Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Connecting through YYZ, US to Europe? + Service questions

Question: Connecting through YYZ, US to Europe? + Service questions

Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Question Connecting through YYZ, US to Europe? + Service questions

Hi all,

Kind of a three-part question here.

1. My family and I are planning a trip from ALB-CPH for next summer. While we've done the trip for many, many years now, we've never connected through Canada. To that end, I'm confused about when we'll have to go through customs and immigration. The exact routing will be ALB-YYZ-CPH and CPH-YYZ-ORD-ALB, with the ORD-ALB being on UA. When will we have to go through customs and immigration during this trip? Will we need to recheck bags? Also, connection in YYZ on the way back is 1:30...is this enough?

2. YYZ-CPH-YYZ is on the 767-300ER, and YYZ-ORD is on the 175. We've never been on AC before...what kind of service can we expect?

(edit) 3. It's booked through Orbitz, and the YYZ-CPH-YYZ is actually ticketed as an LH codeshare. How should I select seats? Orbitz apparently can't do it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nytraveller53; Aug 31, 2012 at 7:13 pm
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Forgot to mention: the ALB-YYZ and YYZ-ORD are actually ticketed as Air Canada...because I have that, will the two Lufthansa code shares also be part of that ticket with Air Canada?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Plat UA Silver Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by nytraveller53
1. My family and I are planning a trip from ALB-CPH for next summer. While we've done the trip for many, many years now, we've never connected through Canada. To that end, I'm confused about when we'll have to go through customs and immigration. The exact routing will be ALB-YYZ-CPH and CPH-YYZ-ORD-ALB, with the ORD-ALB being on UA. When will we have to go through customs and immigration during this trip? Will we need to recheck bags? Also, connection in YYZ on the way back is 1:30...is this enough?

2. YYZ-CPH-YYZ is on the 767-300ER, and YYZ-ORD is on the 175. We've never been on AC before...what kind of service can we expect?

(edit) 3. It's booked through Orbitz, and the YYZ-CPH-YYZ is actually ticketed as an LH codeshare. How should I select seats? Orbitz apparently can't do it.
1. You hit immigration in Canada in YYZ en route to CPH, but it's a cursory look at a connections desk - there's rarely a line. Follow the signs. I don't think, but someone else will know for sure, that you collect bags in YYZ on the way to CPH; they are direct transferred for you.

2. On your way home it's Canadian Customs and collect bags, then follow connections to US Customs and Immigration. You do need your bags this time, because Toronto doesn't have the photograph of your bags feature yet. One and a half hours will be very tight, but if it's all on one ticket they'll just put you on the next flight if you don't make it. You'll get stuck in US Customs sometimes depending on the time of day. If you have Global Entry or Nexus it's no problem.

3. Service is pretty much like any North American airline, except you get personal entertainment screens. If you get a good crew it is usually OK on AC. The food is the same. If you're in business you might have a slightly better experience than on US airlines.

4. Can't answer you about the tickets. I'd call Orbitz and ask them for your airline locator (can't remember someone else hopefully will) or whatever they're called, then call the operating airline with that and ask for seats.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atsak
1. You hit immigration in Canada in YYZ en route to CPH, but it's a cursory look at a connections desk - there's rarely a line. Follow the signs. I don't think, but someone else will know for sure, that you collect bags in YYZ on the way to CPH; they are direct transferred for you.

2. On your way home it's Canadian Customs and collect bags, then follow connections to US Customs and Immigration. You do need your bags this time, because Toronto doesn't have the photograph of your bags feature yet. One and a half hours will be very tight, but if it's all on one ticket they'll just put you on the next flight if you don't make it. You'll get stuck in US Customs sometimes depending on the time of day. If you have Global Entry or Nexus it's no problem.

3. Service is pretty much like any North American airline, except you get personal entertainment screens. If you get a good crew it is usually OK on AC. The food is the same. If you're in business you might have a slightly better experience than on US airlines.

