Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring from AC to NH at LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AC E35k
Transferring from AC to NH at LAX?

I'm not sure whether or not this is the appropriate forum, so please move it if necessary. As my first segment of travel is on AC I figured I should post here.

Basically, I am going from YVR to NRT via LAX. AC down to the US and NH over to Japan. (all in J)

Having never done a Canada-US-int'l flight before, I'm not entirely certain what to expect. I know US immigration is done at YVR, but I'm not sure what this means for my international connection. I see two scenarios:

1) I have to pick up my baggage after the AC flight, then re-check my bags with NH after getting everything over from T2 to TBIT

-or-

2) My bags will be checked through to NRT at YVR and all I have to do is get myself over to TBIT upon arrival at LAX

in essence, will AC be able to check my bags through to NRT?

Based on the above, would a 2 hour connection be long enough? If it's Scenario 1... no I suppose?

I'm also curious about the return: can NH check my bags through to YVR at NRT? Connection is at SFO with the final segment on UA though. Probably a question better directed to the NH board.

Thank you!

Last edited by yamanote8; Aug 28, 2012 at 2:56 am
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:57 am

Your bags will be check through to NRT, make sure u ask the agent to do that!

Its the other direction (NRT->LAX->YVR) where you have to pick things up due to US customs checkpoint
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by yamanote8
I'm not sure whether or not this is the appropriate forum, so please move it if necessary. As my first segment of travel is on AC I figured I should post here.

Basically, I am going from YVR to NRT via LAX. AC down to the US and NH over to Japan. (all in J)

Having never done a Canada-US-int'l flight before, I'm not entirely certain what to expect. I know US immigration is done at YVR, but I'm not sure what this means for my international connection. I see two scenarios:

1) I have to pick up my baggage after the AC flight, then re-check my bags with NH after getting everything over from T2 to TBIT

-or-

2) My bags will be checked through to NRT at YVR and all I have to do is get myself over to TBIT upon arrival at LAX

in essence, will AC be able to check my bags through to NRT?

Based on the above, would a 2 hour connection be long enough? If it's Scenario 1... no I suppose?

I'm also curious about the return: can NH check my bags through to YVR at NRT? Connection is at SFO with the final segment on UA though. Probably a question better directed to the NH board.

Thank you!
Never done this from YVR, only from YYZ but I think the same will apply. AC will tag your bags to NRT, and print you a boarding pass, So your scenario 2 will work. However once I did this with AC to SQ and the TSA agent made me go back to the SQ check in desk and get a printed SQ boarding pass. I think that was just my unlucky day. With two hours that is enough time, but if you get late into LAX you will need to adjust accordingly. I normally just walk as I think it is faster than taking the bus, and I need the exercise. Keep in mind you will have to clear security at TBIT which is not always fun.

Over all you will be fine nothing really to worry about with time to relax in the Star A lounge at TBIT.

I have never done the SFO transfer so can’t comment on that one.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
From what I can remember of my last trip in Jun (via SEA but have done several times via LAX before), scenario 2 is correct. Ask YVR staff to check in your baggage to NRT. In LAX, no need to worry on the bags, just walk from T2 to TBIT, go through security, then get yourself to the LAX Maple Leaf lounge.

On the return, make sure NRT staff check-in the bags to YVR. But when you get into LAX, you will have to clear US immigration and custom. Drag your bags to the transfer belt and you're done.

2 hours connection on outbound is a breeze, but on inbound could be tight, depending on your arrival time. On my last trip, it took me 1 hr 15 min to clear immigration. Painful.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by sllee

On the return, make sure NRT staff check-in the bags to YVR. But when you get into LAX, you will have to clear US immigration and custom. Drag your bags to the transfer belt and you're done.

2 hours connection on outbound is a breeze, but on inbound could be tight, depending on your arrival time. On my last trip, it took me 1 hr 15 min to clear immigration. Painful.
Last time at LAX I was told no bags on the transfer belt unless to US--and I had to take bags to AC and put it on their belt!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like 2 hours should be enough for the outbound assuming no delays. I'm most worried about security at TBIT, is there a priority line available?

I'm looking into other flight options for the inbound, but it doesn't look like there are any flights available if I want to travel the NRT-SFO segment on NH other than a UA flight which leaves two hours after the NH flight arrives. It's not a midnight departure or anything (12:45PM) so there are plenty of flights up to YVR later in the day: UA should be able to help me out if there's a delay with the inbound NH flight as everything is on one PNR right?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Thanks for the replies!

Looks like 2 hours should be enough for the outbound assuming no delays. I'm most worried about security at TBIT, is there a priority line available?

I'm looking into other flight options for the inbound, but it doesn't look like there are any flights available if I want to travel the NRT-SFO segment on NH other than a UA flight which leaves two hours after the NH flight arrives. It's not a midnight departure or anything (12:45PM) so there are plenty of flights up to YVR later in the day: UA should be able to help me out if there's a delay with the inbound NH flight as everything is on one PNR right?
I've traveled fairly frequently NRT-SFO-YVR on NH/AC or NH/UA. I've never had a problem with the two-hour (sometimes slightly less) connection time at SFO. I don't imagine you'd have much trouble being rebooked on a later flight--if necessary--provided there are seats.

PS: And yes, NH will check your bags through to YVR at NRT.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ylwae
I've traveled fairly frequently NRT-SFO-YVR on NH/AC or NH/UA. I've never had a problem with the two-hour (sometimes slightly less) connection time at SFO. I don't imagine you'd have much trouble being rebooked on a later flight--if necessary--provided there are seats.

PS: And yes, NH will check your bags through to YVR at NRT.
Perfect. Just to confirm, this means I won't have to pick up my bags and re-drop them at SFO right?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Perfect. Just to confirm, this means I won't have to pick up my bags and re-drop them at SFO right?
No you will still have to pick up your bags and re-drop them in SFO. It just means you won't have to get them retagged at SFO.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by wrp96
No you will still have to pick up your bags and re-drop them in SFO. It just means you won't have to get them retagged at SFO.
That's right. Painless process for the most part, though.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Originally Posted by ylwae
That's right. Painless process for the most part, though.
Understood. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.