Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Used my E-Ups - What a sucker! And, a tale of drama.

Used my E-Ups - What a sucker! And, a tale of drama.

Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:34 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Originally Posted by YULcookiemonster
I love this idea. A combination of bidding and game theory -- sounds like a microeconomics prof's dream. The world needs more fun applications of this sort of stuff.

One could even try to convince everyone to write $1000, but in the large and diverse sample of the passengers on a typical airplane, it would be very tough to get people to hold ranks. Someone would bid $950 to make sure they got the $1000, and so on.

And then there would be the person bidding $1 like The Price is Right...
I like the idea too, simply, can even form part of the tariff, and of course having an economics background makes it even more appealing!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:43 pm
Original Member

'Course people like me would "play" the game.

First off I'd stand back and count the number of cards handed out. If it was less than the number of volunteers they were looking for, the sky would be the limit - write in $5000 and know it will be, by definition, one of the chosen cards.

Solution: Don't announce the number of volunteers you need. Simply state "we need some volunteers."
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Really like the idea, Ken!^

Particularly as 99% of the population have no understanding of economic theories, this could potentially be great fun.

(though I´m already reasonably happy with my current VDB success rate this year...)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:20 pm
Original Member

People's "bids" might be coloured by their previous experiences:

Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by KenHamer
1. Have preprinted cards made (more in a moment.) Cards would have 2 blanks - Name: and Amount:.

2. When a Denied Boarding situation arises, make an announcement along the lines of:

"We are unable to accomodate 13ą passengers on this flight. If you would be willing to take a later flight in exchange for compensation please take one of these cards. Fill in the card with your name and the amount of compensation you would like to receive, with a minumum of $200.

Once we have collected all of the cards we will select the 13 cards with the lowest amounts and rebook those passengers on a later flight. All passengers who are rebooked will receive the highest amount noted on any of the 13 selected cards, and in no case will receive less than $200.

Cards must be returned within FIVE MINUTES."

3. Collect the cards. (Number them in order of receipt in case of a tie for last place.)

4. Pick the the 13 cards with the lowest amounts, and send those people aside.
Sounds familiar. Isn't this auction-like system kinda related to what DL is doing?

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/05/de...ping-into-eba/
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Hodor?
Hodor.

But this is a fantastic idea. The other option would be to even allow it at check-in (okay, I just read the post directly above this) or booking and set the minimum compensation limit higher. Set it even higher to have a rolling VDB profile on your account. Sort of like the upgrade list, but in reverse. So first they can process any minimum-compensation account VDB'ers, then any checkin VDB'ers who meet the minumum compensation, then the cards. And from there, just pool the list and work the way up from the bottom. The goal would be to encourage people to have this done ahead of time so that if it comes to a VDB situation then the staff already knows from the system if they even need to pass out the cards.

But yeah, I love it. Game theory in action!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:10 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by maradori
1. Have preprinted cards made (more in a moment.) Cards would have 2 blanks - Name: and Amount:.

2. When a Denied Boarding situation arises, make an announcement along the lines of:

"We are unable to accomodate 13ą passengers on this flight. If you would be willing to take a later flight in exchange for compensation please take one of these cards. Fill in the card with your name and the amount of compensation you would like to receive, with a minumum of $200.

Once we have collected all of the cards we will select the 13 cards with the lowest amounts and rebook those passengers on a later flight. All passengers who are rebooked will receive the highest amount noted on any of the 13 selected cards, and in no case will receive less than $200.

Cards must be returned within FIVE MINUTES."

3. Collect the cards. (Number them in order of receipt in case of a tie for last place.)

4. Pick the the 13 cards with the lowest amounts, and send those people aside.
Sounds familiar. Isn't this auction-like system kinda related to what DL is doing?

http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/05/de...ping-into-eba/
Ah, you gave the game away.

Which is OK. But I wanted to do it.

Yes similar to what DL does, in that in oversell situations they ask you at checkin kiosks if you're interested and what you would like and how much - cash, vouchers, points and I think upgrades. (I've only done it once.). But you don't have to commit at this point.

But with AC anything more than pen and paper is likely too expensive. And if AC IT was involved then at first whiff of an oversell the computer would likely offload everyone then schedule the plane to India for scrap metal.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: AC E75K
So here's an off the top of my head solution to the problem.
A dutch auction tender offer! Someone work in finance?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE MM, Accor Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have to confess...I considered whether I had a case for asking for my e-ups back. But I think I knew the answer to that before I had even finished the thought :-) It's just the case of the "Ms. 2-A" that's really eating at me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.