Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is "Carrier Administration Service Charge" the new "Fuel Surcharge" (YQ) ?

Is "Carrier Administration Service Charge" the new "Fuel Surcharge" (YQ) ?

Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
naaaaah... just call it a scamcharge, like it really is.

Its been 10 months since they stealthly overnight started collecting it on behalf of Air Canada. Air Canada's lame explanation was that the other carriers asked them to collect the scamcharge. We all know that its not true, because UA and US still manage to issue tickets without said scamcharge on airlines such as LH or TG. And we all know there is no way in hell that if truly asked by those airlines to collect it, they would keep eating hundreds of dollars of YQ on every ticket.

Air Canada has probably made millions off of this scamcharge in the last 10 months.

I suspect it's more Aeroplan. It's just that they need more seats than AC (as the issuer) is willing to sell them at a price consistent with Aeroplan's valuation of the miles.

Remember that FF programs were based upon the notion that seats given out had little marginal value, i.e. they were effectively seats that were expected to go unsold (or go to upgrades). But clearly Aeroplan needs more "classic" seats than these that AC is willing to make available at a low price. Hence the co-pay. Just under devaluation of our miles since Aeroplan turned into for-profit Aeroscam.

Don't expect Aeroscam to call the co-pay the scamcharge that it is though.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Stranger
I suspect it's more Aeroplan.
It was clearly communicated that the scamcharge is collected on behalf of the ticketing carrier. In this case - the money trail stops at AC's pockets.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: AC-SE (MM), Hilton-Diamond (lifetime)
Now they are back to the "fuel surcharge" nomenclature

AP ticket YYZ-LHR-YYZ Thanksgiving weekend business class

Fuel Surcharge $770.00
Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services $30.00
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee $25.00
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax $3.25
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge $25.91
U.K. Air Passenger Duty $209.20
U.K. Domestic/International Passenger Service Charge $55.50
Total per passenger $1,118.86

Cheapest T+ $1,039.20 all in +28 total upgrade credits required.

Note that the "fuel surcharge" on the T+ is "only" $412.00
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Piratos

Fuel Surcharge $770.00
Incredible. Although I have you beat - the YQ on YYZ-SYD is $880.

I dont know how that proportional to the amount of fuel burned vs LHR

Air Canada must make millions every month off these scamcharges
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
Just a quick question, I know it has been mentioned before, but I had trouble finding the answers via search (too many threads hitting the keyword Scamcharge, lol)

The following airlines do NOT charge scamcharges for rewards booking?
United (UA), Scandinavian (SK), Singapore (SQ), South Africa (SA), Swiss (LX), Turkish (TK), Air China (CA), EgyptAir (MS)

Any other airlines I might be missing?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iamaho
Just a quick question, I know it has been mentioned before, but I had trouble finding the answers via search (too many threads hitting the keyword Scamcharge, lol)

The following airlines do NOT charge scamcharges for rewards booking?
United (UA), Scandinavian (SK), Singapore (SQ), South Africa (SA), Swiss (LX), Turkish (TK), Air China (CA), EgyptAir (MS)

Any other airlines I might be missing?
The airlines you listed do not attract scamcharges charged by Air Canada. There are other ones as well - like US, ET, CM, AV and some other smaller ones

This is a list of those airlines that Air Canada charges scamcharges on:
AC LH OS LO NH OZ TG JP TP

You have to remember, none of those airlines are charging you anything, its Air Canada as the ticketing carrier. Whatever they do with the money is up for debate.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by iamaho
Just FYI there's no need to search as the thread you seek about surcharges can be found in the AC forum FAQ in post #7 under "useful threads."
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: AC*E50k, AvisFirst, HHonors Diamond
Nothing new here folks, Aeroplan is a scam, fleecing the unwashed masses with the lure of "free flights".

Reality is, they are doubling-ending everybody...the retailers that pay a percentage, and then the unsuspecting customer when they try to redeem the points the retailers supposedly bought them.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beef
Nothing new here folks, Aeroplan is a scam, fleecing the unwashed masses with the lure of "free flights".

Reality is, they are doubling-ending everybody...the retailers that pay a percentage, and then the unsuspecting customer when they try to redeem the points the retailers supposedly bought them.
Aeroplan has made it very clear that the scamcharges are collected on behalf of the ticketing carrier - Air Canada. Thats where the money trail leads to, and ends at.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Aeroplan has made it very clear that the scamcharges are collected on behalf of the ticketing carrier - Air Canada. Thats where the money trail leads to, and ends at.
How many more times are you going to repeat this insignificant factoid? How Aeroplan pays AC for tickets is just internal cooking between the two culprits.

Whether Aeroscam simply pays a total amount or the same amount divided into two parts is immaterial. This is just an excuse to pass on part of the total to you and I.

So they invent this excuse, which losers seem to enjoy swallowing, hook, line, and sinker?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
How many more times are you going to repeat this insignificant factoid? How Aeroplan pays AC for tickets is just internal cooking between the two culprits.

Whether Aeroscam simply pays a total amount or the same amount divided into two parts is immaterial. This is just an excuse to pass on part of the total to you and I.

So they invent this excuse, which losers seem to enjoy swallowing, hook, line, and sinker?
Thank-you - I did not realize I was a loser - but since I book AE reward tickets I want to thank-you for clarifying my level in society ... I now prostate myself in front of your greatness ... NOT!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Thank-you - I did not realize I was a loser - but since I book AE reward tickets I want to thank-you for clarifying my level in society ... I now prostate myself in front of your greatness ... NOT!
Did you read my sentence?

You saying you buy into the excuse whereby supposedly the surcharge is an AC thing?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond

You saying you buy into the excuse whereby supposedly the surcharge is an AC thing?
I do not really care who wants the charge.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, yes. I do buy it. And you buy that AC has nothing to do with this.... doesnt really matter who believes what, your wallet is $1000 lighter at the end of the day for a ticket to London.

Perhaps you also buy that AC passes on these to the operating carrier ...... which also means that you buy that UA/US have been eating these charges all along, since of course they are requested by the operating carrier...

Maybe youve never used an award from an airline that charges these surcharges - but they are always collected by the airline that issues the ticket. Does AE get some of the money? Perhaps. We dont know that.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Just FYI it's prostrate Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding your statement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.