel surcharge fees. Hardly an incentive to earn more AE when their value continues to decline.

No doubt many of the more promiscuous will flee AE for A3's program and it's very attractive STARGold tier. They will lose their modest upgrading opportunities, but keep the creature comforts they prefer. But they are not tied to flying AC in any case for business reasons so it matters little.

Suppose the proof will come about this time next year as we see how all of this works out in practice and have some concrete evidence of the good, the bad and the ugly. And maybe a few unknown unknowns!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by travisw
Improved upgrade priority
Yeah, over 35k and decreased priority since 75k will be above them
Additional eUpgrade Credits
For which there will now be a higher redemption rate on longer flights (so a wash)
Right now Elites are lumped in with everyone who earned under 100K so even being third in line for upgrading is a significant improvement since there won't be as many 75K Elites as there currently are Elites.

There only time the 11K+ credits will come into play is when someone is flying two international segments as MG has noted. This could be Asia-SAmerica or Asia-Europe and vice versa, in addition to the Europe-Australia example given. When you consider the mileage involved I have no objection to this change (as I discussed above).

So if these are your only complaints, I'd say the new program will work to your benefit.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
clearly those 11,000 miles eupgrades are the mileage runners they are targeting....

YYZ-SIN is only 9500....
But you're only upgrading the AC segments which will be to NRT or HKG, so even less than that mileage.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcohen999
Even a millage runner can't hit 11,000 on a single AC Metal flight...
As noted, many do connecting international flights from Europe or Asia to SAmerica, or a combo of these continents. Plus the major MR of LHR-YVR-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.