FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Announcing Air Canada Altitude (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1389648-announcing-air-canada-altitude.html)

DrPete Sep 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by bizorbetter (Post 19352674)
I have no issue with gifting for SE but i think those that fall into 35-49k will flee.......but who knows?

Yup - that would be me - when the per-announcement of the enhanced program came out a long time ago, all incentive for me to accumulate status miles this year disappeared. I will probably do less than 15K on AC this year compared 35-40K for the last half dozen years. And the incentive for picking AC for those few fights was/is to use up my eUpgrades.

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever (Post 19353850)
Time will tell if that was a wise decision.

In my estimation it is the 35k-75k crowd that exercise the most discretion and are MORE likely to change their carrier based on the status benefits, and that is who AC just turned their back on.

Cheers

Yes - the rewards for sticking with AC have diminished to the point of it not being worth the cost/effort to favor one carrier. I think your exactly right that it is probably the mid-range (like myself) who can exercise the most discretion - small business and independent travelers and the likes are not bound by corporate travel rules as to what carrier to choose, and since they are effectively spending their own money, they are are careful with it (but not cheap).

One change that I think was a real mistake on the part of AC was to take away the international upgrades and lounge access to varying degrees from 35/50k. If the assumption that 35/50ks stay mostly in North America is correct (and it probably is), then those benefits would be only minimally costly to the airline but would still be seen as great perk. Almost the ideal situation - offer something that is appreciated and rarely taken advantage of.

Originally Posted by bizorbetter (Post 19353571)
I agree with the gravy train statement but i really feel there should be a reward for those who flew only/mostly AC metal. Even for those between 35-50k

Lounge, Priority lines both airline and airport, almost everything is attainable by other methods (CC's Nexus etc)

The one thing that was worthwhile was Ecerts.......if AC would reward loyal AC metal flyers with more ecerts they would have kept me.....but quite frankly it is just about the same price to fly in NA on a US carrier and either buy the J class seat or get a guaranteed upgrade than it is to stay loyal to AC

Couldn't agree more! You would think an E at 35K who did all their flying on AC would be more valuable than a 50K or above who does half or 2/3s of their flying on other carriers. Some form of recognition of that probably would have kept me doing 35k+ on AC annually. I had suggested a long time ago in a previous post that a simple implementation of this could have been to say 25k AC status miles qualifies you for the 35k level, 35k AC status miles qualifies you for the 50k level etc.

It's funny - in one sense I'm happy with today's confirmation about next years top tier levels. I would have been kicking myself for not doing more status mile flying had they turned out to be better than what I had expected based on earlier info from AC. As it is, I'm pleased to have made the right decision on how to alter my travel patterns.

After writing this, I'm beginning to wonder if the details we were given today were purposely delayed so late into the year to delay/prevent people jumping ship and possibly earning status on other frequent flyer programs. But then again, maybe I'm being just a little too cynical :)

fin 645 Sep 20, 2012 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 19354001)
Mileage is based on the sum of the segments flown when there's a connection a flight number change not the GC distances.

I'm pretty sure that AC's intent is to require extra eupgrade credits for trips such as Europe/Aust (or as I said in an earlier post, TATL cnx to TPAC), so it will be interesting to see how the implementation of this one plays out based on the opinions expressed here. Hence the 11,000 mile number - no current single AC segment exceeds that, so they are after the crowd connecting to two destinations through Canada.

rehoult Sep 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Mileage is based on the sum of the segments flown when there's a connection a flight number change not the GC distances. (Only UA screws its members by giving point to point mileage when one has actually flown more distance on two different flights, but it numbers both segments the same.)

For mileage earnings, yes. But not for eCredit purposes in my experience.

YYC-YYZ = 10 credits
YYC-YYZ-ORD = 6 credits

SFO777 Sep 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess (Post 19354221)
The one that serves Krug with strawberries & Caviar from YVR to North American cities :D

That's right. :p

http://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/Cath.../IMG0781-M.jpg

Sam_AE Sep 20, 2012 7:40 pm

SE can now upgrade a family/friend to Elite 50K

Anyone want to put a dollar value on this? Of course, it would be a violation of the program to sell this benefit.....

As far as I know, this is the first/only way to "earn" status at AC without flying at all.

SYD/YYZ Sep 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess (Post 19352670)
Yes. LHR-SYD .

UA allows 1 SWU LHR-SYD. Having been doing it on United for several years. Did it 3 times this year. Used 6 SWU RT . 90K + EQM.

I do SYD-LHR-SYD every year and have done for over a decade. Always via YVR and yes 2 distinct AC flight numbers but AC metal all the way. Have always enjoyed one cert in the old days or 17 eupgrades-which I have found a great way to use credits. I wonder what it will become now...?:eek:

SYD/YYZ

yyzprincess Sep 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Mileage is based on the sum of the segments flown when there's a connection a flight number change not the GC distances. (Only UA screws its members by giving point to point mileage when one has actually flown more distance on two different flights, but it numbers both segments the same.)

Can you please get facts correct!