4. Can't answer you about the tickets. I'd call Orbitz and ask them for your airline locator (can't remember someone else hopefully will) or whatever they're called, then call the operating airline with that and ask for seats.
So to clarify:

On the way TO CPH, we'll go through a basic immigration process for Canada.

On the way FROM CPH, we'll go through Canada immigration, claim bags, go through US Customs and Immigration, and recheck bags again. Is this correct?

The flight from CPH arrives in YYZ at 2:50 PM, which I'd imagine is prime-time for international flights...?

(By the way, I think it's awesome that AC has their AVOD system even on their CRJ-705 and ERJ-175/190 fleet!)
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:26 am

So to clarify:

On the way TO CPH, we'll go through a basic immigration process for Canada.

On the way FROM CPH, we'll go through Canada immigration, claim bags, go through US Customs and Immigration, and recheck bags again. Is this correct?

The flight from CPH arrives in YYZ at 2:50 PM, which I'd imagine is prime-time for international flights...?

(By the way, I think it's awesome that AC has their AVOD system even on their CRJ-705 and ERJ-175/190 fleet!)
Correct; that's the way I've had friends do it before, but I'm going from memory here so someone else may need to correct me; do double check with Air Canada en route. 2:50 isn't too busy at US immigration yet I believe but you would likely expect a 30 minute wait, perhaps 45, so there's a good chance things will go your way; you'll be wanting to walk quickly along the way and hoping for on time arrival :-)

On the upside when you step off the plane back home you grab your bags and you're home.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Correct; that's the way I've had friends do it before, but I'm going from memory here so someone else may need to correct me; do double check with Air Canada en route. 2:50 isn't too busy at US immigration yet I believe but you would likely expect a 30 minute wait, perhaps 45, so there's a good chance things will go your way; you'll be wanting to walk quickly along the way and hoping for on time arrival :-)

On the upside when you step off the plane back home you grab your bags and you're home.
Great, thanks.

On the way there, we have about a 4 hour layover in YYZ...anything fun to do there? We'll be flying in on the Air Georgian 1900, so that will be a fun experience.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

A quick look at the seatmap shows rows 31 through 39 completely full already...any idea why?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

A quick look at the seatmap shows rows 31 through 39 completely full already...any idea why?
Anybody...anybody?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:50 am

Great, thanks.

On the way there, we have about a 4 hour layover in YYZ...anything fun to do there? We'll be flying in on the Air Georgian 1900, so that will be a fun experience.
There's not really much you can get done in that amount of time. I would be inclined to buy a lounge entry to the plaza premium lounge and have a couple drinks and something to eat in there for the $35 or so each; there's coupons around. The food is better than other lounges. Otherwise YYZ terminal 1 isn't bad; there's not a lot to do but it's bright and spacious.

Landside there's a rather sad little airport history display or something. You could ride the train to Terminal 3 and the parking lot . . .

Ya, just stay airside in the lounge.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:50 am

Group booking? Seat maps are mysterious things. Who knows.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Group booking? Seat maps are mysterious things. Who knows.
True.
For anyone who is interested, I just got off the phone with Air Canada...they were able to assign the seats, even for the "Lufthansa" flights.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Just received a call from Air Canada...because of a schedule change at United, I had the opportunity to change our returning flight; we are now going BLL (more convenient)-FRA-YYZ-ALB.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Just received a call from Air Canada...because of a schedule change at United, I had the opportunity to change our returning flight; we are now going BLL (more convenient)-FRA-YYZ-ALB.
I would rather take FRA CHI ALB.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
more transborder input

Interesting thread! I would be interested in learning what your redemption fees are for this reward travel? Also, what about any fuel surcharges? (a common complaint for AP members travelling on points).

IMO, you will find the IFE systems on AC disappointing across the Atlantic. I recently flew IAD-BRU and FRA-ORD on United, and the IFE was far superior to AC's. Just saying!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Flying in a month from Newark to Curacao via YYZ. Only 1 hr for the connection. I know customs will go quick, but does anyone know how close the UA gates (United Express if it matters) to the rest of the AC gates?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.