Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canada agrees to marshals for Washington flights

Old Oct 12, 01, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan

OTTAWA, Oct 12 (Reuters) - Buckling to pressure from Air Canada, Transport Minister David Collenette agreed on Friday to provide armed air marshals for flights by the airline to Washington's Reagan National Airport.

Following the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and Washington, the United States has insisted that any flights into National, located close to the White House and other government buildings, carry armed marshals.

Collenette had refused the idea for Canadian flights in general but finally agreed to the idea for this one sector.

``Should U.S. officials grant Air Canada access to Reagan National Airport, the government of Canada is prepared to assist the airline in meeting the enhanced security measures which are unique to this airport,'' Collenette stated.

``Armed RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) officers will be available for Air Canada flights to Reagan National.''

Prior to the Sept. 11 attacks, which turned hijacked airliners into fire-bombs, Air Canada had been the only non-U.S. airline serving the airport, and the struggling carrier was keen to restore that privilege.

Permission must still be granted by U.S. authorities before Air Canada flights will be accepted at National.

The opposition Canadian Alliance party has pressed Collenette to use air marshals. It pointed to the fact that one in five efforts in a government test to smuggle weapons past airport security had succeeded.

Collenette has responded that he preferred to take security measures on the ground so that airplanes are safe to fly and do not need armed guards on board.

The Alliance's James Moore, reacting to the announcement, said: ``I only hope he will expand the air marshal program to all of Canada's domestic and international flights so that all Canadian air travelers are afforded the same level of security as passengers traveling to Washington, D.C.''

[This message has been edited by Agincourt (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old Oct 12, 01, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Air Canada Welcomes Canadian Government Decision to Support Enhanced Security Measures Required for Access to Reagan National Airport

MONTREAL, Oct. 12 /CNW/ - Air Canada today welcomed Minister Collenette's support for the airline to meet special, enhanced security procedures now required to operate into Reagan National Airport in Washington D.C. The Government of Canada today confirmed that armed RCMP officers will be available for Air Canada flights to this airport.

Air Canada is waiting for permission to resume service to Reagan National Airport from the U.S. Department of Transportation following its request to Secretary Mineta October 4, 2001.

Old Dec 8, 01, 6:10 pm
ALW

* Air marshals to be deployed, Global TV reports

The federal government is to put armed air marshals on some domestic and international flights in a bid to get Canadians flying more, Global News reported yesterday.
www.nationalpost.com/news/national/story.html?f=/stories/20011208/822860.html

Old Dec 8, 01, 6:20 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I just don't see how having them on board can encourage people to start flying. In fact I feel more vulnerable knowing that there is someone on board with a weapon. (I don't buy into the fact that the bullets won't penetrate the aircraft will make it any safer)
Old Dec 8, 01, 7:22 pm
ALW

I agree. And frankly I don't buy into the idea the bullets won't penetrate the hull in the first place.

andrew

Search this Thread