For eCredit purposes in my experience it is Grand Circle Mileage.
I regularly do LHR-YYZ-YVR. The computer auto deducts 14 e-Credit. I do sneak out of paying additional 3 e-Credits as true mileage LHR-YYZ-YVR is >5000, as you are fast in accusing posters of scaming the system.
From AC website:
You are flying on a Latitude fare from Toronto to Frankfurt with a connecting flight in Montreal. Your upgrade can be calculated in two ways:
• Toronto-Frankfurt direct: 6 eUpgrade Credits
• Toronto-Montreal (1 credit) + Montreal-Frankfurt (6 credits) = 7 eUpgrade Credits.
In this scenario, you will be charged 6 eUpgrade Credits.
Note: This example is for indicative purposes only. The actual credits required for this itinerary may differ

The status mileage credit I receive LHR-YYZ-YVR is 5634.
The eCredit purposes the rule followed is City Pair mileage which LHR-YVR is 4723. Thus only 14 e-Credits

So please post facts. This week alone I have had to correct you on the numbers you posted!!!

YZF_Elite Sep 20, 2012 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by flyingelmo (Post 19352850)
No more fees for taking bikes on a plane! welcome change.

Where did you see this? This would be great for me.

yyzprincess Sep 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by SYD/YYZ (Post 19354715)
I do SYD-LHR-SYD every year and have done for over a decade. Always via YVR and yes 2 distinct AC flight numbers but AC metal all the way. Have always enjoyed one cert in the old days or 17 eupgrades-which I have found a great way to use credits. I wonder what it will become now...?:eek:

SYD/YYZ

It will still be 17 e-Credits. For eCredit purposes AC uses the Grand Circle mileage. LHR-SYD it is inder 11K. See my post # 157
Only way it will be over 11K,if AC changes the rules to actual segment miles flown.

yyzprincess Sep 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sam_AE (Post 19354663)
SE can now upgrade a family/friend to Elite 50K

Anyone want to put a dollar value on this? Of course, it would be a violation of the program to sell this benefit.....

As far as I know, this is the first/only way to "earn" status at AC without flying at all.

Having given it additional thought it did occur to me the gifting may not come with the benefits such as e-Credits.

AC may take a page from United Miliion Miler benefit gifting page. UA Million Miler one of my benefit is to I can gift my current status. My giftee gets 1K status. However the status comes with san upgrade instruments. No 6 SWU E-Upgrade certs.

Symmetre Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm

As a lowly E who will finish this year a little under 75k on *A, I don't see these changes affecting me a whole lot. I'll be a little farther up AC's upgrade totem pole, but will still get beat out by the SE's and folks on Latitude flight passes every time. So nothing will change there.

My lounge access won't change - it may be a little quieter in there next year, but not likely since they allow access to anyone with a credit card or willing to fork out $35. My checked bag allowance won't change. I couldn't care less about bulkhead seats and usually find the exit rows gone by the time I book anyway.

Odds of hitting SE remain slim to none, nor will I be lucky enough to have to fly any less.

Attractive looking cards (and presumably bag tags) but otherwise, much ado about nothing - for me, at least.

Plumber Sep 20, 2012 8:34 pm

I have been >100K for more than ten years, with most years > 150k.

Overall, I like the changes I see- though would like to see all same-day change fees waived for SEs.

With the new branding, does anyone feel that AC may be looking to take back control of their own ff program in the coming years? By that I mean doing away with Aeroplan all together and being able to offer reasonable redemptions to its members?

mkjr Sep 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 19354641)

do not get me wrong, krug NV is nice, but wholesale cost is really sub US$100 per bottle...now you, and on occasion, I, pay more, but the last time I paid over 100 per was for 1990 vintage and even then it was sub 200 although my mag of 89 was also sub 200. As much as ac picks my arse often, the drappier choice is a smart one. 90 grand sendre is as good as the bolly gA 90 and a few other 90s I have had. Then again, krug aside, personally, ac is just ok in my books compared with cx on hkg runs. But this is ot. I know my boss who loves ac and loves the lounge access on international flights will be pissed about the changes. In fact, I might be able to have him move his dec hkg flight to cx since even with it he will not make 50k so better to fly cx from yyz. I do my part. Friends help friends fly cx. :D

fin 645 Sep 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Plumber (Post 19354919)
With the new branding, does anyone feel that AC may be looking to take back control of their own ff program in the coming years? By that I mean doing away with Aeroplan all together and being able to offer reasonable redemptions to its members?

I can't believe it took 11 pages before someone pointed that out!

(So OK, another thread was started but it still took a while).

Silvercity Sep 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 19354988)
do not get me wrong, krug NV is nice, but wholesale cost is really sub US$100 per bottle...now you, and on occasion, I, pay more, but the last time I paid over 100 per was for 1990 vintage and even then it was sub 200 although my mag of 89 was also sub 200. As much as ac picks my arse often, the drappier choice is a smart one. 90 grand sendre is as good as the bolly gA 90 and a few other 90s I have had. Then again, krug aside, personally, ac is just ok in my books compared with cx on hkg runs. But this is ot. I know my boss who loves ac and loves the lounge access on international flights will be pissed about the changes. In fact, I might be able to have him move his dec hkg flight to cx since even with it he will not make 50k so better to fly cx from yyz. I do my part. Friends help friends fly cx. :D

Ok off topic but I've collected Krug for years. So please tell where on the US you can get it Sub $100 btl. Also when did you buy 1990 Krug (in 1994)? It's has been sub $200 in 15yrs. Just sold a case in auction for a whole lot more. AC wines simply SUCK