Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Old Sep 21, 12, 11:38 am
  #211  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YUL
Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, HH-G
Posts: 1,223
Given that domestic and international halls connect at YUL, could one use the domestic MLL on an international flight? This would solve one problem for E35K out of YUL.
Prestige is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 11:40 am
  #212  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: YUL
Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, HH-G
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
I asked actoptier on twitter - they said 35k and higher will be receiving them.
Thanks, now I can sleep. So we’ll be seeing three shades of blue!
Prestige is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 11:46 am
  #213  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC*E50
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by gglave View Post
No - Completely different zone.
Is that correct? I thought there was a boarding pass check Dom to Int'l, but no traffic control in reverse. Therefore you could go through Int'l security, walk to the domestic MLL and then show your BP to get back into the Int'l zone.
FrequentFlyerYYZ is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 11:55 am
  #214  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: AC E50K, Hertz PC, Nexus
Posts: 210
Noticed that the FAQ states "As part of the 2012 Air Canada Top Tier program, Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members have the option to choose Bonus Air Canada Status Miles as a Select Privilege. "

Looking at the select privileges, this is not actually true. 50k, 75k and 100k have the option to have a reduced status mile requirement for requalification, but they do away with actually giving you any miles. 35k elites get nothing. Also, the way it is written, you only get benefit to re-qual at the same level. e.g a 75k elite who chose that benefit but ends up only flying 45k next year would miss out on 50k status the following year?
yeg2where is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 11:56 am
  #215  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: AC S100K, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,348
Has there been any mention of how (or if) early recognition will work with the new program? They certainly can't give it to you for each tier, with select privileges every time along the way. You'd wind up with ~200 e-credits!

One way is to recognize you with each step, starting from 35k or 50k, but only the status itself and the threshold benefits and no select privileges.
yvr76 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 12:48 pm
  #216  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 13,102
Originally Posted by yeg2where View Post
Noticed that the FAQ states "As part of the 2012 Air Canada Top Tier program, Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members have the option to choose Bonus Air Canada Status Miles as a Select Privilege. "

Looking at the select privileges, this is not actually true. 50k, 75k and 100k have the option to have a reduced status mile requirement for requalification, but they do away with actually giving you any miles. 35k elites get nothing. Also, the way it is written, you only get benefit to re-qual at the same level. e.g a 75k elite who chose that benefit but ends up only flying 45k next year would miss out on 50k status the following year?
Could it be that you are comparing apples with oranges?

Your first line references the 2012 program (in effect this year), while your second paragraph is referencing the upcoming 2013 program.

In the current program, people had the opportunity to gain a relatively small number of Status miles to help them towards requalification. The new program removes the cost to AC of awarding aeroplan points buit in return is more generous in terms of giving people a 5,000 mile cushion towards requalification.

Your question about whether it only applies only to renewing your current status or could be applied towards renewal at any status is a good one. I would hope the answer is that yes it applies to requalification at any level.
The Lev is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 12:54 pm
  #217  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: AC
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ View Post
Is that correct? I thought there was a boarding pass check Dom to Int'l, but no traffic control in reverse. Therefore you could go through Int'l security, walk to the domestic MLL and then show your BP to get back into the Int'l zone.
Nope, definitely can't just walk back to Dom side, you could have bought duty free! The only way out of the Int area is going out through customs downstairs.

Originally Posted by yeg2where View Post
Noticed that the FAQ states "As part of the 2012 Air Canada Top Tier program, Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members have the option to choose Bonus Air Canada Status Miles as a Select Privilege. "

Looking at the select privileges, this is not actually true. 50k, 75k and 100k have the option to have a reduced status mile requirement for requalification, but they do away with actually giving you any miles. 35k elites get nothing. Also, the way it is written, you only get benefit to re-qual at the same level. e.g a 75k elite who chose that benefit but ends up only flying 45k next year would miss out on 50k status the following year?
I added the bold... the 2012 program is this year's program, the 2013 program just has the optional discounts instead of the miles which makes more sense anyway since the miles could be clawed back and caused confusion.

Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
Has there been any mention of how (or if) early recognition will work with the new program? They certainly can't give it to you for each tier, with select privileges every time along the way. You'd wind up with ~200 e-credits!

One way is to recognize you with each step, starting from 35k or 50k, but only the status itself and the threshold benefits and no select privileges.
Shhhh I doubt it'll be that easy but who knows.
CdnFlier is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 1:08 pm
  #218  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 8,765
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ View Post
Is that correct? I thought there was a boarding pass check Dom to Int'l, but no traffic control in reverse. Therefore you could go through Int'l security, walk to the domestic MLL and then show your BP to get back into the Int'l zone.
There has to be traffic control in reverse (International to Domestic) to prevent you from leaving with duty free.
gglave is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 1:42 pm
  #219  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LGA
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Posts: 2,253
Originally Posted by gglave View Post
There has to be traffic control in reverse (International to Domestic) to prevent you from leaving with duty free.
Remember though, they only hand you duty free as you literally step on to the plane, you don't just pick it up at the store when you buy it....
Tedgrrrr is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 1:58 pm
  #220  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 164
"Access additional Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward seats on flights operated by Air Canada or
Air Canada Express.
• Elite 35K, Elite 50K & Elite 75K have access to any unsold seat in Economy Class, up to aircraft capacity, in the event that Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward Seats are no longer available. These rewards require double the amount of Aeroplan Miles as a regular Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward.
• Super Elite 100K have access to any unsold seat in Economy Class, up to aircraft capacity, and to additional seats in Executive Class and Executive First, in the event that Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward Seats are no longer available. These rewards require the same amount of Aeroplan Miles as a regular Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward."


I'm glad I decided not to stop at 75k. I thought there might've been a chance that E75k would have some priority rewards at the classicflight miles.
john_doe123123 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 2:30 pm
  #221  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry
Posts: 8,765
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr View Post
Remember though, they only hand you duty free as you literally step on to the plane, you don't just pick it up at the store when you buy it....
Incorrect. At YVR you pick it up at the store and take it with you.

Last edited by gglave; Sep 21, 12 at 2:37 pm
gglave is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 2:37 pm
  #222  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ottawa
Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Posts: 389
Originally Posted by getaround View Post
Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altit ude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,A ltitude.

What a stupid naming program.

AC has too many summer students running the show.
I find this comment insulting to summer students
YOWie is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 2:57 pm
  #223  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: AC E50K, Hertz PC, Nexus
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
Could it be that you are comparing apples with oranges?

Your first line references the 2012 program (in effect this year), while your second paragraph is referencing the upcoming 2013 program.
But is cut and pasted from the terms FAQ for the new program...
yeg2where is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 3:10 pm
  #224  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Posts: 766
Someone mentioned:

Originally Posted by AC888

"As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how boarding announcements will work now. How will they distinguish between the various Elites without spewing a mouthful of numbers?"

I think thats actually why they kept all the higher levels "Elite"-- When they call priority boarding or have signs for security lines, they just have to say "Air Canada Elite", as it includes the 35K, 50K, 75K elite, as well as super elite.....Prestige doesn't get these perks, and are not labeled "elite".

Imagine if they had to call "Air Canada platinum (making up a random new name for top level), Air Canada Super Elite, Air Canada Elite, and Air Canada Prestige Plus" pax for boarding....Just simpler to align the perks with the name.
nave888 is offline  
Old Sep 21, 12, 3:58 pm
  #225  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 164
Originally Posted by nave888 View Post
Someone mentioned:

Originally Posted by AC888

"As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how boarding announcements will work now. How will they distinguish between the various Elites without spewing a mouthful of numbers?"

I think thats actually why they kept all the higher levels "Elite"-- When they call priority boarding or have signs for security lines, they just have to say "Air Canada Elite", as it includes the 35K, 50K, 75K elite, as well as super elite.....Prestige doesn't get these perks, and are not labeled "elite".

Imagine if they had to call "Air Canada platinum (making up a random new name for top level), Air Canada Super Elite, Air Canada Elite, and Air Canada Prestige Plus" pax for boarding....Just simpler to align the perks with the name.
why not just use a boarding number on every boarding pass, like UA
john_doe123123 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: