Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by bluegrinch
Two comments:
a) Must have misunderstood the question. Thought author was comparing 50k on AC vs 50k on UA/US, not perks of AC 50k while flying UA...
While flying UA from Canada to the USA - a UA 50k flyer - would still get lounge access. That was the point. You seem to think a 50k UA flyer flying UA would not.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rankourabu
While flying UA from Canada to the USA - a UA 50k flyer - would still get lounge access. That was the point. You seem to think a 50k UA flyer flying UA would not.
Next week I'm flying -

YVR -> YYZ -> DCA (AC)

DCA -> CLT -> IAH (US)

IAH -> YVR (UA)

...seems to me if I was UA 50K I would not be able to get into the lounges in DCA, CLT or IAH - correct?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by bluegrinch
Two comments:
a) Must have misunderstood the question. Thought author was comparing 50k on AC vs 50k on UA/US, not perks of AC 50k while flying UA...
b) Star Gold on any carrier except UA/US gets lounge access on domestic itineraries. Some lounge dragons (claim to) ignore it, but it's alliance policy.
So Blue

50k EQM on AC (old 35k) and/or UA/US gets you *G,,,,,,,?

but you only have US/UA lounge access with a *G from other than US/UA on US domestic travel?

Have i got that right?

I know J class on US/UA does not allow lounge access where as AC does but the diff in price is so massive who cares.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: A3 G, SPG, Fairmount
No major surprises that I can see. It follows the principles of what many of us here had discussed over the years:

- not enough recognition for those 36k-99k
- too many E's at barely 35k crowding the system

For years AC made a point of telling us that they-'for their own reasons' had one of the lowest access to *G at 35k and the only one in NA to do so. We knew this could not last and we received plenty of notice to adjust our patterns if we so desired.

I was SE for a few years then retired and made E at between 36k and 68k since retiring. Last year barely over 35k. This year I will exceed 60k and get the 20 e credit bonus for the last time. I understand why it had to go with the new Elite 75- you have to give them someting and it has to come from the lower tiers so as to remain cost neutral for the program. We were told last year this would be a re-balancing act not an add-on 'enhancement'.

So there we have it details and all.

Happy travelling whatever you decide to do.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Max Power
Everything else that the SE level offers (lounge access, priority boarding, priority check-in, priority baggage) I get automatically from any airline as a paid J passenger.
Not quite. At least with LH in FRA, the *G get a much nicer lounge than the paid J (and United F) passengers. I was quite surprised at that because it put a big hole in my "I'll give up on status and just pay for J tickets" plan.

Luckily, we were still *G when flying on United F so got into the nicer lounge, but not, of course, the LH F lounge. And when we came home from that trip we discovered dh had made MM so he now has E for life (and I seldom fly without him.)

Don't know what other airlines offer more to *G pax than paid F or J passengers.

As well, if your paid J ticket includes a transfer to a plane without J, you won't have MLL access at the connecting airport.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
Next week I'm flying -

YVR -> YYZ -> DCA (AC)

DCA -> CLT -> IAH (US)

IAH -> YVR (UA)

...seems to me if I was UA 50K I would not be able to get into the lounges in DCA, CLT or IAH - correct?
You would have access in YVR, YYZ and IAH departing for sure. I dont know what the US rules are re: Canada. But if it was an all UA itinerary - you would have access at DCA and CLT as well.
However on BUF-PHL-SXM, no problems in PHL.. go figure.

For example, if I do LAS-SFO-EWR-YYZ, I have acecss in LAS, SFO and EWR as a UA 50k.
Likewise, If I do YYZ-EWR-SFO-LAS, I have access at YYZ, EWR and SFO as a UA 50k.

I know that the US lounge in BUF for example has been enforcing the gateway rule lately, for example, even when I was going BUF-PHL-FCO - the BUF lounge said no.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bizorbetter
So Blue

50k EQM on AC (old 35k) and/or UA/US gets you *G,,,,,,,?

but you only have US/UA lounge access with a *G from other than US/UA on US domestic travel?

Have i got that right?

I know J class on US/UA does not allow lounge access where as AC does but the diff in price is so massive who cares.
On a UA itinerary, you would have no access on a purely domestic itinerary, as long as your itinerary includes (or you have a Intl/Canada same day boarding pass) anything same-day international (including Canada) - you have access to all lounges, even on a connecting domestic sector, arriving from Canada. Doesnt matter if you are Y or "F".
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:10 am
alc

Not sure if it is off-topic or if it had already discuss on other thread.

I was speaking to an Aeroplan agent recently and I made a comment about the high "surcharge" and she mentioned that Aeroplan management is considering increasing the reward redemption again next year but it will be now going to be all-in. So no charge for online and a charge for phone redemption.

So my question to all of those think Aeroplan is not worth it because of the high “surcharge” on redemption, will this higher redemption along with the new tiers change your mind and stay with Aeroplan?

I had been questioning myself for the last few years if I should stick to Aeroplan or not and so far I am still with Aeroplan. It is mainly because I am a Canadian living in Canada and mainly travel within Canada coast-to-coast. There are just too many other ways to earn Aeroplan miles outside of flights for me and I would like to have all my points in 1 account as much as possible.

Advice/Comments anyone?

Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
I like this new program. I fly 60-80k miles per year, so it will hopefully benefit me with better upgrade odds, as I am having a pretty rough year stuck sleeping in 12A.

And despite the negativity on this forum, I do feel it was communicated quite well. There were no big surprises in this recent announcement, and anyone who knew they were in the 35-50k range had advance notice that the realignment would erode a chunk of their benefits before they started flying in 2012.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AC-SE MM
Originally Posted by Lights_a_blur
I like this new program. I fly 60-80k miles per year, so it will hopefully benefit me with better upgrade odds, as I am having a pretty rough year stuck sleeping in 12A.

And despite the negativity on this forum, I do feel it was communicated quite well. There were no big surprises in this recent announcement, and anyone who knew they were in the 35-50k range had advance notice that the realignment would erode a chunk of their benefits before they started flying in 2012.
Very Well Said!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by Silvercity
Very Well Said!
Exactly. AC is a pretty good airline, and the benefits of SE are excellent. moving *G to 50k is totally in line with the majority of other airlines.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by alc

I was speaking to an Aeroplan agent recently and I made a comment about the high "surcharge" and she mentioned that Aeroplan management is considering increasing the reward redemption again next year but it will be now going to be all-in. So no charge for online and a charge for phone redemption.

So my question to all of those think Aeroplan is not worth it because of the high “surcharge” on redemption, will this higher redemption along with the new tiers change your mind and stay with Aeroplan?
If true that´s quite ridiculous.

Basically what they´d be doing is:

1. increase the number of miles required
2. decide that you need to pay an extra $500-$1000 for "fuel" because it´s no longer part of the transporation service
3. re-integrate the cost of "fuel" into the ticket price and increasing the number of miles

All within 1-2 years.

I´m generally happy with AC/AE, but that would be just insane.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by alc

I had been questioning myself for the last few years if I should stick to Aeroplan or not and so far I am still with Aeroplan. It is mainly because I am a Canadian living in Canada and mainly travel within Canada coast-to-coast. There are just too many other ways to earn Aeroplan miles outside of flights for me and I would like to have all my points in 1 account as much as possible.

Advice/Comments anyone?

Thanks.
That is a very interesting rumour.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by SensFan
Interesting question. I would expect that early recognition would be handled as it is now with two levels: at 50K (first level of *G) and 100K (top level of program). Maybe they will not change it at all though and leave it at 35K and 100K.

That would be very interesting to find out though soon because this might actually be motivation to stay as Elite 35K and then ride the wave next year up higher... I might have to have my FF number removed on a bunch of upcoming flights until we find out the answer.

On another note, I also want to find out more details on the aircanada.com travel options. While it says there will be a range of options I am guessing it will be restricted to the Onboard Cafe stuff.

Something like the following:
25K - $1 off onboard Cafe purchase
35K - $2 off onboard Cafe purchase
50K - One free snack
75K - One free sandwich
100K - Sandwich and non-imported Beer ($5 to upgrade to Heineken)

Regardless of what it is, I will probably take that over the lounge certs since I always seem to have trouble finding people who will use them.

Yes, that's the wild card at the moment. At UA, 1Ks get 10 free inflight drink vouchers, Plats (75K) get 5. On AA, ExecPlats who don't get UDUs or who are flying in coach on international flights get free booze (where hard liquor is charged for) and on NAmerican flights with BoB, a free BoB selection and drink. Maybe AC will expand the J-meal in economy option on transcons and international and that will be the offering, albeit free vs paid for (when booked in advance).
Old Sep 22, 2012, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by alc

Advice/Comments anyone?

Thanks.

The hike we got last year at the premium redemption levels was so large it should have encompassed the fuel surcharges. Another hike would only drive me further away from collecting AE miles, and from flying AC for anything more than long haul domestic flights (where I'd use my upgrades). Playing Aerolotto with the T+ fare increases on overseas flights makes it questionable vis a vis flying AC when I can get upgraded on AA or UA flights at a lower cost. And earn miles faster and redeem them for a lot less cash outlay...and often miles.

Global Entry makes flying into the US easier and the benefits on UA and AA are much better than offered by AC, so international flying has been shifting form AC on many routes to these carriers. The business class product is getting better on both carriers too while AC's is getting dated (though I still like the privacy of the pods).

As I posted earlier, this will be a transition year to see how the new AC tiers work out and how widely Tango fares spread. My annual business travel varies wildly from year to year, so if it shifts back to domestic in 2013, I will continue with AC on those flights and aim for at least 50K Elite if not 75K...given my overseas patronage has shifted to AA and UA, it's not likely I will accumulate enough AC flights to hit SE again (putting any STAR flights into my MP account to keep Plat status there). AA will be a toss-up depending upon how it emerges from Chapter 11. I've been pleased with my flights thus far so have shifted much of my transborder and intra-US flying to them: only one segment not upgraded on a comp basis out of a dozen flights not on RJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.