Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Given that domestic and international halls connect at YUL, could one use the domestic MLL on an international flight? This would solve one problem for E35K out of YUL.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Originally Posted by yvr76
I asked actoptier on twitter - they said 35k and higher will be receiving them.
Thanks, now I can sleep. So we’ll be seeing three shades of blue!
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by gglave
No - Completely different zone.
Is that correct? I thought there was a boarding pass check Dom to Int'l, but no traffic control in reverse. Therefore you could go through Int'l security, walk to the domestic MLL and then show your BP to get back into the Int'l zone.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AC SE
Noticed that the FAQ states "As part of the 2012 Air Canada Top Tier program, Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members have the option to choose Bonus Air Canada Status Miles as a Select Privilege. "

Looking at the select privileges, this is not actually true. 50k, 75k and 100k have the option to have a reduced status mile requirement for requalification, but they do away with actually giving you any miles. 35k elites get nothing. Also, the way it is written, you only get benefit to re-qual at the same level. e.g a 75k elite who chose that benefit but ends up only flying 45k next year would miss out on 50k status the following year?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Has there been any mention of how (or if) early recognition will work with the new program? They certainly can't give it to you for each tier, with select privileges every time along the way. You'd wind up with ~200 e-credits!

One way is to recognize you with each step, starting from 35k or 50k, but only the status itself and the threshold benefits and no select privileges.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yeg2where
Noticed that the FAQ states "As part of the 2012 Air Canada Top Tier program, Air Canada Elite and Super Elite members have the option to choose Bonus Air Canada Status Miles as a Select Privilege. "

Looking at the select privileges, this is not actually true. 50k, 75k and 100k have the option to have a reduced status mile requirement for requalification, but they do away with actually giving you any miles. 35k elites get nothing. Also, the way it is written, you only get benefit to re-qual at the same level. e.g a 75k elite who chose that benefit but ends up only flying 45k next year would miss out on 50k status the following year?
Could it be that you are comparing apples with oranges?

Your first line references the 2012 program (in effect this year), while your second paragraph is referencing the upcoming 2013 program.

In the current program, people had the opportunity to gain a relatively small number of Status miles to help them towards requalification. The new program removes the cost to AC of awarding aeroplan points buit in return is more generous in terms of giving people a 5,000 mile cushion towards requalification.

Your question about whether it only applies only to renewing your current status or could be applied towards renewal at any status is a good one. I would hope the answer is that yes it applies to requalification at any level.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
Is that correct? I thought there was a boarding pass check Dom to Int'l, but no traffic control in reverse. Therefore you could go through Int'l security, walk to the domestic MLL and then show your BP to get back into the Int'l zone.
Nope, definitely can't just walk back to Dom side, you could have bought duty free! The only way out of the Int area is going out through customs downstairs.

Originally Posted by yeg2where

I added the bold... the 2012 program is this year's program, the 2013 program just has the optional discounts instead of the miles which makes more sense anyway since the miles could be clawed back and caused confusion.

Originally Posted by yvr76
Has there been any mention of how (or if) early recognition will work with the new program? They certainly can't give it to you for each tier, with select privileges every time along the way. You'd wind up with ~200 e-credits!

One way is to recognize you with each step, starting from 35k or 50k, but only the status itself and the threshold benefits and no select privileges.
Shhhh I doubt it'll be that easy but who knows.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
There has to be traffic control in reverse (International to Domestic) to prevent you from leaving with duty free.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by gglave
There has to be traffic control in reverse (International to Domestic) to prevent you from leaving with duty free.
Remember though, they only hand you duty free as you literally step on to the plane, you don't just pick it up at the store when you buy it....
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:58 pm

"Access additional Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward seats on flights operated by Air Canada or
Air Canada Express.
• Elite 35K, Elite 50K & Elite 75K have access to any unsold seat in Economy Class, up to aircraft capacity, in the event that Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward Seats are no longer available. These rewards require double the amount of Aeroplan Miles as a regular Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward.
• Super Elite 100K have access to any unsold seat in Economy Class, up to aircraft capacity, and to additional seats in Executive Class and Executive First, in the event that Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward Seats are no longer available. These rewards require the same amount of Aeroplan Miles as a regular Aeroplan ClassicFlight Reward."

I'm glad I decided not to stop at 75k. I thought there might've been a chance that E75k would have some priority rewards at the classicflight miles.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Remember though, they only hand you duty free as you literally step on to the plane, you don't just pick it up at the store when you buy it....
Incorrect. At YVR you pick it up at the store and take it with you.

Last edited by gglave; Sep 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC, SPG, HH +others
Originally Posted by getaround
Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altit ude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,Altitude,A ltitude.

What a stupid naming program.

AC has too many summer students running the show.
I find this comment insulting to summer students
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by The Lev
Could it be that you are comparing apples with oranges?

Your first line references the 2012 program (in effect this year), while your second paragraph is referencing the upcoming 2013 program.
But is cut and pasted from the terms FAQ for the new program...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Someone mentioned:

Originally Posted by AC888

"As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how boarding announcements will work now. How will they distinguish between the various Elites without spewing a mouthful of numbers?"

I think thats actually why they kept all the higher levels "Elite"-- When they call priority boarding or have signs for security lines, they just have to say "Air Canada Elite", as it includes the 35K, 50K, 75K elite, as well as super elite.....Prestige doesn't get these perks, and are not labeled "elite".

Imagine if they had to call "Air Canada platinum (making up a random new name for top level), Air Canada Super Elite, Air Canada Elite, and Air Canada Prestige Plus" pax for boarding....Just simpler to align the perks with the name.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by nave888
Someone mentioned:

Originally Posted by AC888

"As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how boarding announcements will work now. How will they distinguish between the various Elites without spewing a mouthful of numbers?"

I think thats actually why they kept all the higher levels "Elite"-- When they call priority boarding or have signs for security lines, they just have to say "Air Canada Elite", as it includes the 35K, 50K, 75K elite, as well as super elite.....Prestige doesn't get these perks, and are not labeled "elite".

Imagine if they had to call "Air Canada platinum (making up a random new name for top level), Air Canada Super Elite, Air Canada Elite, and Air Canada Prestige Plus" pax for boarding....Just simpler to align the perks with the name.
why not just use a boarding number on every boarding pass, like UA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.