Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: CIBC AeroGold annual fees waived?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: CIBC AeroGold annual fees waived?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat w/Ambassador, HH Diam
CIBC AeroGold annual fees waived?

In June 2012 I contacted CIBC and they refunded 50% of the fees I had paid when I opened my CIBC Aerogold Visa account in Sep 2011.

I just got my renewal fees billed, and called again, and they refunded 50% again.

I am just wondering if I should have held out for 100% each year...and if anyone else has had any luck with CC fees being waived.
Dan
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I've been offered either 50% or some amount of points. I haven't had the whole amount offered, though.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:12 pm

I've had zero luck getting my annual fees waived or even discounted for my CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite.

I would think to waive the annual fees, they look at the annual amount charged to the card and how much interest is paid.

In my case, I don't carry a balance and I've greatly reduced the usage (using Amex Aeroplan Platinum instead)...so perhaps that's why they won't waive anything for me.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC*E
What?!?!? They refund the annual fee?!!??
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
They refund more than 50%..i think$ 75 out of the$ 120 or 2500 points.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I paid for the first year, and when renewal came a year later, I asked for the new fee waived. They said no. Told them to close the account.

I paid no interest for the year. Total spend was maybe 5-6000.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by beep88
I paid for the first year, and when renewal came a year later, I asked for the new fee waived. They said no. Told them to close the account.

So did they end up waiving the fee?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88

I told them to keep the CC as well. My spend on that card was averaging 50K per year
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:22 pm

CIBC is very stingy on waiving fees or giving out miles.....

They offered 3500 miles if I choose to renew....I said....no thanks i will cancel...and a month later reapplied a new one..... wham! 15,000 points @ the same annual fee ahahahhahaa

If I recall there's usually a promo around September where the fee is reduced or waived......
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC E, HH Gold
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller

They offered 3500 miles if I choose to renew....I said....no thanks i will cancel...and a month later reapplied a new one..... wham! 15,000 points @ the same annual fee ahahahhahaa

If I recall there's usually a promo around September where the fee is reduced or waived......
May - Aug this year they had a promo 15000K aeroplan + first year waived.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC E, HH Gold

Does it damage your credit if you keep on doing this? closing every year and getting another one? on your credit report it would show no account with more then a years history....
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by getliquid
Does it damage your credit if you keep on doing this? closing every year and getting another one? on your credit report it would show no account with more then a years history....
Make sure you keep your oldest card...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:43 pm

+1 to this. Churning is way more lucrative!

Cheers
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by john_doe123123
So did they end up waiving the fee?
No. He did "warn" me that re-applying may cause credit issues, which means they know people are just going to cancel and re-apply any way.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat w/Ambassador, HH Diam
I had to tell the CSR I wanted to speak to a supervisor after he told be he could do nothing. The Supervisor was not very willing to accomodate, and indicated that this was a 'premium' card and therefore I should expect to pay the fee. I explained that as I saw it, my >100K of spend generated them a lot of merchant fees, and they had made their money on that. I indicated I was a good customer, and he caved and said he could do a 50% reduction for this year (They did 50% last year too)

Sometime you get the right person...However, when I call next year (which he told me not to do!) - I will cancel the card if the fee is not waived.
D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.